A question about Safari

whale_hunter

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
I have only had my phone for a day and a half. That said, I have a question. I work in an area that is known for bad reception. It's kind of down and out of the way.
Still though, Safari seems to be working great... till it boots me. I was booted probably ten times in the first hour of use. I would be scrolling ( a forum like this) and boot.
My buddy suggested that I make sure I had the most up to date software, which I did not.
I downloaded the newest iTunes and haven't had a problem yet at home. haven't really done a ton of surfing because obviously I have high speed and don't really need to use my phone.

So is this something that has happened to others? Is there a chance that the update fixed the problem or could it possibly be my phone?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sorry if this is wrong forum. I'm a newb.

dug1967

Sep 11, 2007
I assume by "boot".... you mean it would dump you back to the main screen (with the 12 app buttons).....

Well I have had my iPhone for about 6 weeks and this first started with mine about 3 weeks ago... First it was just in Safari and not often... I ignored it for a while then it sarting happening more and more often in Safari.... I looked around this forum and other internet sites and got the suggestions to "clear the Safari history and cookie" and "do a hard reset".... tried that and it didn't help....

Then over the next week or so other apps started doing the same thing... first it was Maps, then Stocks then finally iPod... and Safari did it almost constantly... I went to a Apple store and was told to "Restore" through iTunes....

That didn't help it either, I called Apple Tech support and told them what I stated above and they setup a repair ticket (with a free loaner for me) and according to an email I will have a repaired phone back tomorrow.... Hopefully it will never do it again....

My wife has had her iPhone for 10 days now and it has not "booted" once yet... I figure it is some kind of software or maybe hardware bug... I am hoping Apple gives me some kind of report on the problem and repair...

I wouyld suggest you try the steps above and you will probably end up doing what I did...

Good luck

jerrettpaul

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Denton, TX
hello hello.

First off im new the the forums so hello to all! my phone was doing the same thing. it would boot me off safari pretty consistently and it would occasionally give me the same problem with the ipod app.

it got to a point that i was beginning to get pissed. i was complaining about it to a close friend of mine (who is a mac user) and she suggested i just turned the phone off and turned it back on. at this point i had had the phone for about two weeks and hadnt turned it off at all. when i tried this it seemed to have worked. it hasn't booted me since.

i hope this helps.

whale_hunter

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
Wow

I hope I don't have to go through all those hoops to get this fixed. I'm sure you didn't either.:laugh2:

Like I said, I haven't had a problem since I updated. If it continues I will def be going the same route. I LOVE the phone, but I didn't really enjoy getting sent back to the main screen (as you described) every 3 minutes.

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
For many users, "rebooting" it from time to time, as well as keeping the history, cookies, and cache cleared regularly seems to eliminate this issue.

Try that before sending it in for repair.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Make sure that your Phone's software has also been updated to the latest revision, Not just iTunes. Currently, that's 1.0.2.
If the problem continues, try the following:
1)Hold the top "lock" button till the red slider bar appears to completely power off the phone. Then when it's completely off, power on and try again.
2) Do a restore on the phone. First, Sync your phone with iTunes. Make sure to go through all the tabs and check everything you want synced. This will also make your backup. Once your Sync is complete, click on the Restore button and follow the prompts. READ EVERYTHING CAREFULLY! It's fairly self explainitory, but still, make sure you read the prompts as you go through them.
Once the restore has completed, your phone will be back at factory specs with the latest version of iPhone software. It will then ask if you want to restore your information on the phone. Click yes to have your preferences and info put back on the phone. Your Email and WiFi passwords will have to be reset, but pretty much everything else should be as it was.
If you are having problems after that, then contact Apple, let them know you did a restore and are still having crash problems with Safari and other internet programs. It could be that the phone is working too hard to maintain the signal and that's why it's crashing, or some hardware issue.

