A shift in forum policy

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Unless I'm missing something, I don't users see much value in the app announcements. There are great app discovery tools both online and in the App Store. At the same time, I don't see developers showing a great interest in our community, outside of posting and leaving. They then proceed to rinse and repeat elsewhere. It's not great for the users of this forum, nor is that great for the forum itself.

Over the next week or so, the rules are going to shift dramatically. The constant abuse of our forum by developers has caused me to revisit our policy which permitted free promotion of their apps. We've moved posts around, put restrictions on linking – but to no avail. In fact, it's made things worse. Some would attempt to make 10 posts in the spam of 5 minutes, just so they could complete their copy & paste promotion. After much internal debate, I'm going to make a major change to the forum policy. Free app promotion will no longer be permitted.

This policy isn't taking place right away, so they are free to live by the current rules until I make the necessary changes throughout the forum. However, when the shift changes, there will no longer be free promotions of apps (barring any further change to the policy).

I'm not sure what options I'll provide, but I am thinking about offering some sort of paid option for announcements. Honestly, I haven't given that portion of the equation much thought, so would still need to flush out ideas. I should note that this move is not about trying to get developers to pay for placement. This isn't a money grab. In fact, if I end up offering some sort of paid promotion option, I doubt that most of the current posters would take advantage of it. This is about fixing a system that isn't working. It's about making these forums better for users and these posts do not benefit users. If they don't benefit you, then they don't benefit me. My job as forum admin (and founder of eiC) is to put together a great user experience and community. A good number of devs stop here, register and paste the same description they paste at other iPhone forums. Allowing that contradicts my goals for the forum.

We'll suffer in terms of quantity of posts, but my hope is that the level of quality quotient for our forums will increase. Less clutter. Less spam. Less of all the things that deter from a good, solid community.

As a member of everythingiCafe, I hope that you'll appreciate the improvements. With any drop in activity, even the low-quality content often associated with these posts, it results in less posts.

If you like these improvements, you can help out everythingiCafe by supporting us by posting more on-topic content. Post new threads. Reply to existing threads. Start discussions.

I greatly appreciate your continued support and thank you for visiting, becoming members and taking part in the community. It really means a lot.

-Chris

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I like it. It won't stop them from trying, but it's a good line to draw. A forum is a great place for people to have conversations about apps, like asking for new games to try out. It is not so great a place for developers to plaster the same app descriptions up on an ever-growing wall with no regard for decency. It's basically the same laundry list of apps you find in the App Store, except with fewer sorting options. I don't even see it generating much value for the developers.

No sense in letting them walk in, throw their app announcement anywhere they feel like, and walk right back out. Computer generated app announcements belong in the computer generated app list sites, and people-generated app recommendations belong in the people-generated forum.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
It's been a little over a week or so since this went into effect. Anyone feel as if they are missing anything? Are the forums better for you with less 'clutter' and more conversation.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
It's been a little over a week or so since this went into effect. Anyone feel as if they are missing anything? Are the forums better for you with less 'clutter' and more conversation.
I'm not missing a thing. For the first time in a long time, there are actual conversations about apps in the app forums, rather than a bunch of noise that drowns out the few real threads that ever got started. There's still the occasional shill who tries to pop into those discussions and say hey try this amazing game I "found". But those are easy to spot.

It might take a while for those forums to find their groove now that they're bereft of the sandblasting of app announcements. It's like life slowly returning to normal after a devastating tornado. A tornado of crappy app developer copy pasta.

Wow. I should just step away from the keyboard slowly and go get some outsideness.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
If you were to allow the App promotions, could you block them from the, 'What's New' tab? That way they would be a lot less intrusive.
Yes. The question remains, where's the value for readers. If we are allowing posts, but essentially blocking those posts from being read or at least acknowledged in the 'what's new' section, it's very telling. They don't add value.

Not to mention, they wreak havoc on moderators (which you of course know;)) , nor do a good portion of them follow any sort of rules. I've employed pop-ups, notices, etc. They simply don't listen. That's not to say they are all bad, but there's more than a few bad Apples spoiling the bunch.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Yes. The question remains, where's the value for readers. If we are allowing posts, but essentially blocking those posts from being read or at least acknowledged in the 'what's new' section, it's very telling. They don't add value.

Not to mention, they wreak havoc on moderators (which you of course know;)) , nor do a good portion of them follow any sort of rules. I've employed pop-ups, notices, etc. They simply don't listen. That's not to say they are all bad, but there's more than a few bad Apples spoiling the bunch.
I whole heartedly agree with you, I was just wondering if it was possible to simply block them from the What's New and keep them in another sub-forum. Obviously setting it up so the site search function would find them so that member actually looking for apps would find them etc - rather than splatting the forum with rubbish.

I don't even know why I'm asking this because the forum has been a lot easier to manage and read since the ban on app promotions :)

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I whole heartedly agree with you, I was just wondering if it was possible to simply block them from the What's New and keep them in another sub-forum. Obviously setting it up so the site search function would find them so that member actually looking for apps would find them etc - rather than splatting the forum with rubbish.

I don't even know why I'm asking this because the forum has been a lot easier to manage and read since the ban on app promotions :)
I'm trying to help you out!:p

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
chris What about adding this thread as a sticky that eiCers can go to and post about Apps they've purchased and used. People were using this but with all the posts this gets lost and then revisited once in a while. What about making this post, that has valid finds by eiC community members, the go to? This way all app info can be in one spot?

Last edited by a moderator:

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
chris What about adding this thread as a sticky that eiCers can go to and post about Apps they've purchased and used. People were using this but with all the posts this gets lost and then revisited once in a while. What about making this post, that has valid finds by eiC community members, the go to? This way all app info can be in one spot?
The creator of that thread should be banned too :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
iPhonewarrior

Hey Man! :eek: Cut that out! :cautious:

I see what's happening here! The eiC essense of Napoleon_PhoneApart is seeping out of your pores! your a crafty one aren't U. I expect a retort like that from Nappy, but you?!(n) I'm so surprised! LOL! :D:ROFLMAO:

I'm a valuable member of the eiC. :cool: Been here since 2008!:p Um....whatelse...

.....Please baby, please baby, please baby please, don't ban me!:whistle: I ain't got no wheres else to go! O_o