A Newbie's first attempt at upgrading!

Jan 16, 2008
Hi guys,

I am currently at the following settings:

My phone jailbroken and unlocked to any network, this was done by someone else, not me dammit!

I want to upgrade to firmware version 1.1.2.

I am following the guide from i.unlock.no and I wanted to check that what I am about to do looks right!

Here goes...

I need to virginise my phone to repair the baseband. I do this by adding the i.unlock.no source, download and run 'The Virginizer'.

I then download the 1.1.1 firmware. Put the phone into restore mode and restore using the firmware I have just downloaded (pressing ctrl+restore).

I then follow the activation and unlocking instructions as described here:
http://iPhone.unlock.no/#Bypass-Activation-and-Jailbreak

Take a breather!

After that I follow the instructions for 1.1.2...

Given the details of the firmware and modem versions I have in the screenshot, will this damage my phone!?!

Many thanks guys.

Wish me luck!

Jan 16, 2008
That is what I wanted to hear!

Wish me luck everyone!

I will let you know of the results...

Jan 16, 2008
This is a big thank you to everyone who has posted advice for any newbie wanting to upgrade their iPhone successfuly!

I am now running a jailbroken and unlocked 1.1.2 iPhone. I don't know when i'll make the jump to 1.1.3.. what is the current feeling about that?

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
i wouldn't do it.

if you are at 1.1.2, there is really no point to upgrading - unless you REALLY want the wiggly icons.

hope this helps.

Jan 16, 2008
i wouldn't do it.

if you are at 1.1.2, there is really no point to upgrading - unless you REALLY want the wiggly icons.

hope this helps.
Not particularly, I use SummerBoard for the arrangement of the icons anyway and i use navizon for the locate me feature...

Thanks again mate.

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
Not particularly, I use SummerBoard for the arrangement of the icons anyway and i use navizon for the locate me feature...

Thanks again mate.
I feel like I'm the only person the LocateMe feature works for.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
What is navizon? I haven't read anything about that yet.
It was the first iPhone native 'Sorta Like GPS' app. It's latest version lets you toggle On or Off its 'Moving Mode' - if it's on, it updates your position every 10 seconds automatically without you doing anything (although I've found not always so accurately) and also has a kinda cool little toolbar that sits on top of Google Maps, and also lets you track 'buddy' locations. See HERE for more details and demo video etc.