whale_hunter

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
Make sure that your Phone's software has also been updated to the latest revision, Not just iTunes. Currently, that's 1.0.2.
If the problem continues, try the following:
1)Hold the top "lock" button till the red slider bar appears to completely power off the phone. Then when it's completely off, power on and try again.
2) Do a restore on the phone. First, Sync your phone with iTunes. Make sure to go through all the tabs and check everything you want synced. This will also make your backup. Once your Sync is complete, click on the Restore button and follow the prompts. READ EVERYTHING CAREFULLY! It's fairly self explainitory, but still, make sure you read the prompts as you go through them.
Once the restore has completed, your phone will be back at factory specs with the latest version of iPhone software. It will then ask if you want to restore your information on the phone. Click yes to have your preferences and info put back on the phone. Your Email and WiFi passwords will have to be reset, but pretty much everything else should be as it was.
If you are having problems after that, then contact Apple, let them know you did a restore and are still having crash problems with Safari and other internet programs. It could be that the phone is working too hard to maintain the signal and that's why it's crashing, or some hardware issue.
Thanks for the help.

Someone else said they turned their phone all the way off and that did the trick. So i did that last night while it charged.
I'll see how it's working today, and will try rebooting if i'm still having problems.

Last night the only time I had a crash was when I was in google maps and tried to go to a sat. view of my house.

We'll see.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Not to sound like a curmudgeon, but all of this talk about restarting and having the latest firmware and everything is just bunk. Sure if you leave your phone on for 2 weeks and constantly have 8 windows open you're going to have problems, but I have the newest firmware, I restart my iPhone daily, and my safari crashing has not gone down one single bit.

I have noticed a trend though. A lot of times it crashes when Edge is acting up. And I think it's not related to the edge signal either. Signal goes down to no bars, then the bars jump back up, but it's clear that it still isn't connected (I get "can't connect to server" messages) then when it finally does connect, it crashes.

Now this isn't the only time it crashes. It's only one small portion of the times that cause a crash. And clearing the cookies, cache and history is not really a solution now is it? Those are there for a reason. I need those!

I have learned that when the signal does drop to go to the home screen and open something else up like YouTube or Maps and use that to test the Edge connection. I've even gone so far as to turn on airplane mode and turn it off to reset the connection.

And crashing is a huge deal. You lose your back/forward button history when it does that and that is extremely important to me. One reason why I love Opera over Safari so much. Can't wait for someone to put Opera on the iPhone.

whale_hunter

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
Not to sound like a curmudgeon, but all of this talk about restarting and having the latest firmware and everything is just bunk. Sure if you leave your phone on for 2 weeks and constantly have 8 windows open you're going to have problems, but I have the newest firmware, I restart my iPhone daily, and my safari crashing has not gone down one single bit.

I have noticed a trend though. A lot of times it crashes when Edge is acting up. And I think it's not related to the edge signal either. Signal goes down to no bars, then the bars jump back up, but it's clear that it still isn't connected (I get "can't connect to server" messages) then when it finally does connect, it crashes.

Now this isn't the only time it crashes. It's only one small portion of the times that cause a crash. And clearing the cookies, cache and history is not really a solution now is it? Those are there for a reason. I need those!

I have learned that when the signal does drop to go to the home screen and open something else up like YouTube or Maps and use that to test the Edge connection. I've even gone so far as to turn on airplane mode and turn it off to reset the connection.

And crashing is a huge deal. You lose your back/forward button history when it does that and that is extremely important to me. One reason why I love Opera over Safari so much. Can't wait for someone to put Opera on the iPhone.

I'm in your shoes. People can give a bunch of solutions, but wtf? I spend $400 dollars on a cell phone and I have to spend every day trying to fix it?
Today the internet seemed to be working well. I get off work and ... nothing. It's been about an hour now. My signal looks strong, but it keeps saying "Safari cant open page because it cant find server"...

I love the design of the phone ,but it's turning into one big hassle.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
I may complain about it a lot, but at the end of the day, I am happy that i spent $600 on my iPhone.
Still want my $200 bucks back though.