A different sort of iPhone data question...

sandos

Apr 28, 2009
So I've been checking out several forums and sites trying to find this particular answer, but I haven't been able to as of yet. Everyone wants to know how to avoid data altogether, I just want to pay less for it frankly. So here's my question:

Just bought an unlocked and jailbroken first generation 8GB iPhone (aka 2G). I currently have a Moto Razr on AT&T. My unlimited data AND text is $30 per month. Looks like the iPhone data plan by itself is $30, before text. Can I simply use the iPhone with my existing data plan and be OK? I've seen a lot of talk about AT&T cracking down on 3G users; are they doing the same for 2G?

Would I not prefer this anyway, in order to use apps like SwirlyMMS? Or was I reading old or confusing information about it's compatibility with an unlocked and jailbroken phone on AT&Pee?

Thanks for the help.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
You have unlimited data and unlimited text for 30 a month? Thats a good deal right there.
If your phone is unlocked just put the sim and and you should be good.

sandos

Apr 28, 2009
You have unlimited data and unlimited text for 30 a month? Thats a good deal right there.
If your phone is unlocked just put the sim and and you should be good.
That's the going rate for non-blackberry, non-pda data plans with text...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I don't know for sure, but something tells me those "medianet" data plans won't work on the iPhone.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I agree with Dave. The MediaNet is a lot different than the data type and usage you will have with the iPhone. I'm not sure if it would be worth the risk of getting huge data overage charges.

sandos

Apr 28, 2009
I agree with Dave. The MediaNet is a lot different than the data type and usage you will have with the iPhone. I'm not sure if it would be worth the risk of getting huge data overage charges.
That's true... I guess that's the risk I'm trying to gage. I'm not a heavy data user at all, and most of the time I'm around a wifi router when I'm using data anyway, but I just want to have the "luxury" of not being tied to using wifi only with the iPhone... But I'd like to be as frugal as possible about it, especially considering AT&T didn't give me any sort of discount on equipment or anything; why should I have to pay them some pumped up price for data?

One thing I do know for sure is so far, so good. Everything actually works fine when it relates to data, so I suppose the only step from here is seeing if they "catch on" and do something about it (ie. 3G users).

Thanks for the input... Open to more comment of course.

Anyone actually doing this right now?

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
At&T will realize what you are doing once the media net data cap gets really high. The iPhone is no "data Prius" if you get what i mean.

You'll beable to use the cheaper data plan, but be aware that AT&T may delete the service leaving you without data...and they don't always tell you that they've changed something on the account so you could be potentially looking at VERY expensive overages.

sandos

Apr 28, 2009
At&T will realize what you are doing once the media net data cap gets really high. The iPhone is no "data Prius" if you get what i mean.

You'll beable to use the cheaper data plan, but be aware that AT&T may delete the service leaving you without data...and they don't always tell you that they've changed something on the account so you could be potentially looking at VERY expensive overages.
Interesting. Now does the iPhone indicate when a data plan is on the account or not? Similar to how a Blackberry will show edge (or 3g, notice the lowercase) on the menu bar when there is no data plan on the account but EDGE (or 3G, with uppercase), when there is an active data plan?

Anyone know where to find the "small print" on the Media Net data plan and it's cap?

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
The phone itself wont register that there is no data. Im assuming everything downloaded/uploaded as far as data would be through the 3G when out and about r when your not connected to wifi.

It would be the same as getting online and buying ringtones with the razor if you had no data plan. The KB charges would be immense.

Adam1389

Silver
Nov 20, 2008
Ilwaco, WA
You can run the iPhone on MediaNet, but once AT&T realizes you are using an iPhone, they will automatically add the iPhone plan to it

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Download that new ATT app from the appstore to view what plan you're on and how much data you've used so far.