A warning to users of unlocked phones... be very careful!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I am also using an unlocked iPhone and I realized something that we should all be careful of.

When I had AT&T, I was constantly downloading third party apps and checking them out. Every once in a while one of the apps would brick my phone and I would have to do a restore in iTunes.

Now I'm on T-Mobile and it's the same game, I install third party apps that sometimes brick my phone, and I had to restore last night. But this time around I noticed that when you restore in iTunes it FORCES an update. Do you know what this means? When the new update comes out, and you brick your phone playing with third party apps and then try and restore, it will force the new update into your phone, which is almost guaranteed to permanently brick your phone according to threats from Apple.

So the warning is be very careful with third party apps that could possibly brick your phone because as soon as the new update comes out, you will not be able to restore until the hackers hack the new update, which could take who knows how long. I would play it very safe until a hack to the new update for unlocked phones is released. If you're unlocked phone locks up and you go to restore and notice that the new update is available, guess what, you're screwed.

viperboy

Sep 11, 2007
good point, but what keeps you from restoring without being connected to the internet? you restore your iPhone and it CANT update the new software.

pn.md

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7768

"download the 1.0.2 restore file and hold "option" while pressing restore. Hold shift if on windows. That will let you point to a file for iTunes to use.

I would kill your internet connection as well just in case when restoring."

-------------

I've already downloaded 1.0.2 for safe keeping in anticipation of updates for my AppTapp'd iPhone.

f1ipzid3

Sep 25, 2007
I am looking to buy an iPhone soon and unlock it also,

so when u say "restore" what exact restore method you are using/talking about? just wondering since i know i might run into "bricking" my phone also

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I am looking to buy an iPhone soon and unlock it also,

so when u say "restore" what exact restore method you are using/talking about? just wondering since i know i might run into "bricking" my phone also
I'm talking about hooking up your phone to iTunes and pushing the restore button. If you do this it will force an update. A good point was made though that you can unplug your internet connection - unless iTunes auto downloads the update as soon as it's available. Then you're still screwed. I don't think it does this though.

HELPmepLox

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
So.Cal
If i just have NES on my iPhone and i needed to restore it should be fine right. Its not unlock or anything you think it would still mess up?
but what am i saying no one knows this for sure... what do you guys think

f1ipzid3

Sep 25, 2007
I'm talking about hooking up your phone to iTunes and pushing the restore button. If you do this it will force an update. A good point was made though that you can unplug your internet connection - unless iTunes auto downloads the update as soon as it's available. Then you're still screwed. I don't think it does this though.
oh ok, thanks a lot for the quick response! but yes just waiting till next payday to get it haha, which unlock method did you use anyways? and when you "restore" your phone you have to do the whole unlock method again don't you?

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
oh ok, thanks a lot for the quick response! but yes just waiting till next payday to get it haha, which unlock method did you use anyways? and when you "restore" your phone you have to do the whole unlock method again don't you?
Use iBrickr to get anySIM on there and away you go. Takes 10 minutes. And the unlock stays with a restore (so they say).

ciaran00

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Right. So a restore will FORCE you to check for an update. I've tried firewalling the puppy and even disconnecting the modem but it won't help. So in both those cases, iTunes can't talk to phobos.apple.com (or wherever) but the restore WILL NOT GO THROUGH.

Kind of scary :)

Someone else disconfirm what I've seen if it's not true...

iPhone3.0

Jul 6, 2007
How i check if my iPhone is UnLocked?

i a ready install Apptap in my iPhone and use iBrikr. That's mean my phone is unlocked?

How I check my iPhone to see if unlocked?

If I unlocked , how I re-locked it back again?

Thx
iPhone3.0

bobbyr

Sep 26, 2007
Right. So a restore will FORCE you to check for an update. I've tried firewalling the puppy and even disconnecting the modem but it won't help. So in both those cases, iTunes can't talk to phobos.apple.com (or wherever) but the restore WILL NOT GO THROUGH.

Kind of scary :)

Someone else disconfirm what I've seen if it's not true...
I was wandering about this the other night. Then I checked around and tried the method of selecting a firmware file to update. Right now we have the 1.0.2 image in our iTunes directories since it is current. I saved a copy in a new directory just in case it goes away, but it will be available all over on file archives if and when the need arises.

I checked the method (Windows) where you hold the shift as you select restore, and you get the dialog to select the file to restore - that made me a happy camper. You can browse your hard drive for the restore file.

NOW, if Apple does not pull a fast one like "you must upgrade your firmware to use iTunes" or something like that, we should be OK (for a while). But at least we should be able to restore our phones if need be with 1.0.2 after 1.1.1 comes out.

jerrettpaul

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Denton, TX
SO! im pretty panicked. i really want to restore my phone and be done with this. modding has been fun, but this has scared the balls out of me.

is there ANY confirmed way of restoring your phone without messing it up? if so how do you do it? anyone HELP!