A question about syncing the 3GS

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
This might sound like a dumb question, but then im not the sharpest pencil in the box...when connecting the 3gs to iTunes for the first time, do i just set it up as new and sync, or do a restore from a 3g backup to load all my apps and such? and should i delete all my 3g backups?

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
Good question. Never had to replace an iPhone. When you plug it in the first time, what type of screen comes up and what do you do?

hydro94530

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Just plug it in and sync from a back up. do this whether you have to activate it from iTunes or if it's already activated. I did this for my 3G from my v1 phone and there were no issues. don't see why it wouldn't be the same.

hydro94530

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
To your second question, back ups are just backups, they're not tied to any particular iPhone model

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
When we plug it in, will it ask us if we want to update from a back-up? It won't over-write the backup?

hydro94530

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
When we plug it in, will it ask us if we want to update from a back-up? It won't over-write the backup?
Nope it will give you the option to restore form a backup or treat it as a new phone. iTunes won't do anything unless you select to do so so there's no danger of losing anything and being unaware that you did so.

hydro94530

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
However, I will add that I am unsure what happens when you select to begin as a new phone. My guess is that it may overwrite your old backups, so if you are simply upgrading, go with a backup and make sure you sync your old phone one last time before switching to the new one.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
No it wont override your back ups. It will create a new backup if you set up as new phone. Thats the point of the new phone option, to make iTunes recognize that its not the same as the other phone you sync to it.

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
Oh...well I kind of feel like I almost want to start fresh...also if I'm going to try to restore my old iPhone to sell it, wouldn't it be best to have that one with a separate "backup profile" that way it doesn't f-up the other one?

Adam1389

Silver
Nov 20, 2008
Ilwaco, WA
All your backups will be saved regardless. I had my 3G replaced under warranty and just plugged in to iTunes, it said set up as new phone or restore from backup. I'm assuming it will be the same for the 3G S since its still and iPhone, and all the features are the same. If you want your contacts to transfer over though, you need to sync with Outlook, Yahoo, or MobileMe (something of that variety)

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
I believe the contacts are on the sim card, so when they activate it just tell them to transfer the contacts
Under settings>mail,contacts, calendars there is an options to import SIM contacts, but if you added any contacts to an iPhone directly they are not saved to the SIM and are only recoverable through a backup or if you synced them with outlook, online email service(gmail, yahoo), or mobileme.