A noobs plea for help and clarification

syress

Jul 25, 2008
Hello fellow iPhone users, I have finally been given my iPhone 3g from optus yesterday.

I have learned how to make the custom ring tons and upload my movies,
But one problem i cant seem to understand is how to get my pictures in the background of the desktop screen (the screen with the buttons).

If someone could answer my 2 questions simply that would be a grate help

1.How and what do i need to do/ install for me to use custom background images in the desktop.

2.How can i upload games to my iPhone 3g, What do i need to download/install

I have been to certain sites such as

http://www.iphonehacks.com/jailbreak_iPhone/
witch teaches me how to jailbrake my phone and so on

and here a program called summerboard i found
http://www.appleiphoneschool.com/summerboard/

But i don't know where to start off or what to do every guide seems to be telling me something new and different.

hiya1987

Jul 20, 2008
Manchester, England
the only way to customize the home screen would be to jail break your iPhone but i don't think there is one out yet for the 3g, it also void your warranty with Apple so its not really worth doing just from that alone. as for games as you would either a wait for a jailbreak or buy them off iTunes. hope it helps

syress

Jul 25, 2008
i didn't know jailbreak voids the warranty thank you for telling me.

I guess i will just buy the games then

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
You can jailbreak an iPhone and not lose your warranty...but all you have to do is reset the software and Apple would not know the difference. So it doesn't void the warranty per-se because you can make evidence of that disappear....UNLOCKING your iPhone however is unreversable, and it the major issue of voiding your warranty.

Am I wrong in this assumption? B/c my 2 friends with v1 iPhones ailbroke their phones....when one of the had several issues with his, he just reset his software, and then took it in for a replacement. No questions asked. He did that about 5 times I think.

syress

Jul 25, 2008
oh i don't need to unlock the phone im on contract with optus
i just want the ability to download games and play with the iPhone :D

But like you said if they don't know i am not voiding my warranty :D
Thanks you saved me some money ahah

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
You can jailbreak an iPhone and not lose your warranty...but all you have to do is reset the software and Apple would not know the difference. So it doesn't void the warranty per-se because you can make evidence of that disappear....UNLOCKING your iPhone however is unreversable, and it the major issue of voiding your warranty.

Am I wrong in this assumption? B/c my 2 friends with v1 iPhones ailbroke their phones....when one of the had several issues with his, he just reset his software, and then took it in for a replacement. No questions asked. He did that about 5 times I think.
I don't think unlocking is irreversible but it requires more than just a few button clicks on a desktop app to do it. If someone at Apple were to look around at the software inside a previously jailbroken phone, I'm sure they could tell it was done but on the surface, you can't, which is why resetting the software before taking it in will work. The people at the Apple store don't delve into the OS to see what's wrong, they just look at the UI and see if anything is wrong.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
I'd wait. The longer you wait, the more likely it will be that the JB process and Installer apps will be improved and made compatible with 2.0.

syress

Jul 25, 2008
I'd wait. The longer you wait, the more likely it will be that the JB process and Installer apps will be improved and made compatible with 2.0.

thank you very much for your help