A major complaint with Apple

eagleexp

Aug 28, 2008
OK, A couple of complaints. We ordered 17 of these 3g's. Corporate account mandatory and our sales person was just that. He knwe very little about the phones and the process. The porting claim was a crock. We politely insisted that he activate the first two while he was still trying to convince us to stay with AT&T. Yeh.... after ten minutes he was a little frustrated at the activation process for their "preported" phones. By the way, he assured us that this was quick and easy. He's sending someone to the office to assist with the remaining phones.

Now for my problem with Apple. WHY do thay force us to do a complete iTunes account activation (with credit card) to activate the phone. ***Remember the antitrust lawsuit against Microsoft?**** NOt the same but that's what I feel like. I don't and will never buy a song from iTunes.

The worst part is that we are testing these for use by our sales staff. Each phone will require it's own iTunes account. This is sooo stupid for a corp account. (Our corporate sales rep didn't know this.)

Extremely aggrivating. I may suggest that we provide our sales people with the HTC. (can I say that here?) It's not perfect either but at least they didn't force me into anything.

Thanks for reading and if you have had the same aggrivation and found a solution, please share. Have a great one.

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
HTC has made some great phones, but Microsoft never did anything to improve WindowsMobile. The reason I went with the iPhone (Safari)

As for the coporate thing, I can see many more issues to come. Security Update, Software Update, Software Installation, Coporate Contact List and many more that the Company wants to update on individual phones.

They need something like a CorporateME (Similar to MobileMe) that syncs all information with a Corporate Server intead of iTunes.

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.
You've discovered what many of us have known for a while--the iPhone is not quite ready for full enterprise use (at least not at the moment). Apple just hasn't "gotten it" yet. They will, given time.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
the iPhone is really an entertainment device. Not even close with businesss demands. For your employer to NOT have done his research beforehand leaves me feeling exasperated after hearing your hollow complaints.
Sorry no sympathy here. This is only the beginning of problems you'll have with using these phones against their targeted design features. Simply said, the phone is designed for playing music, watching videos, and blabbering like a hen on the ***** box.

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
the iPhone is really an entertainment device. Not even close with businesss demands. For your employer to NOT have done his research beforehand leaves me feeling exasperated after hearing your hollow complaints.
Sorry no sympathy here. This is only the beginning of problems you'll have with using these phones against their targeted design features. Simply said, the phone is designed for playing music, watching videos, and blabbering like a hen on the ***** box.
LOL your avatar is hilarious. So old school.

eagleexp

Aug 28, 2008
Wuddau mean "No Sympathy?"
Now you've hurt my feelings and I'm not gonna come out and play. :p

Kidding. We thought that we'd done the research. This "NEW" iPhone was supposedly developed for businessses. Our primary need is email access vis MS, exchange 03, which it has and a CRM interface, which it doesn't yet have but there may be one in the works (MS Dynamic CRM 4.0). It looks like we'll be able to get the few applications that we need. My aggrivation was with the registration process and the mis information provided by the sales person.

Now that you're all done laughing, Yes, I expected the sales rep to know his stuff.

Oh well.

I played with the phone a little more and it seems pretty cool so hopefully, we can get through these minor issues.

dwp1975

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Rockville, MD
Aside from the mandatory iTunes crap for activation, the iPhone fairs pretty well as a businesss device. I use mine as my work phone and it served me well using Exchange support. It was much more reliable on teh version 1 then it is on the 3g version, but I imagine with the updates that are freeflowing from Apple it will get better. I've convinced my developers to get them and they love them. I almost have the sales team to get them as well so that they can use salesforce mobile and use the Safari browser to show potential customers a demo of our web-based product. It is by no means a blackberry just yet but it is inching closer after each update. Once they find a way for corporate users to not need the iTunes requirement it will be a lot easier to migrate them to the iPhone.