A Thought on Volume Problems

Jul 4, 2007
Okay, I'm sure this is not the volume problem some of you are having, but it was for me and another person in the iPhone workshop I went to. Both of us were barely able to hear anything when we were talking on the phone. Then it occurred to me that maybe the plastic cover that came over the screen (which both of us had left on) was covering the speaker. I checked it out and sure enough that piece of plastic was over the speaker. I removed it and now find the volume level to be fine when talking on the phone. Like I said, this probably isn't the issue for most of you, but it might be for a few of you.

Lheaxhuns

Jun 27, 2007
When will the Apple nut-swingers around here just accept the fact that the volume blows.

Jul 4, 2007
When will the Apple nut-swingers around here just accept the fact that the volume blows.
Just trying to help out.

By the way, my volume doesn't blow. I can hear it perfectly fine. So I guess you either got a crappy phone or you need to have your ears checked (seriously.)

seabreeze

Jul 1, 2007
Just trying to help out.

By the way, my volume doesn't blow. I can hear it perfectly fine. So I guess you either got a crappy phone or you need to have your ears checked (seriously.)

I returned my iPhone, because Apple insisted that the volume was correct and matched others in the store! The speaker volume is too low, the ringer volume is too low even when I have it maxed out. And the call volume is too low even when I have that maxed out. There is no plastic covering my phone either. I love the phone, and decided that it had to work as a phone before all else! I also didn't want to get stuck with a 2 year contract with AT&T with all these issues. Cannot afford to tell clients that "Sorry I can't hear you". I was in the store, agreed it's noisy, I had my son call both my phones the iPhone and an LG ENV 9900. The difference was amazing! I just returned my iPhone there and then!

Lheaxhuns

Jun 27, 2007
Just trying to help out.

Maybe you should try a phone out with a decent speaker. I can hear fine too, unless there's back-round noise. My phone was tested with numerous other phones in the Apple store and they said it was the same. The volume level was obviously reduced to get more life out of the battery, and it's just too low.

Lheaxhuns

Jun 27, 2007
I returned my iPhone, because Apple insisted that the volume was correct and matched others in the store! The speaker volume is too low, the ringer volume is too low even when I have it maxed out. And the call volume is too low even when I have that maxed out. There is no plastic covering my phone either. I love the phone, and decided that it had to work as a phone before all else! I also didn't want to get stuck with a 2 year contract with AT&T with all these issues. Cannot afford to tell clients that "Sorry I can't hear you". I was in the store, agreed it's noisy, I had my son call both my phones the iPhone and an LG ENV 9900. The difference was amazing! I just returned my iPhone there and then!
I had the envy too, the volume is literally 5 times as loud on that LG phone than the iPhone.

seabreeze

Jul 1, 2007
I have the LG now, I didn't give up my service with Verizon as we are on a family plan. I heard that AT&T will not charge anything if you return the phone and ask to end the service within 4 days. So that's what I did! I am not happy about it, because I love the iPhone. I hear everyone else talking about mms and camera and all the other stuff, but those things I know will be fixed by firmware updates. I was worried about the hardware and the speaker phone volume. I also heard that Apple lowered the default volumes to increase battery power? and I also heard that the phone battery has a max charge of 300 charges..... I still don't know what that means? As to me it means 300 days and the battery has to be replaced by Apple! which means that I will be without a phone for how many days? So I am just going to wait till some of the 1st generation bugs get sorted out...... I do love the phone.....
Oh and another thing, I love the phone so much, that if the volume wont work properly, it will annoy me to hell! On other phones, it does not matter because I look at them more as a utility....The iPhone is art, and if it works as a phone then it will change the phone idustry forever..... That's just my opinion.....

RCGRL

Jul 4, 2007
Hey johnnythrux, that was a GREAT tip! I too made the silly mistake of leaving the plastic cover on and had a momentary "mental meltdown" with the "low volume problem.." I was ready to bring the phone in to the store and complain like some of the other posts. Then I read this and DUH.. Works fine now!

