A Few of my Latest Shots!

ADDam

Bronze
Mar 2, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Here's a few shots I have taken in the last month...

Whatcha Think!?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Ok then! I'm quite impressed. Those are some serious shots there. Would you be offended if I asked what, if any, post-production was done? Those colors are amazingly rich.

also, any advice on a solid digital SLR around a grand or less for a father-to-be? (not an announcement... just planning for the future)

ADDam

Bronze
Mar 2, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Pretty much any picture that you see on the internet has been put through post production. I shoot my photos in a RAW format, which means they usually come out bland and uninteresting (like 'raw' meat), and they still need to be "cooked" in post production.

If you shoot in JPEG, then the camera will apply it's own form of post processing, which is fine but I prefer to do my own.

As far as recommending a DSLR, I am a hard core Nikon fan. I believe that their camera's are physically better looking and simpler to use, Canon's have a million "unnecessary" buttons. But it's kinda like Mac vs PC, Nikon Being the Mac.

I have a Nikon D90, Which so far, has been awesome! It's the first DSLR to shoot HD Video, although it's a secondary feature it does it quite well. You can get Nikon DSLR's for as cheap as $400 (D40), but the problem with that is there is no autofocus motor in the camera, and you will have to buy more expensive lenses that contain the AF motor in itself. I would recommend anything from the D80 and up. I actually think they just retired the D80, you can still get them used in about the $700+ range. My camera was $1400 when I bought it, You can get it for $1155 now. For the Movie feature is a big plus, and if you are starting a family then it may be beneficial to you as well. Check out some of
videos that he shot with the D90. Pretty Amazing, huh? Let me know if you have any other questions.

Oh and BTW, Best buy has no interest financing for 18 months right now on their in-store credit card, that's how I got mine. For me it's something like $80 a month same as cash, which is great!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Thanks for the details and links. I had a feeling you'd recommend the D90, and that's what I'm aiming for.

And please don't think I'm judging you by asking about the post-production. I work in audio and spend entire days tuning vocals and editing rhythm sections for timing. I know how it goes. If the source is crap, no amount of post will save it. Much respect for quality output!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
And, may I add: effective editing is an essential skill for today's digital artists. If you can't do it, it doesn't matter how good your shots are.

efuseakay

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2008
Also... check out:

http://dpreview.com

Believe me, you will spend untold hours there. :)

Also, be careful buying a camera online, as there are many fakes/non-warranty scams out there... especially from "shops" in NY.

You would be better off going to Ritz/Wolf/etc. and getting a camera at an actual store in case there were any problems. You may pay a bit more, but you will thank yourself later should any problems arise.

ADDam

Bronze
Mar 2, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Hey Dave I made a RAW/JPEG comparison for you too see what actually comes out of the camera.

1. RAW image

2. JPEG - Camera does it's own PP (bleh!)

3. RAW + Me doing my thing in Photoshop! :cool:

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Nice! Where'd that cloud come from? ;)

My old Canon S-30 did raw shots, but my current Sony doesn't. Yet another reason to go SLR.

ADDam

Bronze
Mar 2, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Yeah, RAW is pretty much useless to people who do not intend on doing any PP, as the file extension is .NEF, Myspace doesn't recognize that (sarcasm). The nice thing about the D90 is you can set it up so that it takes a RAW and a JPEG at the same time, just incase you find a picture you want to do some PP to yourself. But its nice to have JPEG for quick snapshots, just for the ease of uploading to third party sites. RAW's are typically about 10 megabytes each, so they take up space...QUICK! :sick:

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
The nice thing about the D90 is you can set it up so that it takes a RAW and a JPEG at the same time, just incase you find a picture you want to do some PP to yourself. But its nice to have JPEG for quick snapshots, just for the ease of uploading to third party sites. RAW's are typically about 10 megabytes each, so they take up space...QUICK! :sick:
How much does that slow down the D90 to have it in that mode? Keep in mind I'm coming from a point-and-shoot.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yeah, RAW is pretty much useless to people who do not intend on doing any PP
I'll also go on record stating my wife does 90% of our post. She's quite adept at cleaning up and uploading our photos to Kodak. Red-eyes, zits, bad backgrounds... gone. Our friends love our compilations. Again, kudos to the post team.

ADDam

Bronze
Mar 2, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Doesn't miss a beat! Shoots 4.5 Frames per second.

Fu*kin'eh Dave, go to sleep! My alarm is gonna go off in 3 hours... ugh!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
very nice.

there's a lot of good photography around here, but i like these few pics the best... post production or not.

UFGator

Jul 17, 2007
They are all excellent, but the first one is brilliant!

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Great photos Addam.

+1 on the D90 recommendation. I just upgraded from an old Olympus E-1 and it's amazing. One thing you'll enjoy about DSLR is the lack of red eye. My Canon point and shoot is a red eye magnet. Portable and takes great photos, but very susceptible to red eye.

I got mine from B&H. Get yourself a filter to protect your lens.

-Chris

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Slide show is great - thanks. Especially like the shots of bird by dock, bird wading in tiny ripply waves, and the snow-covered train tracks.

Any objections if I share that on Friendfeed? There are a lot of pro photographers and photography nuts on there ...

meems

Bronze
Dec 3, 2008
Great photos! Love how sharp and crisp they look.

MacArt

Jan 6, 2009
So is RAW only useful when you intend to do some PP?

I tend to import 90% of photos without PP, and only do some PP to a few. What do you recommend I shoot in?