a few questions before i do anything just yet.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

jennaftw

Oct 29, 2007
Portland, OR
myspace.com
i wanna ask a couple questions here that i can't seem to get answered in the other thread i had going over in software.
maybe this is the better topic to post under for this...

i'm a new owner of an iPhone. i just bought mine on sunday and i have to say the only research i did was just play with a bit in the store which is shocking to me because usually i spend about a month going through reviews before i even think about purchasing something like this. but being that my blackberry toasted on me that day, it was imperative that i get a new phone. stat. so i just splurged...

ok, as far as modding goes. i don't want to do anything drastic, all i really want is to be able to get custom ringtones and some other alert tones on my phone without having to purchase any from iTunes. (or possibly maybe get a wallpaper to show on the icon screen. basically just simple mods like that?)
i've already made a ringtone i'd like to use, but getting it on my phone is where i need to do the following, i think...

jailbreaking.
can someone explain this?
what do i do in order to do this?
(i'm on a windows desktop computer and my iPhone is 1.1.1.)

1. does it void my warranty? or will a restore still simply put my phone back to normal?
2. i've heard something about ibrickr? what are the differences... and/or what is this?

no matter what i do, i want to make sure i can put my phone back to complete normal with a restore.
can anyone help me?

i just need to know the basics of all this modding stuff, i suppose.
thank you so much!

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
jailbreaking.
can someone explain this?
what do i do in order to do this?
(i'm on a windows desktop computer and my iPhone is 1.1.1.)

1. does it void my warranty? or will a restore still simply put my phone back to normal?
2. i've heard something about ibrickr? what are the differences... and/or what is this?

no matter what i do, i want to make sure i can put my phone back to complete normal with a restore.
can anyone help me?

i just need to know the basics of all this modding stuff, i suppose.
thank you so much!
Jailbreaking is opening the software on the phone to permit the installation and operation of 3rd party (Non-Apple provided) software. Doing so voids your warranty, however it does no physical damage to the phone so a restore will put the phone back into "stock" condition should the need occur.

Unlocking is different, unlocking permits the phone to work with non-AT&T cell phone service providers and is a more dangerous process as it can, and has been known to, cause the phone to become unusable (bricked).

iBrickr is a desktop program that runs on a Windows machine that links both to your iPhone connected to the computer through the USB cable and also connects over the internet to a file repository that houses the installable software that can run on the iPhone once jailbroken. It does not currently work on version 1.1.1.

During the jailbreak process a program is installed on your phone called installer. This program does the same basic functions as iBrickr yet is run entirely on the phone. When you launch the program it will connect over Edge (or WiFi if you are so connected) to the file repository and will permit you to install software right onto the phone from the phone.

To jailbreak a 1.1.1 version iPhone that is NOT unlocked to work with a non-AT&T provider, you simply need to open Safari on the iPhone and connect to a webpage called jailbreakme dot com and there is a selection to jailbreak your phone. The process takes a few minutes and restarts your phone when completed. If successful you will have a new icon on your phones desktop called installer. You can then use that to install software as desired onto the phone.

I don't think I forgot anything but if I did, someone will correct me.

jennaftw

Oct 29, 2007
Portland, OR
myspace.com
wow, thank you very much. that was a lot of information. lol.
my phone isn't unlocked for another provider. i have AT&T as my service provider and i just purchased my phone at an AT&T store here in downtown portland everything is good there.

i guess i'll just bite my lip and give it a try.
i'm just scared of screwing anything up. when you pay $400 for a gadget anything like this just freaks me out. lol. but if that's what i have to do to get ringtones and what not and make this thing even cool to have then i guess i'll give it a shot, because at this point i'm really not happy with the phone but i'm stuck with it so i'm trying to just make the best of it.

thanks so much. :)

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
wow, thank you very much. that was a lot of information. lol.
my phone isn't unlocked for another provider. i have AT&T as my service provider and i just purchased my phone at an AT&T store here in downtown portland everything is good there.

