A little bit of help, please.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

viperboy

Sep 11, 2007
hello. i am looking to get the iPhone soon, but i have a few questions that i cant find the answers to. any help is appreciated.

1.) if i don't activate the phone with the SIM it came with, is it pretty much useless? i know there are 3rd party programs out there that activate it for you without going through att and iTunes, but what things wont work by doing it that way?

that being said...

2.) will the iPhone work on att pay as you go service? i'm pretty sure it will (with a hack over on hacktheiPhone.com) but i just want to confirm.

it was either this or the touch but i cant figure out which i want. i just need this info before i can really make up my mind. thanks in advance.

jerrettpaul

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Denton, TX
hello. i am looking to get the iPhone soon, but i have a few questions that i cant find the answers to. any help is appreciated.

1.) if i don't activate the phone with the SIM it came with, is it pretty much useless? i know there are 3rd party programs out there that activate it for you without going through att and iTunes, but what things wont work by doing it that way?

that being said...

2.) will the iPhone work on att pay as you go service? i'm pretty sure it will (with a hack over on hacktheiPhone.com) but i just want to confirm.

it was either this or the touch but i cant figure out which i want. i just need this info before i can really make up my mind. thanks in advance.

this may not be much help but I'll try anyways. I believe that there are third party systems that you can use to activate the phone with other services, or with pay as you go service, but let me give you my opinion on third party systems.

the phone is 400 dollars. its not the 600 but thats still a lot of money. third party systems and hacks can be dangerous. there hasn't been any confirmed intstances where someone has ended up with a brick, but it CAN happen, and then you just wasted 400 dollars. because they're hacks you just can never be fully sure of how reliable they are. also, if youve been hacking your phone its pretty much certain that your warranty will be void, because Apple doesn't condone third party apps. i ended up with a brick ipod a couple of years ago with an ishare application i put on my computer and it was devastating.

you can take the chance i guess, if you really want the phone i say go for it. but you just really have to be careful.

hope this helps!

viperboy

Sep 11, 2007
this may not be much help but I'll try anyways. I believe that there are third party systems that you can use to activate the phone with other services, or with pay as you go service, but let me give you my opinion on third party systems.

the phone is 400 dollars. its not the 600 but thats still a lot of money. third party systems and hacks can be dangerous. there hasn't been any confirmed intstances where someone has ended up with a brick, but it CAN happen, and then you just wasted 400 dollars. because they're hacks you just can never be fully sure of how reliable they are. also, if youve been hacking your phone its pretty much certain that your warranty will be void, because Apple doesn't condone third party apps. i ended up with a brick ipod a couple of years ago with an ishare application i put on my computer and it was devastating.

you can take the chance i guess, if you really want the phone i say go for it. but you just really have to be careful.

hope this helps!
i know where you're coming from and i understand the risks, but i just want to know if it can be done. i know you can use a prepaid SIM in the iPhone, so now my question really is... will you need to use the 3rd party activation methods with a prepaid SIM? if so, will everything work? (i heard youtube doesn't, but that there is a fix)

i wouldn't really use the slow EDGE anyway. i just like the iPhone and it was either that or the new touch when it comes out and i'd rather have the iPhone. i have my sprint razr2 v9m for my internet anyway :laugh2: