A word about spam...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
let me preface this by saying i know i'm probably taking things too seriously.

BUT...

...as some of you may have noticed, we get tons of spam here, and i have noticed that many reactions to it seem to propagate the problem rather than diminish it.

Anyway, next time you see Spam (no matter how blatant an offense it may be) please fight the urge to post in the thread. This will only bump the thread and help them achieve the goal of reaching as many people they can before banning. Not to mention, there's always the possibility that it is actually NOT spam, and you have just made a person feel very unwelcome (i should know, i have committed this offense myself).

What, then, should you do if not insult their mothers? Simple... report it. just click on this button at the lower-left corner of the offending post, and it will alert the mods, who will be able to delete it and ban the spammer (along with all of his other posts).

So... i don't mean to sound like i'm trying to run the site or anything, and by no means am i trying to call anyone out... just trying to spread the good word.

Last edited by a moderator:

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
so... as some of you may have noticed, we get tons of spam here, and i have noticed that many reactions to it seem to propagate the problem rather than diminish it.

Anyway, next time you see Spam (no matter how blatant an offense it may be) please fight the urge to post in the thread. This will only bump the thread and help them achieve the goal of reaching as many people they can before banning. Not to mention, there's always the possibility that it is actually NOT spam, and you have just made a person feel very unwelcome (i should know, i have committed this offense myself).

What, then, should you do if not insult their mothers? Simple... report it. just click on this button at the lower-left hand of the offending post, and it will alert the mods, who will be able to delete it and ban the spammer (along with all of his other posts).

So... i don't mean to sound like i'm trying to run the site or anything, and by no means am i trying to call anyone out... just trying to spread the good word.
I never noticed that triangle til now lol.

H

Hayesimus

BUT...

...as some of you may have noticed, we get tons of spam here, and i have noticed that many reactions to it seem to propagate the problem rather than diminish it.

What, then, should you do if not insult their mothers? Simple... report it. just click on this button at the lower-left hand of the offending post, and it will alert the mods, who will be able to delete it and ban the spammer (along with all of his other posts).

SPAM... ;)

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Yeah.. we had three or four Nigerian spammers last night. They all had the standard list of things to sell, such as 32 GB iPhones. :)

- John

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I always just report it. By responding you are just giving attention to the spammer.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yeah you are, but I can handle it.

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com

BUT...

is this spam?
stop spammin dude
not cool

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Yeah you are, but I can handle it.
no, i know you know about the report button... that was really my main point. I just got the feeling over time that not many people even knew it was possible to report posts.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
no, i know you know about the report button... that was really my main point. I just got the feeling over time that not many people even knew it was possible to report posts.
We have a ton of new people here and will get even more as 7/11 approaches. It is good to let everyone know the button is there.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
and like i said, i've certainly had my share of bad judgments in the past.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Spam actually slowed down for awhile, but it's picked up now.

- John

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Well, I guess it is inexpensive.

- John