i guess i'll just bite my lip and give it a try.
i'm just scared of screwing anything up. when you pay $400 for a gadget anything like this just freaks me out. lol. but if that's what i have to do to get ringtones and what not and make this thing even cool to have then i guess i'll give it a shot, because at this point i'm really not happy with the phone but i'm stuck with it so i'm trying to just make the best of it.

thanks so much. :)

Have faith. As long as you are an AT&T customer, modd your butt off! You can always restore to factory settings. The problem people are having is when they are not AT&T cusomers. I don't know of anyone that has "bricked" their AT&T iPhone. I must have restored mine 50 times by now....experimenting, tinkering around...

go to www.modmyi.com and check out some of what's available. And research here about the new way to jailbreak your 1.1.1 iPhone.

jennaftw

Oct 29, 2007
Portland, OR
myspace.com
Have faith. As long as you are an AT&T customer, modd your butt off! You can always restore to factory settings. The problem people are having is when they are not AT&T cusomers. I don't know of anyone that has "bricked" their AT&T iPhone. I must have restored mine 50 times by now....experimenting, tinkering around...

go to www.modmyi.com and check out some of what's available. And research here about the new way to jailbreak your 1.1.1 iPhone.
oh, that makes me feel a lot better. haha.
thanks!

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
I was looking at your posts from yesterday and thought I would add this...

I downloaded a free program onto my winxp laptop called wavepad. Free forever but they also have a version you can pay for if you want. This program allows me to pull a single song and cut the 25 or 30 seconds that I want to use a ringtone and saves it to my desktop. From here I use ibrickr (another free program ) to import it into the iPhone as a ringer. I can do the same thing for system sounds like email and whatever... all free. Of course someone did work hard and i'm sure you could donate if you felt the urge.

Good luck and start enjoying your iPhone. :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

jennaftw

Oct 29, 2007
Portland, OR
myspace.com
ah, ok. well, i did the jailbreakme.com thing using the Apple stores wifi across the street. it worked. the installer is on my screen but it crashes every time i try to open it. now i've tried turning my phone off and it's stuck on the black screen with the circle loading thing. it's been there for about 10 mins now. i can't get it to finish shutting off or anything.

aye.
great.

Stevonw

Silver
Sep 14, 2007
UK
ah, ok. well, i did the jailbreakme.com thing using the Apple stores wifi across the street. it worked. the installer is on my screen but it crashes every time i try to open it. now i've tried turning my phone off and it's stuck on the black screen with the circle loading thing. it's been there for about 10 mins now. i can't get it to finish shutting off or anything.

aye.
great.
I've found the jailbreakme.com to be flakey at best.

You are better to use USB methods on either Windows or OS X (OS X methods are super easy, especially with iFuntastic!)

:laugh2:

jennaftw

Oct 29, 2007
Portland, OR
myspace.com
I've found the jailbreakme.com to be flakey at best.

You are better to use USB methods on either Windows or OS X (OS X methods are super easy, especially with iFuntastic!)

:laugh2:
unfortunately i'm a pc owner who only wishes she had the bucks to be a mac owner.

i got it to work though. i just had to hold down the sleep/wake and home buttons together until it blanked out weird, then just turned it back on. installer is working fine now.
i downloaded the nes thing everyone's talking about but it says...
"No ROMS Found. No NES ROMs were found. Please upload ROMs to /var/root/Media/ROMs/NES"

which actually brings me to another question. what's this... winscp thing? is that like iPhonebrowser? because i couldn't get iPhonebrowser to work on my computer...
how do i use winscp?

Stevonw

Silver
Sep 14, 2007
UK
unfortunately i'm a pc owner who only wishes she had the bucks to be a mac owner.

i got it to work though. i just had to hold down the sleep/wake and home buttons together until it blanked out weird, then just turned it back on. installer is working fine now.
"No ROMS Found. No NES ROMs were found. Please upload ROMs to /var/root/Media/ROMs/NES"

which actually brings me to another question. what's this... winscp thing? is that like iPhonebrowser? because i couldn't get iPhonebrowser to work on my computer...
how do i use winscp?
WinSCP is a Wireless SFTP browser, meaning it lets you browse through the iPhone at root level and mess about with any and every file on the iPhone (requires you have OpenSSH and BSD Subsystem installed on your iPhone). It also means u can add files etc via this. It means you need access to a PC with WIFI ;)

You can also upload the roms through iBrickr (this method is achieved via USB)

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines

how do i use winscp?

