A Reminder About Thread Titles

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Please make sure that your thread titles are descriptive. Thread titles such as "Help" or "I Have a Problem" won't work here. I've been correcting a few of these lately. Please help make the forum more inviting for members. Thanks in advance!

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Is there a list somewhere of ten-dollar words that will be adjusted down to their equivalents in "Simpler English" by the mods?

Should we basically stick to Basic English/Simple English? Just want to make sure I stick to the guidelines. :)
I'm not sure where you're getting this idea that we like to "dumb down" thread titles. We just want the title to correspond with the issue at hand. It should be a pretty easy concept to grasp.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I modified his thread title earlier today. It's not that we're dumbing thread titles down. The goal is to make them as clear as possible as to the issue, commentary or content within the thread. This does a number of things:
  1. It increases traction for a thread. Users can immediately identify an interest and jump into the discussion.
  2. It improves the search feature. If thread titles correctly associate with the content, searches become more relevant.
There are probably a few more reasons, but I'm tired and aren't as sharp as I might be between the hours of 10:00 am and 11 am. That's my peak hour. Everything before and after is downhill.

Please don't take offense. It's being done for the greater good of the forums and ultimately, its users.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
Please make sure that your thread titles are descriptive. Thread titles such as "Help" or "I Have a Problem" won't work here. I've been correcting a few of these lately. Please help make the forum more inviting for members. Thanks in advance!
What about creating new threads when there are already older ones already on this subject? Shouldn't we just add to the thread?