A world first: Vaccine helps prevent HIV infection

Mar 2, 2009
California
This is VERY exciting news.

I know that all the health companies that provide medication for this horrible disease will probably not like this, as they'll be losing a ton of money.

HIV / AIDS Vaccine

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Results: New infections occurred in 51 of the 8,197 given vaccine and in 74 of the 8,198 who received dummy shots. That worked out to a 31 percent lower risk of infection for the vaccine group.
At best, it decreases the odds a little. Not enough to be approved by the FDA. That percentage will probably decrease with time too, since the virus mutates rapidly. It might be a step in the right direction though.

Mar 2, 2009
California
At best, it decreases the odds a little. Not enough to be approved by the FDA. That percentage will probably decrease with time too, since the virus mutates rapidly. It might be a step in the right direction though.
Yeah, I'm hoping this gets even better with time. I'd like to see this completely rid the body of the HIV / AIDS infection. I know of a few friends who have it, and it's not fun to have to see them suffer.

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
I always thought that just destroying the entire body's T cells and then doing a full blood transfusion would rid the patient of AIDS.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I always thought that just destroying the entire body's T cells and then doing a full blood transfusion would rid the patient of AIDS.
Attempting to remove all of the blood (and do a 100% blood transfusion) without killing someone would be impossible, at least currently anyway. When they do heart surgery, they have to stop the heart and switch you over to a heart lung machine. If they were removing all the blood, that wouldn't work. You would have down time where there would be nothing to circulate. During that time, there would be no blood pressure, circulation or perfusion. The tissues and organs would start to die within minutes. Much faster than they could reperfuse and get your heart started back up.

All that being said, if even a nano drop is left in the body, the virus would continue to spread. You wouldn't be able to remove all of the blood. Some would be left in the capillaries, kidneys, lungs, etc.

Mar 2, 2009
California
Attempting to remove all of the blood without killing someone would be impossible (at least currently) anyway. When they do heart bypass, they have to stop the heart and switch you over to a heart lung machine. If they were removing all the blood, that wouldn't work. You would have down time in between the time they stopped your heart and started it back up. During that time, there would be no blood pressure, circulation or perfusion. The tissues and organs would die within minutes. Much faster than they could reperfuse and get your heart started back up.

All that being said, if even a nano drop is left in the body, the virus would continue to spread. You wouldn't be able to remove all of the blood. Some would be left in the capillaries, kidneys, lungs, etc.
You really are a genius, Europa. The title next to your name fits you well. :)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
ROTFLMAO

That's actually a lot more accurate :)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Nah, I spend the whole day with my ass parked in front of a computer, I'm pretty good with Google. I remember back in 1997, I had a Geddylee@hotmail address. I didn't set it up intending to get fan mail or anything, I just liked Rush at the time. I started getting email from people asking if I was Geddy. Usually I just ignored them, but I was bored one day and decided to mess with this guy. I said yes, I'm Geddy... He replied back incredulously asking if I was really him and gave me a list of questions only Geddy would know. I found all of them with Alta Vista and replied with the answers. He then wrote back asking if I still had some necklace or charm or something that he gave me while "I" was on stage in the early 80's, lol. At that point, I felt kind of bad for tricking the guy. I know, I'm going to hell, lol.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
Being a "Google-whore" is a good deal better than being ignorant. At least they learn things along the way.

Mar 2, 2009
California
Being a "Google-whore" is a good deal better than being ignorant. At least they learn things along the way.
Being a hypochondriac like myself, I've learned about way too many things most people don't know about. I totally agree with your statement. :eek:k:eek:k

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Who are you referring to London?