A handful of 3GS problems :(

callisto9

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
IOWA
General:

1) High-pitched whine noise after sending text message. Lasted about 20 seconds.
2) Screen is not flush on one side and has some give to it when pressing down.
3) Certain sounds sound like they are too loud for the speaker and distort.

6/27/09:
* Backlighting wouldn't come on for a few seconds after waking up by pressing the home button. Had to shut off/on to get it to go away.
* Every time I took my phone out of my purse and pressed the home button to wake up the phone, phone wouldn't wake up. After about three tries, it woke up, but the iPod was playing (I hadn't used the iPod)
* When text message sound happens, it sounds like it is too loud for the speaker and sounds distorted. Thing this might be related to the whine noise. Not sure.

Anyone else having these problems? I've been kinda disappointed in the 3GS. :mad:

dwella

Apr 5, 2009
I would take it to the Apple store for a checkup. Mine does none of that.

d

itsabouttime

Silver
Feb 18, 2007
San Antonio, Tx.
General:

1) High-pitched whine noise after sending text message. Lasted about 20 seconds.
2) Screen is not flush on one side and has some give to it when pressing down.
3) Certain sounds sound like they are too loud for the speaker and distort.

6/27/09:
* Backlighting wouldn't come on for a few seconds after waking up by pressing the home button. Had to shut off/on to get it to go away.
* Every time I took my phone out of my purse and pressed the home button to wake up the phone, phone wouldn't wake up. After about three tries, it woke up, but the iPod was playing (I hadn't used the iPod)
* When text message sound happens, it sounds like it is too loud for the speaker and sounds distorted. Thing this might be related to the whine noise. Not sure.

Anyone else having these problems? I've been kinda disappointed in the 3GS. :mad:
In reading some other posts, seems others are having some similar problems. I would expect we could see a firmware update from Apple pretty soon to address these issues, just my guess though.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I have both the sound distortion issue and the brightness issue. If I have the ringer volume all the way up, my ringtone and the incoming text sound both sound distorted - the only fix for this is turning it down about halfway. As for the brightness, I can only fix that be adjusting the brightness in Settings. It seems these are both bugs - hopefully they'll be fixed in the next update.

callisto9

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
IOWA
I would take it to the Apple store for a checkup. Mine does none of that.

d
We don't have an Apple store here.

In reading some other posts, seems others are having some similar problems. I would expect we could see a firmware update from Apple pretty soon to address these issues, just my guess though.
That's what I'm hoping for!

callisto9

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
IOWA
But what about the uneven (not flush) screen issue?
That I can live with if everything else gets fixed with a firmware update. However, I wonder if the whine noise is a hardware thing.

Just frustrating that a $400 phone should have all these little bugs. :(

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
About the issue with the screen...
Things that are loose become more loose over time. I'd get that taken care of before all else. You don't want to call Apple down the road and have them say it is due to your negligence and abuse.

And if you tell them later it was loose when you got it, they may say you should have reported it first, there is nothing they can do.

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
I would call Apple and arrange for an exchange through the mail. Those are too many issues for the price you paid. Apple is so good about replacing problematic phones, why live with those issues? My phone does none of things and no screen problems either.

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
I would call Apple and arrange for an exchange through the mail. Those are too many issues for the price you paid. Apple is so good about replacing problematic phones, why live with those issues? My phone does none of things and no screen problems either.
If you do this, just pray that some thief from either DHL or Apple doesn't take your phone out of the box during transit. Happened to me. Apple claimed the package with the faulty phone I returned to them showed up with no iPhone. They tried to charge me $500. My word against theirs. Fortunately they decided to give my money back. What a hassle though.

Eninety2

Silver
Jul 22, 2008
Check if tour home button settings are set to launch iPod upon double clicking it. The lag when waking up is just like a computer coming back after the screen saver has been on for a while , I do the same thing and thr iPod is on.

callisto9

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
IOWA
Check if tour home button settings are set to launch iPod upon double clicking it. The lag when waking up is just like a computer coming back after the screen saver has been on for a while , I do the same thing and thr iPod is on.
I did, and it's not. Thanks for the tip though.

Side note: I LOVE your avatar. I can't stop staring at it!

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
Is there a screen protector on the glass? Might be causeing some of these issues

joeg679

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
I think the weird sound you are hearing when you get texts has to do with the 3.0 software. Both me and 2 friends have the same problem, but only 2 of us have 3gs's.

callisto9

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
IOWA
I hope Apple comes out with a firmware update soon. :mad: