A rattle and vibration in my iPhone 4s

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It's common and generally nothing to be concerned about. My iPhone 4 rattles when I shake it. It has done this since I got it in June 2010. I didn't have any problems with it so I didn't exchange it. It still works just fine.

FFAP1234

Bronze
Jun 12, 2010
Thank u for your response, I just upgraded from the iPhone 4, the iPhone 4 that I still have doesn't have that issue. I don't mind the rattling what really bothers me is the vibration that happens depending on the frequency of the sound. I know the speaker is fine.

Jun 25, 2010
But when I got my first iPhone 4 there was a popcorn kernel in it, like wtf they let these dudes eat pop corn on the job? That's cool but don't drop it in my phone!

FFAP1234

Bronze
Jun 12, 2010
As I said what bothers me is the vibration. I noticed it right away at the Apple store.The person who sold it to me noticed too but when we talked to another salesman he argue with me. Even when I get the sound of the email it vibrates.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
But when I got my first iPhone 4 there was a popcorn kernel in it, like wtf they let these dudes eat pop corn on the job? That's cool but don't drop it in my phone!
Kyle, your far-fetched stories are getting really old. Please don't add them into help threads. New people may not realize what you are doing.

FFAP1234

Bronze
Jun 12, 2010
I did try to return it but they wouldn't give me a brand new one as the first time. They told the only way for me to get one where I will open the case was to do the reservation on line, same as I did the first time, between 9:00 pm and midnight. Finally last night after trying every single night it went through but at the end of the process I got a note telling me that I wasn't eligible for an upgrade and I needed to go to an Apple store.
I'm very upset that I think I may return it, break my contract and use my old iPhone 4 that is not that old anyways.

Badfishy

Contributor
Bronze
May 17, 2011
Houston, Texas
When I switched from the 4 to the 4s I noticed the new rattling too. I took to the Apple store the next day and the lady acted like I was crazy. She said the 4s has a stronger vibration motor and that's why it's louder. I don't believe her.

I hate it! When I have it on silent it makes a louder vibration sound than it should. Luckily I don't have to use the silent setting vey often. I isolated the sound to somewhere in the earpiece. When I tap on the earpiece can replicate the rattle. It just amplifies when I get the vibration alerts.

I herby denounce you being crazy.

Verizon iPhone 4S using iCafe app

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
My 4S rattles too when I shake it, never on the 4 thou.
Not a big deal, the phone works fine and others that had rattling noises while shaking it never had any hardware issues so it's not really a concern for me. Don't worry about it, just don't shake it really fast, we look funny doing it anyway :)

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
Parts tolerance. My first 3GS the power button rattled. First thing I did when I got a replacement was check that and nope. No rattle. I always ask anyone I know that has an iPhone of their power button rattles. They are always mad when it does and that they now know that it does.

FFAP1234

Bronze
Jun 12, 2010
I wish I could change the title of my subject, I don't know how to do it. I can leave with the rattling, the vibration is what bothers me. I mention that I shake it and hear rattling only to explain that maybe there is something loose inside and that is what makes it vibrate.

Locutus

Bronze
Aug 22, 2010
Can you take it to another Apple store? It's ridiculous that thy won't exchange it on the spot. Your iPhone IS NOT supposed to rattle. I'd go to a different store and if they start giving you the run around, ask for a manager. If that person doesn't want to help, ask for his manager. Keep going until you find someone who isn't going to act like you're crazy because you want to exchange your defective, rattling iPhone.
If all else fails return the damn thing and get your money back. It's still under 30 days.
With all of these stories, if I do get the new iPhone I'm going to test it features in the store, in front if one if those so-called geniuses to make sure it works like it is supposed to. Especially now that it appears that Apple is no longer doing free exchanges on defective devices.
Unbelievable,

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Jun 25, 2010
Apple did use a different vibrator motor in the new iPhone, this has been confirmed by ifixit.com. I think you're worrying about nothing

FFAP1234

Bronze
Jun 12, 2010
Thank you Locutus, I feel that people are treating me as if I were crazy. I was so exiting about getting the new iPhone 4s and now I only have regrets for all these bad experiences. I do think I will return it.

FFAP1234

Bronze
Jun 12, 2010
KyleplusiTunes, I think we are talking about deferent things. My phone vibrates when I listen to music, when Siri talks, when I use the speaker to listen to whatever.