A problem with iPhone 2.1

I updated my phone yesterday and since then, every single call has a faint buzzing sound in the background and it gets louder to the point I can't hear the person on the other line. It doesn't matter if I'm making a call or receiving one, it always happens. I haven't tried reinstalling the system, which I'm going to do when I get home, so I don't know if that is the problem. Has anyone else had this problem or one similar to it?

Thanks for reading

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
I have had that problem before, I believe some call it "GSM buzz". It's the network that's causing it, not your iPhone.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I have had that problem before, I believe some call it "GSM buzz". It's the network that's causing it, not your iPhone.
But I don't think he's refering to surrounding speakers/devices. I think he's talking about the phone itself.

To the OP, There are 2 things you can try to see if you can correct the problem.
1) go into settings, general, and reset. You can try reset network settings (or all settings). the phone should reboot and then you can test. Hopefully that will solve your problem.
2) back you phone up and restore it. Then before doing anything else, reset network settings and test.

If the problem still persists, contact Apple, make and appointment and show them what it's doing. They will probably swap out your phone.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
You are welcome! glad that solved it for you!