A Mac app that closes all your applications and shuts down the Mac?

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
Does anyone know of such an app?...i found a couple of widgets that shut down the mac with one click, but i would also like to be able to close all open applications and shut down with one click as well...especially with lion since it remembers what was open and restores those apps after a restart.
Thanks for the help folks.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Is there an AppleScript or something along those lines?

Babyt

Zealot
Gold
May 24, 2010
If you don't find an app you can just force quit everything at once :)

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
If you don't find an app you can just force quit everything at once :)
Thnx t, thats a little better then closing each app separately...its such a simple little request...howabout it developers, we have enough angry birds and Evernotes.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Code:
killall dock
In Terminal type (above) and hit enter. Then use a widget to shut off the machine. Terminal is awesome if you know how to use it.

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
Code:
killall dock
In Terminal type (above) and hit enter. Then use a widget to shut off the machine. Terminal is awesome if you know how to use it.
That's a lot of effort though to close all applications; it would probably be quicker, and certainly easier, to Cmd-Q each application.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
That's a lot of effort though to close all applications; it would probably be quicker, and certainly easier, to Cmd-Q each application.
Cmd-Space Bar (Spotlight launches)
Type "Term"
Tap "Enter"

(depending on how you have Terminal setup you maybe required to prefix "killall" with sudo)

Type "killall dock"
Turn your machine off via widget or whatever...

It's most certainly quicker than Cmd-Q'ing everything. I can do all of the above in seconds.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i don't understand... what's wrong with unchecking the box?

I get that it's an extra click (or spacebar), and that's a HUGE pain in the ass, but I fail to see how installing an app or invoking the terminal would simplify it. That being said, it hasn't stopped someone from making an Applescript:

Last edited by a moderator:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah

I get that it's an extra click (or spacebar), and that's a HUGE pain in the ass, but I fail to see how installing an app or invoking the terminal would simplify it. That being said, it hasn't stopped someone from making an Applescript:
The simplest solution is the best solution.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008

I get that it's an extra click (or spacebar), and that's a HUGE pain in the ass, but I fail to see how installing an app or invoking the terminal would simplify it. That being said, it hasn't stopped someone from making an Applescript
I don't have Lion installed on any of my Mac's yet, I wasn't aware of this feature.

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
Cmd-Space Bar (Spotlight launches)
Type "Term"
Tap "Enter"

(depending on how you have Terminal setup you maybe required to prefix "killall" with sudo)

Type "killall dock"
Turn your machine off via widget or whatever...

It's most certainly quicker than Cmd-Q'ing everything. I can do all of the above in seconds.
But that's about 18 keystrokes, where as if you were to press cmd-tab and keep cmd held, you could just keep tapping Q to quit all apps.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
But that's about 18 keystrokes, where as if you were to press cmd-tab and keep cmd held, you could just keep tapping Q to quit all apps.
We could argue about this until we're both blue in the face. You like your method, which is fine and I like my method. I'll only use it if I want to quit everything quickly and depending on how many apps you actually have open you could be Cmd-Q'ing for quite some time.

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.

I get that it's an extra click (or spacebar), and that's a HUGE pain in the ass, but I fail to see how installing an app or invoking the terminal would simplify it. That being said, it hasn't stopped someone from making an AppleScript
I wasn't aware of that either, best solution so far, thanks hippo...
...gotta love this forum.
(still wouldn't mind a one click app on the desktop though,
..man I've gotten lazy).

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
We could argue about this until we're both blue in the face. You like your method, which is fine and I like my method. I'll only use it if I want to quit everything quickly and depending on how many apps you actually have open you could be Cmd-Q'ing for quite some time.
That's a good point; as you said, we each have our own methods and I will never have more than five or six applications open at the same time, which is probably why your method just seems cumbersome and inconvenient.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
That's a good point; as you said, we each have our own methods and I will never have more than five or six applications open at the same time, which is probably why your method just seems cumbersome and inconvenient.
Cumbersome and Inconvenient? In your opinion. The amount of apps open on anyone's computer is irrelevant, whether it be 6 or 30. Pressing Cmd-Q over and over again is repetitive and tedious, in my opinion.

With your Cmd-Q method, which is effective - you can combine this method with pressing the Tab button to open up the task switcher and quit apps that way.

aknightstale41, there is one click option. You need to play around with scripts, I should have mentioned this earlier. The script will run from the dock, it's a one-click method which closes/quits all apps.