A few questions.....

RickL

Bronze
Aug 24, 2009
First off hello, my names Rick. I just got a 3gs and I love it. I was a bit confused at first with syncing the music. I figured it out and now im drag and dropping the music to the phone. Adding files not syncing them, that way I don't haft to have a bunch of music taking up space on the computer so next time add music it don't erase all of whats on the phone cause its not in the library. So my first question is when I go to sync the photos is it going to take the music off my iPhone cause I don't have it in the library?

Im confused on syncing the photos to my iPhone from my mini sandisc. I had separate folders in my old nokia express music like dog pics under one, gun pics under another separate folder ext.. When I went to transfer them to the phone I would sync one batch of photos and then sync another and it would replace the ones I previously sync'd with the ones I currently sync'd. Im new to iTunes. Never had an ipod so its all new to me. Im also using a pc. My 1st question is can I have separate folders to store different type of photos? It seems like i can't. Can someone point me out to a thread ( ive searched but found nothing ) Or give me step by steps it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks you

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Rick
In iTunes with your phone hooked up go to the music tab and uncheck "sync music" then you won't lose your music. However and music or videos that you buy from iTunes must be stored in the iTunes folder or you will lose your purchases if your phone ever crashes.
You can click on file-add folders to library to add your photo albums. You cannot create new folders on your iPhone so make all the folders you want on your PC before adding them to the iTunes library.

RickL

Bronze
Aug 24, 2009
I click on add folder and it does nothing? Can I just drag n drop for folders some how?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Storing you music only on your phone is a good way to lose all your music for good. What if you lose or break the phone or something happens requiring a factory restore?

Create a folder on your computer called iPhone Pictures, drag all the pictures you want on the phone into that folder, sync that folder onto the phone through iTunes.

RickL

Bronze
Aug 24, 2009
I don't care if I lose all my music I can put on there again, all my music comes from my personal CDs anyway nothings bought off iTunes so.... Ill just down load them again. Plus I don't want All the memory on my computer being taken up with music. I have more music then I do gb on
my computer. I just want It to my phone and that's it crashes it crashes.

So I have separate folders or do all my phots haft to be in one folder? Is there any other way to to get the folders on the phone with out iTunes'on a pc? I'm not to fond of iTunes lol coming from someone who never used a mac of Any kind I'm not catching on to well lol

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Sure you can have many different photo folders no problem but with iTunes open you should be able to click on the top left menu item 'file' and then click on add folder and you should be able to browse the files on your PC and add those photo folders to your iTunes library. You do have iTunes installed on your PC?

As for your CDs, add them to iTunes and sync them to your phone. You can always delete them from your PC after you get them on your phone. But when you want to add more music the CD's you've deleted from your PC will probably be deleted from the phone as well when you resync. Like I said, you can turn music sync off and your music will stay but when you turn music sync back on to add a song that's when you lose what's been removed from iTunes.

I maybe wrong on that but I don't think so.

RickL

Bronze
Aug 24, 2009
Sure you can have many different photo folders no problem but with iTunes open you should be able to click on the top left menu item 'file' and then click on add folder and you should be able to browse the files on your PC and add those photo folders to your iTunes library. You do have iTunes installed on your PC?

As for your CDs, add them to iTunes and sync them to your phone. You can always delete them from your PC after you get them on your phone. But when you want to add more music the CD's you've deleted from your PC will probably be deleted from the phone as well when you resync. Like I said, you can turn music sync off and your music will stay but when you turn music sync back on to add a song that's when you lose what's been removed from iTunes.

I maybe wrong on that but I don't think so.

Yeah I have iTunes installed on my pc. I went to file and hit add folder, nothing happened, I didn't see anything come up. Where in the library would the folder appear at? Under the phone in the photos tab?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I wouldn't use iTunes to create folders for photos. Do it outside of iTunes.

Create the folder in Explorer (or start from "My Computer), such as .../My Documents/iPhone Pics.

Create as many sub-folders under that folder as you want.

Copy photos to those folders.

Go to iTunes, the Photos tab, and tell it to sync to the photos folder created earlier (Sync Photos From-->Choose Folder).

That should do it.

--
Mike

RickL

Bronze
Aug 24, 2009
Thanks slot guys I got it to work. Have one more question. Lol( sorry ) is there a way to transfer the digital copies that come with the blu Ray disc to the iPhone? I downloaded one through iTunes,I drug it to my phone and it took like 30 min to transfer and nothing?nothingnunder movies or video.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yes, you can do that. After running the disc, the movie should show up in your iTunes library. Open iTunes and go to LIBRARY > Movies (it's in the upper left corner in iTunes). Then check the box to the left of the movie. Then click on Your Phone under Devices and go to the Video tab. Scroll down to Movies and make sure the Sync movies box is checked as well as the box next to the movie underneath it.

RickL

Bronze
Aug 24, 2009
Ok I'll give that try tomorrow. What was it doing for a half hour when I drug it to the phone, it said it syncd it but nothings there.

RickL

Bronze
Aug 24, 2009
I just did it and lost all my music lol wasn't exspecting that one. Oh well

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
That sucks :( Sorry, I didn't think about the possibility that you were manually managing your media rather than syncing it onto the phone. Syncing it in that case will remove what has been manually added. It's ok to do it that way, but you should always have the music stored on a hard drive. You can get an external hard drive with a large capacity for storing media for well under $100. Otherwise, it's just a matter of time before it's lost.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
I didn't think about manual managent of music either since I don't use that method myself.

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
I had already posted a warning about Rick's method for music. Rick if you are never going to purchase music from iTunes then turn music sync off but if you will purchase music and you don't want it on your PC then do what Europa said and get an external hard drive.

I have a 500 gig drive and I have about 400 movies on it. My PC has a 640 gig HD and I could never fill it with music.

RickL

Bronze
Aug 24, 2009
Yeah I'll be keeping the music on my computer from now on lol not worth the headache. I got the video to my phone though! Lol

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
You still need to back up the iTunes folder to a thumb drive or portable hard drive because if your PC crashes and you replace it, iTunes will not remember any music or videos you have purchased and if you re-download you will re-purchase. They do remember all the applications but not the media. Go figure!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
If you computer doesn't have much storage capacity, just go with an external HD. You can get 1 TB for $100 and if you look around, you could probably find a 250 GB for $50.

RickL

Bronze
Aug 24, 2009
Yeah that's something to think about. I'll look into the hard drives.