A multitude of questions and problems?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Ellipsys

Oct 6, 2007
Hello all. I've been the proud owner of an iPhone since launch. While I love the UI and the parts that work, work well... there are many things that I think are far too limited. I was wondering if anyone knew the answers to some of these problems.

For reference my iPhone is a 7-series screen, 1.0.2 FW and I have PCs with Vista Ultimate x64, and Kubuntu (linux) 7.04.

1. iTunes will run fine, but not support my iPhone under x64. I am /not/ going to reinstall a 32 bit OS and give up my 4gb of RAM, just to copy files from iTunes. As far as I know, there's no way around this to make iTunes work?

2. The biggest thing I want is to use other software, or none at all, to manage my iPhone. Are there any programs that will allow me to add music manually (copy paste style? Maybe one of the file browsers?) or sync with another media player like Winamp? Has that been broken yet some how?

3. The ability to sync or add other stuff without iTunes. Copy and paste pictures etc, and sync my contacts with something other than Outlook. Ho about Thunderbird? I'd settle for having to do this manually through a copy and paste now and then if I could.

4. Get Linux to even recognize it as something besides a digital camera. The damn thing won't even CHARGE without iTunesService or whatever the hell it is on Windows.... so linux use of any sort is limited to pulling pictures off it

5. I tried to install Installer.app recently, but it just hung up on install.. is this a 64-bit problem too?

Thanks in advance everyone. I'm tired of being limited with the hardware I've purchased.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
1. iTunes will run fine, but not support my iPhone under x64. I am /not/ going to reinstall a 32 bit OS and give up my 4gb of RAM, just to copy files from iTunes. As far as I know, there's no way around this to make iTunes work?
You may want to search the iPhone & Windows forum for more answers on this, there should already be some threads going. From second hand experience, a friend of mine can sync and manage his iPhone just fine from x64 but is having a real hard time getting video to the iPhone which doesn't cause the player to quit. Larger files are corrupting or something for him during transfer and they just crash the video player once it hits a certain point.

Also, you don't have to give up a x64 environment, just make an 8 gig partition for a dual boot x32 OS like XP and use your main x64 partition as it's iTunes media storage.

2. The biggest thing I want is to use other software, or none at all, to manage my iPhone. Are there any programs that will allow me to add music manually (copy paste style? Maybe one of the file browsers?) or sync with another media player like Winamp? Has that been broken yet some how?
Do a web search on Tansee, I know they have some iPod solutions for this, I'm sure they've jumped on the iPhone bandwagon by now.

3. The ability to sync or add other stuff without iTunes. Copy and paste pictures etc, and sync my contacts with something other than Outlook. Ho about Thunderbird? I'd settle for having to do this manually through a copy and paste now and then if I could.
Export from Thunderbird and import it to Outlook. iTunes can import from Outlook just fine, in most cases at least.

Unless you are on an OS which isn't supported by iTunes I don't see the problem in using it just for syncing data like music, videos and photos. You don't need to connect to the iTunes store, its not mandated, and its entirely possible to sync your own content without any problems provided they are in the correct file formats. I absolutely hated the idea of iTunes, and still do, but I use it without bias because its always going to be the best at what it does unfortunately, and thats interface with my iPhone.

4. Get Linux to even recognize it as something besides a digital camera. The damn thing won't even CHARGE without iTunesService or whatever the hell it is on Windows.... so linux use of any sort is limited to pulling pictures off it
I'm not sure what the latest and greatest Windows emulation programs are on Linux anymore, but back when I was on Gentoo I was fond of WineEX. I was able to run quite a lot under that, including getting PC print drivers to work. That said, have you tried a solution like this for iTunes under linux?

5. I tried to install Installer.app recently, but it just hung up on install.. is this a 64-bit problem too?
I'm not sure whats up with that actually, you should check out Wildonrio's thread on Jailbreaking your iPhone.

Welcome to EIP!

Last edited by a moderator: