A few 'before I buy' newbie questions

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Colin

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
I'm currently in a V3 and am considering the iPhone because of the large, easy to read screen. I'm certainly not old, but due to a cataract, my eyesight isn't what it was. I've looked at most of the SmartPhones out there and quite frankly, I can't read them easily.

I am concerned that it won't meet my changing businesss needs, (not that the razr does either) and am wondering if any phone will? So on to my questions:

1) Is there a limit to the number of contacts? Would 1000 names and addresses fit? Is there a way to make separate directories for personal and businesss?

2) I've read there is no way to cut and paste, but is there a way to save e-mail templates?

3) For work, we use a web based CRM, however in my PC it required the installation of version 1.4.1_02 of the Java Runtime Environment. I've read the the iPhone doesn't support Java but is this something different than the Java games? If I could get into our work CRM, through Safari I could use the e-mail templates stored there.

4) Synching contacts: I use Act! as my contact manager and e-mail client. I don't expect the iPhone to work with that, but I can export the contact I want to sync into either outlook or windows address book. I don't want todos to sync and would prefer the sync to be 'one way' only ie; WCM -> iPhone only. Is this configurable?

I've been reading this board for some time now, but using the search feature has been frustrating as I can't seem to narrow it down enough to find answers to my specific questions. Thanks for reading my long post, and Merry Christmas!

*edited to 'hopefully' remove the adword crap

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
I'm currently in a V3 and am considering the iPhone because of the large, easy to read screen. I'm certainly not old, but due to a cataract, my eyesight isn't what it was. I've looked at most of the SmartPhones
out there and quite frankly, I can't read them easily.
Some of the features are "zoomable" such as the Safari web browser, and they will be easy for you to read. I suggest playing with one for a few minutes to evaluate the rest.

1) Is there a limit to the number of contacts? Would 1000 names and addresses fit? Is there a way to make separate directories for personal and businesss?
I have over a thousand contacts but have not found a way to categorize them. There's also no way to search them.

2) I've read there is no way to cut and paste, but is there a way to save e-mail
templates?
Not currently.

3) For work, we use a web based CRM, however in my PC
it required the installation of version 1.4.1_02 of the Java Runtime Environment. I've read the the iPhone doesn't support Java but is this something different than the Java games? If I could get into our work CRM, through Safari I could use the e-mail templates stored there.
No, if you require Java, my understanding is that it will not work.

4) Synching contacts: I use Act! as my contact manager and e-mail client. I don't expect the iPhone to work with that, but I can export the contact I want to sync into either outlook
or windows address book. I don't want todos to sync and would prefer the sync to be 'one way' only ie; WCM -> iPhone only. Is this configurable?
Yes, you can specify what syncs.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
What's up with all those links? Are you Chris716? Are you the same Collin that went spam happy the other night?

If not, sorry for the bombarding questions.

- John

Colin

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
No this is my first visit to this forum. I've posted the question in another forum with no replies,so I thought I'd try here. I guess when I cut my message, it brought that linking crap. Sorry I hate those things more than you can imagine!

Colin

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
Edited the original post to clean it up.

Thanks for the replies. Starting on the 1st, I'll be 'graded' on my e-mail replies to potential clients. Scoring factors will be timeliness (within one hour) and content (must provide price quote if asked).

The current workflow is as such:
-Prospect visits website to inquire and generates an inquiry.
-I immediately receive an email message telling me I have a new lead.
-I log into the CRM system and reply through the mail server there to log my reply time and use a set template that meets the content requirements.

With the iPhone I cannot get into the CRM system because it's Java based, but I will still have the email notification that I have a message, and the reply mail address. If I could figure out a way to use mail templates via some form of webmail, I suppose I could log in through Safari, select a template and reply immediately? Does this sound plausible?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Okay, sorry for the misunderstanding there. See, a member with the name Collin registered the other day, and as I said, went spam happy.

Welcome to the boards!

- John

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I'm currently in a V3 and am considering the iPhone because of the large, easy to read screen. I'm certainly not old, but due to a cataract, my eyesight isn't what it was.
Why not get that foggy lens of your replaced? The procedure takes about a half hour and recovery time is a few days. I've had both eyes done.

Of course, I've also had two vitrectomies, a scleral buckle...:)

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
Edited the original post to clean it up.

