A word about infractions and bad behavior in general

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
For the past few years, the forum software we use did not have an infraction system, which is pretty uncommon for forum software. In any event, that's changed with the recent update. As a result, we've had a number of questions from a number of members about the new system. I hope this will provide more clarification about infractions and bad behavior that is outside the lines of our forum policy, which extends to all members.

Up until now, this was handled by way of PM/PC in a very manual fashion that made it hard to track. Many times, moderators would be forced to jump in a thread with the obiligatory "knock it off or this thread will get locked". In many ways, it was unfair to them. When two people are throwing punches, the person who breaks it up sometimes gets a black eye as a result of an errant punch.

Some forums would go off the rails with such a loosy, goosy approach, but not our community. I'm proud to say that our forums remains one of the more friendlier and knowledgeable sites to talk about the iPhone and iPad. I'd like to keep it that way and improve upon it. At times, we'll still use that approach, but for the most part we will start to take advantage of the infractions system. It's a more systematic approach to pulling someone aside and asking them kindly to follow the rules of the forum.

Though we hope to not need to use it very often, it's just a way to say "Hey, don't do that, please" and then track how many times we've had to warn the same member. If you are ever on the receiving end of an infraction, I hope you will take it semi-seriously, but not to the point that it upsets you or causes you to stew over it.

Moderators and admins don't take joy in issuing warnings or infractions and at times they don't see bad behavior when it takes place. If at any time you feel as if a member is outside the lines, I'd encourage you to use the report a post feature, rather than jump into the fray. Often by choosing the latter, you could find yourself on the receiving end of an infraction. Bad behavior is bad behavior, regardless of the instigator. The best method is to alert our moderator team and then let it go. We'll handle it as best we can.

I love this forum and care about the members. It troubles me when I receive messages, tweets or emails from members that feel as if "this place isn't the same". It makes my stomach turn in knots. You can help affect positive change within the forum and keep the forum admin from getting stomach ulcers. Ultimately, as the community goes, so does eiC. As the admin, at times my role is limited to creating an environment that allows for communal discussion to flourish. That's why we are one of the few (if any) completely ad-free forums for members and we certainly don't charge $2.99 for our app or to remove ads from it. There are no ads. It's also why I spend hours tweaking every single color and button, so there are no visual distractions to the discussions. I'm also extremely approachable and that extends to questions you might have about this post, the rules or your suggestions for improvements.

I certainly hope that we can progress, grow and continue the tradition of being a truly great iPhone community. Not only the first, but the best.

Thanks!

-Chris

p.s. - I'm leaving this thread open, should you have any questions about moving forward.

p.s.s. - I'm going to create a separate thread for discussing ways that we can improve our site, raise membership and participation. I do hope that you'll partake and offer your feedback.

Jmbaker429

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 28, 2010
Florida
Looks good. Also just wanted to take a minute to say thank you for ALL of your hard work and everything you do for the site. Just wanted you to know it doesn't go unappreciated. I enjoy this community and everything it has to offer! You do a great job at running it thank you again Chris.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Of course this place isn't the same. It would be boring and worse off if it was. Communities change, whether the admin rolls with it or not. If they do, some people stay, some people go, and some new people join the fold. If they don't, the whole community goes elsewhere. Thankfully, you roll with it, and that's why I am still here. I have regrettably not stayed in charge of the change in my own communities, and those places are now ghost towns, most of the people having moved on to Facebook or some other newfangled thing like that.

Bottom line, keep doing what you do, I'll still be here, even if it becomes everythingiChris!

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Great. Enjoy your everythingAndroidTroll forum.
We're discussing ways to move this discussion out of the iPhone forum, possibly to a new category. Would love to hear your constructive thoughts on how to best manage topics, so that Android discussion doesn't interfere with what should be dedicated iPhone chat.

Rootntootn

Bronze
Sep 11, 2011
I'm new here. I think you should

1. make a sandbox where members can go to grouse about changes to iOS/iPhone/iPad all they want. Let them (me sometimes) vent there. That way you can direct 'thread-deviants' to that SB.

A smart company (Apple here) will Value such places and will have employees troll them for comments. Innovation can arise from paying attention to kernels of truth in whiners' laments.

2. Work on a really killer FAQ about major, recurrent issues, or put in a link to the best discussions out there of that issue. A lot of us come here for help, and with an extremely refined OS like iOS (that's why I've bought 5 iPhones since the 3), the outstanding pitfalls are relatively known to you experienced ones. Thanks

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I'm new here. I think you should

1. make a sandbox where members can go to grouse about changes to iOS/iPhone/iPad all they want. Let them (me sometimes) vent there. That way you can direct 'thread-deviants' to that SB.

A smart company (Apple here) will Value such places and will have employees troll them for comments. Innovation can arise from paying attention to kernels of truth in whiners' laments.

2. Work on a really killer FAQ about major, recurrent issues, or put in a link to the best discussions out there of that issue. A lot of us come here for help, and with an extremely refined OS like iOS (that's why I've bought 5 iPhones since the 3), the outstanding pitfalls are relatively known to you experienced ones. Thanks
Excellent suggestions. I hope you stick around eiC.(y)