Wishbone

Jun 18, 2007
I suspect this volume issue is something Apple can fix with a software update. The volume on mine seems low too, but then again my hearing isn't as great as it could be.

Treos have the same problem and many people purchased a small program that they would install (VolumeCare I think) and it helped increase the volume tremendously, so we know it can be done.

I don't know who started the BS rumor that Apple did this on purpose, but everyone seems to accept this is fact. Truth is..no one knows but Apple, but it seems the vast majority of people have no issues with the volume, and thereforee I'll just continue to enjoy my phone and try to find a quiter place to talk, or use my BT Headset, till they get it fixed.

I do know that even though the screen showed my volume at max (using the external keys) I continued to hold down on the increase volume button and it did still continue to increase. YMMV

seabreeze

Jul 1, 2007
I returned my iPhone, as much as I loved it, i don't want to be stuck with a 2year plan on AT&T. Unless the Volume is fixed. I will wait and buy one in a couple of months once all the bugs are fixed.

Wishbone

Jun 18, 2007
Wrong. Everyones volume is the same, and it's obviously a lot quieter than most phones.
I like the way you are so certain .... However, you must be restricted to reading only in the 12 year old section.

Sorry, but there are many posts in many forums that the volume is more than satisfactory, and also that Apple is replacing some phones brought into their stores that do exhibit this problem.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Wrong. Everyones volume is the same, and it's obviously a lot quieter than most phones.
I'm happy with the volume. Especially when i'm in my office and wanna use the iPod feature. It's plenty loud.

captain4004

Bronze
May 2, 2007
Charleston SC
Just trying to help out.

True it doesn't blow but it surely isn't perfect for the hearing, Apple does need to address the volume issue as the ear piece and speaker could be tweeked a little louder.

art

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
I returned my iPhone, as much as I loved it, i don't want to be stuck with a 2year plan on AT&T. Unless the Volume is fixed. I will wait and buy one in a couple of months once all the bugs are fixed.
Very smart move. The second version of Apple products are always the winners anyway. This way you will have a phone that IS worth what you paid for it.

This volume issue is very real even it the Apple fanatics don't want to admit it.

Finally its' the smart people like you that return the phones, thereby calling the problem to the attention of Apple so they can fix it in the next version.

Nice Work!

art

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
I have the LG now, I didn't give up my service with Verizon as we are on a family plan. I heard that AT&T will not charge anything if you return the phone and ask to end the service within 4 days. So that's what I did! I am not happy about it, because I love the iPhone. I hear everyone else talking about mms and camera and all the other stuff, but those things I know will be fixed by firmware updates. I was worried about the hardware and the speaker phone volume. I also heard that Apple lowered the default volumes to increase battery power? and I also heard that the phone battery has a max charge of 300 charges..... I still don't know what that means? As to me it means 300 days and the battery has to be replaced by Apple! which means that I will be without a phone for how many days? So I am just going to wait till some of the 1st generation bugs get sorted out...... I do love the phone.....
Oh and another thing, I love the phone so much, that if the volume wont work properly, it will annoy me to hell! On other phones, it does not matter because I look at them more as a utility....The iPhone is art, and if it works as a phone then it will change the phone idustry forever..... That's just my opinion.....
Thanks for your very well written post. I agree with you, the iPhone is art.

In addition, it's a premium product at a premium price which should provide a premium experience and this iPhone does not.

I'm up for version 2.0!

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Thanks for your very well written post. I agree with you, the iPhone is art.

In addition, it's a premium product at a premium price which should provide a premium experience and this iPhone does not.

I'm up for version 2.0!
Sorry you feel that way! See ya later!

Platinum

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
Alot of people have been able to fix the volume issue by going into settings on the phone and sliding the ringer volume all the way down and then back up... it seems like some software glitch.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Alot of people have been able to fix the volume issue by going into settings on the phone and sliding the ringer volume all the way down and then back up... it seems like some software glitch.
Hadn't heard about this...interesting.

mav

Bronze
May 9, 2007
My volume has been fine since day 1. My iPhone has been fine since day 1.