Thanks for the replies. Starting on the 1st, I'll be 'graded' on my e-mail replies to potential clients. Scoring factors will be timeliness (within one hour) and content (must provide price quote if asked).

The current workflow is as such:
-Prospect visits website to inquire and generates an inquiry.
-I immediately receive an email message telling me I have a new lead.
-I log into the CRM system and reply through the mail server there to log my reply time and use a set template that meets the content requirements.

With the iPhone I cannot get into the CRM system because it's Java based, but I will still have the email notification that I have a message, and the reply mail address. If I could figure out a way to use mail templates via some form of webmail, I suppose I could log in through Safari, select a template and reply immediately? Does this sound plausible?
Unfortunately I don't think there is any way to do the templates for email like you want. I suppose a work around would be to email the templates to yourself, move them to a template folder on the phone and then always use those and hit reply or forward to the new email address of the client. It's kind of a cludge but would work.

As for contact categories, you can't do it on the iPhone itself, but if you set up the contacts in a certain category in outlook the categories will be transfered over to the iPhone and you can view the contacts in each of the categories. I do it all the time.

Colin

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
Why not get that foggy lens of your replaced? The procedure takes about a half hour and recovery time is a few days. I've had both eyes done.

Of course, I've also had two vitrectomies, a scleral buckle...:)
Oh I will have it replaced, but since I had Lasik done 5-6 years prior, my corneas are no longer perfectly round, There are no reliable calculations out yet that can adjust for this to get the replacement lens ''just right'. Hopefully with time, we'll start to see better post-lasik cataract done, but I don't want to be patient number 2 for this in Hawaii....

Colin

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
I suppose a work around would be to email the templates to yourself, move them to a template folder on the phone ....
It's funny, I thought of the e-mailing to yourself and then forwarding (and editing) the message in the middle of the night!? It should provide a workaround hack for the 10% of the time that I'm away from my home or office computers.

As for contact categories, you can't do it on the iPhone itself, but if you set up the contacts in a certain category in outlook the categories will be transfered over to the iPhone and you can view the contacts in each of the categories. I do it all the time.
I'll be exporting the contacts I want to sync from Act 2000 into either outlook or windows contact manager. If I include my sort field ie: Family, Friends, Sold Clients etc. I am able to select only one of the categories? This is good news since Sold Clients number in the hundreds, but I don't call them often but it would be nice to know their info if needed. Thank you all

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
It's funny, I thought of the e-mailing to yourself and then forwarding (and editing) the message in the middle of the night!? It should provide a workaround hack for the 10% of the time that I'm away from my home or office computers.

I'll be exporting the contacts I want to sync from Act 2000 into either outlook or windows contact manager. If I include my sort field ie: Family, Friends, Sold Clients etc. I am able to select only one of the categories? This is good news since Sold Clients number in the hundreds, but I don't call them often but it would be nice to know their info if needed. Thank you all
You would be better off exporting to the Outlook as that is the default for the iPhone sync.

Colin

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
You would be better off exporting to the Outlook as that is the default for the iPhone sync.
Wow, funny thing is that I just realized that I don't have Outlook installed on my system! I do have the other Office 2000 programs and could install Outlook 2000 from my disc, but it looks like it only supports 2003 and 2007. I have 2003 but it's not going to pass Office Genuine disAdvantage.... [caugh]. I guess Outlook express is the next best thing?

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Oh I will have it replaced, but since I had Lasik done 5-6 years prior, my corneas are no longer perfectly round, There are no reliable calculations out yet that can adjust for this to get the replacement lens ''just right'. Hopefully with time, we'll start to see better post-lasik cataract done, but I don't want to be patient number 2 for this in Hawaii....
Understood! After having two cataract surgeries, having a band installed around my left eye, and the vitreous removed from both eyes due to detached retinas (still recovering from one of those), I'm ready to settle down...:)

However, my eyesight is pretty good. About 20/30 corrected in each eye.

Colin

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
I should have looked on my phone, I have it in the weather section, 80 right now. Also we are going to the less rainy side in Koloa. I can look and see the beach in the google maps...awesome phone.
Ha ha I didn't know there was a "less rainy" side of Kauai! Have you seen all the press they've been getting protesting the inter island superferry? They are the Hawaiian equivalent of your worst stereotype of a hillbilly. (apologies to anyone of a 'Appalachian nature' here).