A few iPod touch Questions

Bitter

Sep 15, 2007
Alright, well first off, I am new to this community, as you can obviously see. I like how this place looks and seems very promising.

My reasons for coming here are simple. I just ordered an iPod touch online and I want to know the latest on all the newest stuff for iPhone, iPod, etc.

So, enough rambling, here is what I wanted to ask.

1. The iPod touch is clearly sleek and clean looking, but what I am worried about is what is contained on it, such as WiFi. I have a few products from various companies that offer WiFi on a device that is portable, and those never went over too well with me either because of the visuals on the screen are not quite that great such as images wouldn't display, or it would not work in many hotspots and there were only 1 or two hotspots anywhere near places i go. Would this be the case with the iPod touch too? I know from seeing some videos it can display pages well, but I haven't seen too much, so I am still curious about how well the internet works with it.

2. The WiFi Store only sells music, correct? No videos or anything else?

3. Will there be any 3rd Party applications for the iPod touch?

Pretty much, I am just curious of what I picture in my head is what it actually is any I am not convincing myself that this product is better/worse than I expect/hope.

If someone can answer these questions, that would be a big help. Thanks.

Bitter.

blacklabel775

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
You should know, I don't own an iPod Touch, but I own an iPhone and have played with the iPod touch for a while waiting in the Apple Store.

From what i have seen, the iPod touch wireless is exactly the same as the iPhone's. Which means you can access any WiFi networks that are either unlocked or which you have (or can get) the password for. Once you have entered the passoword once and if you have your device set to automatically join known networks, you will connect to the network automatically. Meaning, you wont even have to remember passwords.

The internet is very true to life, just without flash support, so no flash videos or games will work. And the screen quality is sharp, overviews of some crowded websites may look pretty bad, but all you have to do is zoom in a bit and it all becomes clear.

The WiFi store only sells music.

Third party applications are still up in the air. There are some talented people who i firmly believe will be able to open it up to third party apps, but at the current moment there's no possible way.

Hope I helped you out.

Bitter

Sep 15, 2007
Thank you for your reply. It did help quite a bit. I do not own an iPhone at the moment, but I might be getting one if I like how the iPod touch works out, and I am curious if the internet would even be useful. You said it can connect to any network that allows it and that you have the password for, but are there a lot of networks it can connect from, and from a lot of areas? I am asking this because I want to see if I can actually go around town, or on vacation, and be able to use the WiFi without having to find the nearest PC/Mac and go online from there. Most portable devices I see with WiFi cannot find a network to connect to pretty much anywhere. So it was a big let down for those products. Is the iPod touch the same? Or improved? Thanks.

Bitter.

blacklabel775

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Finding and connecting to wireless on an iPod touch is easy.

When you first get it, you'll want to go into the settings menu on the phone. From settings go into the Wireless menu. From there you'll want to make sure wireless is on and then you can see a list of the WiFi networks that you are in range of. You can connect to any of those networks just by touching the name. However, some people choose to put a password on their network if this is the case then you will need to obtain the password somehow.

A beautiful feature is that you can also turn on a setting in the wireless menu that has the device "Ask You to Join Networks". If you are in a hotspot when you unlock the device a list of WiFi networks will pop up and you will be able to chose the one you want. Also, with this feature, if you have already connected to a network (say: your homes network), when you get in range of your homes WiFi signal, the device will automatically connect to it when unlocked.

Also, some places, like airports will push you onto a homepage and you must register before accessing the network. My universities' wireless network is like that, but after i registered the first time i never had to do it again. I can walk around the whole campus and have wireless access nearly everywhere i am and i don't have to touch a button.

Bitter

Sep 15, 2007
Oh I see what you mean, so usually, even when you are out of your home's network, there are usually other networks available, correct?

blacklabel775

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
It depends where you are. Here in Boulder, CO it's almost hard to find a spot where i can't find a wireless network.

The availability of wireless networks depends on where you are. Many resaraunts, coffee shops, book stores, a lot of retail stores, etc, will offer free WiFi. In areas with dense housing (apartments, develpoments, cities), you will typically be able to find a signal from a neighbor. So in businesss districts of towns and in major cities you can typically pick up wireless from off the street.

In more suburban to rural areas you will have to be in your house (or a friends house) to get a wireless signal.

On vacation you will be able to get access through the hotel network.

You will not get WiFi on the beach, on a hike, etc. You have to be fairly close to the wireless router (few hundred feet).