A Job!

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
Okay, so I wasn't going to post a thread, but I'm so excited, I have to share it.

As many people know, education is facing a crisis in this country and many teachers have been laid off--300,000 total. NY is slowly imploding and I was one of the laid off teachers. I was an elementary teacher.

My district happened to open special education positions and I have that certification as well.

Anyway, to make a long story short...I interviewed yesterday and I was notified today that I got the position. I'm so excited. I can keep my house! :)

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Very nice FlwPwr. I'm very happy for you. What wonderful news, and it must be such a relief!

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
Congratulations! What a tremendous relief. I hope your new position is fabulous. I think when you were interviewing you mentioned it being in the same district where you had been previously employed.. does that mean you get to retain your original date of hire?

Sassytallsista

Contributor
Bronze
May 22, 2010
Texas
Great news! Congrats!

Sent from my iPad using iCafe app

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
Congratulations! What a tremendous relief. I hope your new position is fabulous. I think when you were interviewing you mentioned it being in the same district where you had been previously employed.. does that mean you get to retain your original date of hire?
I'm all out of Thanks for today so THANKS to everyone else!

Kisstine: yes, it's in my current district and I think I keep my original date of hire because I didn't resign from my previous position. I was let go so this should just be added to my seniority. It's a good question to ask and I'm planning to go into HR soon so I'll ask them about it. Being special ed though, it's more unlikely to get laid off because thats legal and they need the teachers to match the numbers. You know what I mean. Either way, it secures a paycheck for another year. I never thought I'd be going through this as a teacher.

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
Congratulations, I have enjoyed your posts and you seem like a wonderful person. It is good to hear you will now be able to keep your home. :eek:k:eek:k

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
Congratulations, I have enjoyed your posts and you seem like a wonderful person. It is good to hear you will now be able to keep your home. :eek:k:eek:k
Thank you very much. You just made my smile that much wider. :laugh2:

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
Wonderful news! Glad you got it. I know it must be so stressful to get laid off.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Awesome, Karen. Very glad you get to keep your house. That had to be stressful. I can't imagine.

ITS ME DAVID

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 8, 2010
L.A C.A
Nice I'm in la been out of work 2 yrs but then again I haven't looked.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
I’ll add my congratulations too. It amazes me as well that they let teachers go when I see trailers being added to schools that were built just a few years ago. I know someone who was a Spec Ed teacher and she said it was the most rewarding job she ever had. Good luck.

diverdown

Contributor
Silver
Sep 12, 2007
NYC
Awesome news..... Congrats!

~S

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Apple4me

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Congrats! I recently landed a good job after being unemployed for a year and I know how good it feels to be gainfully employed. Good luck to you in your new position :)