Silver
Jun 27, 2007

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
Just saw this posted at TUAW:
http://www.tuaw.com/2007/11/27/a-half-dozen-fun-undocumented-iphone-preferences/

All of them are pretty useless, but still fun. I especially like the ability to change the carrier logo text on the fly (this is particularly useful for us photoshop impaired people). Erica was even nice enough to turn it into an App!
Thank you for sharing this article with us. I just installed the "Make it mine" app from Erica's site and changed my ATT to something more personal.

siantslil23

Bronze
Aug 29, 2007
COOL! i like the one about numerical signals... thanks

n0m0n

Nov 25, 2007
Just saw this posted at TUAW:
http://www.tuaw.com/2007/11/27/a-half-dozen-fun-undocumented-iphone-preferences/

All of them are pretty useless, but still fun. I especially like the ability to change the carrier logo text on the fly (this is particularly useful for us photoshop impaired people). Erica was even nice enough to turn it into an App!
They did not work for me?
I tried to change the carrier logo, (copied the file over, (chooserViews.plist)) but when I went into customize there were no new icons or carriers names.
What could I be doing wrong?
I just downloaded chooserViews, opened it, migrated it over into the folder as described.
But as I said when I went into Customizer there was nothing in the carrier section other then the word AT&T.

Also not sure how to use Make It Mine?
There are not directions from what I can see.\It says you don't need a command line but when I open the file there is no ReadMe.
What I did in a attempt to try something (not always the best option) but I created a folder in Applications via iBrickr and copied all the files over into it.
I now have a icon on my home page called MiM but when I tap it it only opens a white blank screen.
Was the somewhat close?

Can anyone help on the 2 options?

Thanks
JW

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
They did not work for me?
I tried to change the carrier logo, (copied the file over, (chooserViews.plist)) but when I went into customize there were no new icons or carriers names.
What could I be doing wrong?
I just downloaded chooserViews, opened it, migrated it over into the folder as described.
But as I said when I went into Customizer there was nothing in the carrier section other then the word AT&T.

Also not sure how to use Make It Mine?
There are not directions from what I can see.\It says you don't need a command line but when I open the file there is no ReadMe.
What I did in a attempt to try something (not always the best option) but I created a folder in Applications via iBrickr and copied all the files over into it.
I now have a icon on my home page called MiM but when I tap it it only opens a white blank screen.
Was the somewhat close?

Can anyone help on the 2 options?

Thanks
JW
The steps you took with Make it Mine are close. You need to download the file to your computer, open the zip and you should get a folder named MIM.app.
You need to copy that folder onto your phone under the Applications folder. Then I use Terminal on the phone itself, I navigate to the new directory and once inside the directory I type "chmod +x *". This changes the permissions on the files within the folder so you can launch them on the phone. Then exit the terminal program and restart the phone (not sure that is needed but anytime I manually install something I restart just to make sure I didn't break anything). You will then see the MIM icon and when you launch it a popup will show that allows you to change the wording on your carrier logo.

I read somewhere that you can set the permissions on the phone using the mobile finder but I don't know the steps to do that so I use the command line method.

n0m0n

Nov 25, 2007
The steps you took with Make it Mine are close. You need to download the file to your computer, open the zip and you should get a folder named MIM.app.
You need to copy that folder onto your phone under the Applications folder. Then I use Terminal on the phone itself, I navigate to the new directory and once inside the directory I type "chmod +x *". This changes the permissions on the files within the folder so you can launch them on the phone. Then exit the terminal program and restart the phone (not sure that is needed but anytime I manually install something I restart just to make sure I didn't break anything). You will then see the MIM icon and when you launch it a popup will show that allows you to change the wording on your carrier logo.

I read somewhere that you can set the permissions on the phone using the mobile finder but I don't know the steps to do that so I use the command line method.
Just installed the terminal app that is in Installer but cant seem to figure out how to navigate my way around.
Is this done only with terminal?
Can you help me to understand?
I also have winSCP, or iBrickr if they might be better or easier.

K i went into the iPhone via winSCP and worked my way to Applications MIM folder.
I thank typed the command in the terminal app that tis built-in.
I now can get the window up where you enter the name in but it does not change the name.
It still says the carrier it always did.

Also I tried this command with SMSD which also just opens up a blank white page.
The command did not work there.
Is there another command for that app?

Thank you so much for the help.

