A sad, happy, and learning experience.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.

My uncle passed away around 12 hours ago. It was really a tragedy. He's been very sick for the last month or two and he finally gave up to the pain. God remembered him, and he went to heaven. We went and burried him, and I can tell you this is definitely the hardest thing I've ever had to go through. I've never went and burried someone before, but there's a first time for everything, especially since I'm 20 now. I really loved my uncle and he loved me a lot, however, he always lived in Saudi Arabia and we saw him from year to year, sometimes every two or three years. I never thought it would be so hard to let go of someone that wasn't even that close to you, but it is extremely hard. I cried like I have never cried before. Seeing them throw close the place he's burried in and then throw the dust really is very hard to watch.

It was a hard, emotional, and non-forgettable experience and feeling. He was a great man of virtue, honor, honesty, and he was very straight forward and religious. He was a mentor to a lot of young kids, a professor in a school for over 30 years. I can tell you that even the people he worked with in Saudi Arabia are devastated as much as we are. I'm both sad and happy. I'm sad because I'll never get to see him again, although I'll pray for him and always remember him, but in the same time happy because he went to a better place and is watching us from above. I am also happy because he is no longer feeling any pain and is in a place that has no "bad" and everything good happens there.

It was also a learning experience. It taught me to treat everyone with love and respect. It taught me to always be close to family and friends, and never fight with, ignore, or decide to stop talking to someone. You never know when it could happen to someone close to you, even if you think they're far away. Please, if you guys are fighting with any of your family members or in an argument, always remember that the day they will pass away might come sooner or later, and try to be the best you can and make the best out of your living.

This may be too long and may not make sense to some, but it's coming from the bottom of my heart. I really have learned a lot from today, and I'll be doing everything in my power to bring and keep my family close to me because no one knows what could happen next.

I pray for you, uncle, and I know you're in a better place now. From your nephew, Tarek, I love you and I'll never forget you. You have taught me a lot and given me a lot of advice, and I'll try as much as I can to fulfill all that I promised you to do.

Thank you for reading this, guys, and I'm sorry for wasting your time.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Very sorry for your loss Tarek. Your post is not a waste of time at all. I think you said things very well, especially at such an emotional time.

I remember my first funeral of an intimate relative and it tore me up - I didn't have your positive, balanced take on it - so it's impressive to see what you've made of this.

You're a smart guy Tarek. Your uncle sounds like he was a great man. Again, sorry for your loss.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Thank you, Patrick. It was also hard watching my family, mother and father included, pray for him and cry for him. You never know when it could happen to one of them or to you. My uncle has a son who's attending college this year and a daughter who's graduating from it this year, and I am going to do my best to be a brother to both of them and keep my promise of doing that.

I don't want people to cry for me in my funeral, I want them to pray for me, be happy, and think about themselves, think whether they have been bad or good people and try to improve on themselves. I take the death of close ones a sign from God, a sign that I must improve and become a better person. It will not be easy, and it might as well not happen very soon, but it eventually will.

Thanks again for your reply, Patrick, and I hope it doesn't happen to any of us again.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
That's a great and admirable goal to be a brother to your cousins.

It's also great that you're taking the best lessons out of this. Life is precious and fleeting - and your approach should help you always get the best out of it.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Sorry to hear about your uncle tarek, it's a great thing to see people still feel this way, sometimes I look around and all I see is hate in families, uncle, cousins brothers and sisters, and it saddens me deeply, I just don't get it.
I love my family more than anything in the planet, I know they'll always be there for me regardless, and I know I'll always have someone to count on.
I have great memories growing up also thanks to my uncles, they taught me a lot and always treated me like one if their kids, if it was either to yell at me for something I did wrong or to tell me how proud they were of me.
don't change your ways, you're a good kid and I respect the way you look at life.
ones again sorry for your loss, your uncle will always have a special place in your heart, don't ever forget him and always remember what he taught you.

cindra

Bronze
Dec 17, 2008
North Carolina
I'm very sorry for your loss, Tarek.

There are people far older than you who have not yet learned these lessons! You are wiser than your 20 years and your assessment and advice are sound. May God bless you and your family during this rough time.

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
I went just through what you went through not to long ago and I double your age and add some.
I have no wordabilities like you (and english is not native to me).
I absolutely loved how you captured what I was feeling too!
Thank you! I say prayers for your Uncle as well.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Tarek, funerals are never an easy thing to go through. They are one of the hardest things you have to go to, but you know it's the right thing to do when paying your final respects. I've had two funerals this year, both in the same week in fact. Chin up buddy and admire your memories.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Sorry for your loss, Tarek. My heart truly goes out to you. I wish you and your family strength in this difficult time.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
Sorry to read about your loss, Tarek. You should never feel like you wasted our time with this situation. It's always good to share how you feel because it's never good to bottle up your emotions. Thank you for letting us know how you feel. It can only make you feel better and hopefully get through this a little easier.

Mommy

Zealot
Gold
Feb 19, 2011
NY
Tarek, so sorry for your loss. I will say a prayer for you & your family. You are well beyond your years in knowledge.

Sent from my iPod touch using iCafe app

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Thank you everyone for the nice thoughts and comments. AdrianCubed told me that things seem to get a little easier after the funeral, and that's true. The funeral was yesterday, we kept praying for him and remembering all the good he has done. It has definitely relieved some tension and sadness, and it made us all realize that the best thing to do for him is to pray and hope he's in a better place, not keep crying about it because I'm sure he would rather see us happy, successful, and praying for him rather than crying and mourning about it; at least that's how I see it.

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
My condolences to you, your family, & all the people who were enriched by your uncle's life. The best memorial you can create for him is to live your life as an example of what his life taught you.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app.