I use ibrickr. You need to google NES roms and you'll download those files to your sesk top. The winscp is a similar option I always used ibrickr

Stevonw

Silver
Sep 14, 2007
UK
Beat ya 2 it ;). So basically;

iBrickr for USB

or

WinSCP for Wireless (WI-FI Access)

Both will achieve you the same result :laugh2:

jennaftw

Oct 29, 2007
Portland, OR
myspace.com
WinSCP is a Wireless SFTP browser, meaning it lets you browse through the iPhone at root level and mess about with any and every file on the iPhone (requires you have OpenSSH and BSD Subsystem installed on your iPhone). It also means u can add files etc via this. It means you need access to a PC with WIFI ;)

You can also upload the roms through iBrickr (this method is achieved via USB)
how do i get/install OpenSSH and BSD subsystem for my phone?

and this ibrickr... does it work with 1.1.1? i heard someone say it doesn't and it will actually just downgrade my phone? can someone explain that to me?

so sorry for all these stupid questions! i'm just trying to be able to understand all this stuff before i mess with my phone too much.
thanks for your patience. :)

jennaftw

Oct 29, 2007
Portland, OR
myspace.com
I use ibrickr. You need to google NES roms and you'll download those files to your sesk top. The winscp is a similar option I always used ibrickr
my sesk top?

klsadj;g. i'm so confused. lmao. i'm usually really good with computers and devices but this is really confusing to me for some reason. lol. all these different things and the pc and mac compatibility stuff.
ergh. lol.

Stevonw

Silver
Sep 14, 2007
UK
how do i get/install OpenSSH and BSD subsystem for my phone?

and this ibrickr... does it work with 1.1.1? i heard someone say it doesn't and it will actually just downgrade my phone? can someone explain that to me?

so sorry for all these stupid questions! i'm just trying to be able to understand all this stuff before i mess with my phone too much.
thanks for your patience. :)
I'm assuming you haven't got Installer on your iPhone yet :(

So basically you wanna get installer on your iPhone as this will give you access to a load of programs. It again requires access to a wifi connection (only to download the apps).

You need to get installer on your phone. Try downloading iBrickr and putting the Installer in the Applications folder then restarting your phone and running it.

jennaftw

Oct 29, 2007
Portland, OR
myspace.com
I'm assuming you haven't got Installer on your iPhone yet :(

So basically you wanna get installer on your iPhone as this will give you access to a load of programs. It again requires access to a wifi connection (only to download the apps).

You need to get installer on your phone. Try downloading iBrickr and putting the Installer in the Applications folder then restarting your phone and running it.
i have the installer on my phone.
i just went and stole the Apple store's wifi across the street and did the whole jailbreakme.com thing. i have the installer on my screen now.

but i can't find any of the applications anyone is talking about in the installer? customize? ibrickr? etc.? ?

Stevonw

Silver
Sep 14, 2007
UK
You need to install the "Community Sources" in the the list then it should auto-refresh ;)

It adds more sources, which gives u access to even more apps :D

Btw OpenSSH should be installed AFTER thhe BSD Subsystem as OpenSSH requires it to run ;)

jennaftw

Oct 29, 2007
Portland, OR
myspace.com
You need to install the "Community Sources" in the the list then it should auto-refresh ;)

It adds more sources, which gives u access to even more apps :D

Btw OpenSSH should be installed AFTER thhe BSD Subsystem as OpenSSH requires it to run ;)

oooh! thank you, thank you, thank you.
i see them all now.
lmao.
i gottt it now.

thank you!
lol.