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
Just installed the terminal app that is in Installer but cant seem to figure out how to navigate my way around.
Is this done only with terminal?
Can you help me to understand?
I also have winSCP, or iBrickr if they might be better or easier.

K i went into the iPhone via winSCP and worked my way to Applications MIM folder.
I thank typed the command in the terminal app that tis built-in.
I now can get the window up where you enter the name in but it does not change the name.
It still says the carrier it always did.

Also I tried this command with SMSD which also just opens up a blank white page.
The command did not work there.
Is there another command for that app?

Thank you so much for the help.
Since you already have WinSCP, here's what you do.

1. Download the MakeItMine App from Erica's site:
http://ericasadun.com/ftp/PumpkinUtilities/MakeItMine-0.01.zip

2. Unzip it. You should have a folder called MIM.app

3. Using WinSCP, copy the entire MIM.app folder into the /Applications directory.

4. Once uploaded, navigate inside the MIM.app folder using WinSCP. Right click on the file "makeitmine" and choose "properties". In the Octal field, enter 0755.

5. Restart the iPhone. After that, you'll see a MakeItMine icon.

EDIT: Looks like the Make It Mine App is now listed on Installer, so no need to install manually. Seems to only be compatible for 1.1.2 and 1.1.1 phones only.

n0m0n

Nov 25, 2007
Since you already have WinSCP, here's what you do.

1. Download the MakeItMine App from Erica's site:
http://ericasadun.com/ftp/PumpkinUtilities/MakeItMine-0.01.zip

2. Unzip it. You should have a folder called MIM.app

3. Using WinSCP, copy the entire MIM.app folder into the /Applications directory.

4. Once uploaded, navigate inside the MIM.app folder using WinSCP. Right click on the file "makeitmine" and choose "properties". In the Octal field, enter 0755.

5. Restart the iPhone. After that, you'll see a MakeItMine icon.

EDIT: Looks like the Make It Mine App is now listed on Installer, so no need to install manually. Seems to only be compatible for 1.1.2 and 1.1.1 phones only.
Thank you for your support, I have done all of that but when I enter in the name I want and choose set it does not change anything.
The phone resets it self but the name of the carrier is not changed.

Anything I could be missing?
Thanks

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
Thank you for your support, I have done all of that but when I enter in the name I want and choose set it does not change anything.
The phone resets it self but the name of the carrier is not changed.

Anything I could be missing?
Thanks
What firmware are you on?

n0m0n

Nov 25, 2007
Unfortunately, MakeItMine is not compatible with 1.0.2 firmware.
:(

Ok thanks, I just cant brign myself to upgrade the version just yet.
I have a working phone and I have read about people who upgraded and turned there phones into a iBrick.

I know that my phone was unlocked via anySim...
I was told that its the best way to unlock a phone but complicated.

Thanks

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
:(

Ok thanks, I just cant brign myself to upgrade the version just yet.
I have a working phone and I have read about people who upgraded and turned there phones into a iBrick.

I know that my phone was unlocked via anySim...
I was told that its the best way to unlock a phone but complicated.

Thanks
I'm not too familiar with unlocking, but I assume you would have revirginize your phone first, before upgrading to 1.1.1 (and apparently the instructions are different if you decide to unlock 1.1.2). I've seen several guides, so just search around should you decide to upgrade and jailbreak/unlock.

Nov 28, 2007
Some help here would be appreciated:

I'd like to implement no. 5 and 6: "Numeric signal strength values."

I've installed Erika's utilities and I can see Plutil in var/root/bin with WinSCP. What isn't clear to me is where are the command lines entered?

I'm assuming the commands are entered using WinSCP, and if this is the case there only appears to be two options using WinSCP:

1] If you right click Plutil (or "bin", or "com.apple.springboard.plist" etc.) in WinSCP you will see a drop down menu with one choice "Custom Commands" with a sub menu choice "Enter" which brings up a window with a field where a command can be entered, and several boxes that can be checked (remote command, local command, etc.).

or

2] Select "Terminal" (Ctrl + T) and enter the command lines there. But if this is where the command lines should be entered, what is the correct path? Would it be "/var/root/bin," or "/var/root/bin/plutil," or "/var/root/Library/Preferences/com.apple.springboard.plist/"?

if someone could point me in the right direction with any helpful info, I sure would appreciate it. I hesitate to mess around with these commands in ignorance... afraid I might hose my phone!