A2dp with 2.0 update

ventrj

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
I have not heard anything about a2dp with the new 2.0 update, does anyone know if there is going to be anything done about it?

Jhors2

Bronze
Nov 11, 2007
A2DP would require a hardware update from what I understand so it can't be implimented. But thats just what I've heard/read....

wrhutch

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Pottsboro Texas
A2DP would require a hardware update from what I understand so it can't be implimented. But thats just what I've heard/read....
I heard that the CPU already supports it and simply needs the code to use it.

ventrj

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
I heard that the CPU already supports it and simply needs the code to use it.
I heard the same thing it has the ability, it just needs to be unlocked.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I'm not so sure that a hardware update is necessary. Many of the Windows Mobile devices were updated with A2DP via a firmware update to the bluetooth profiles.

Daywalker7

May 12, 2007
I would be willing to bet almost anything that it will be out with the new updates but at a price.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I actually doubt that A2DP will be available any time soon. For some reason, Mr. Jobs and the people at Apple seem to think that they know what's best for their consumers- even when the consumers are screaming for features that should have been included from the start.
I think that the next version of the iPhone will have many of the features that most of us have been screaming for, but things like Flash, Copy/paste, A2DP, and a few others will still be left out because Old Steve-o doesn't think that they are necessary, or he believes that they would "bog-down" the iPhone. Meanwhile, the rest of us are slowly beaten into submission because we are getting by without them. Eventually, we won't really even think about them.

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
I actually doubt that A2DP will be available any time soon. For some reason, Mr. Jobs and the people at Apple seem to think that they know what's best for their consumers- even when the consumers are screaming for features that should have been included from the start.
I think that the next version of the iPhone will have many of the features that most of us have been screaming for, but things like Flash, Copy/paste, A2DP, and a few others will still be left out because Old Steve-o doesn't think that they are necessary, or he believes that they would "bog-down" the iPhone. Meanwhile, the rest of us are slowly beaten into submission because we are getting by without them. Eventually, we won't really even think about them.
He can't stop flash, if Apple doesn't develop it, adobe are currently developing it, so, it'll get there eventually.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
He can't stop flash, if Apple doesn't develop it, adobe are currently developing it, so, it'll get there eventually.
Adobe already stated that they cannot develope it with the current restrictions in the SDK. Restrictions you say? Yes, because flash would be directly used in Safari, which is more than just the OS.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I know, right? No Flash sucks the big hairy one.....

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
doesn't A2DP also give the ability to transfer files via bluetooth? Or can any BT profile do that? Im just wondering.
I guess Im thinking if Apple did implement A2DP, wouldn't we be able to share music with one another? That might be the main reason they wouldn't include it. That would surely hurt iTunes sales.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
doesn't A2DP also give the ability to transfer files via bluetooth? Or can any BT profile do that? Im just wondering.
I guess Im thinking if Apple did implement A2DP, wouldn't we be able to share music with one another? That might be the main reason they wouldn't include it. That would surely hurt iTunes sales.
No. A2DP is only for wirelessly playing music. What you are referring to is the OBEX bluetooth stack which quite often gets crippled by the wireless carrier.

Here is a helpful link that describes the different bluetooth profiles and what they do:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_profile

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
I miss having that. I used to BT ringtones to my buddy with my RAZR and couldnt do it on the iPhone was dissapointing to say the least.