A2dp

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Are we really absolutely certain that the iPhone will have A2DP (stereo bluetooth)? Or are we just assuming?

My thoughts: Since Apple has a (rather ugly) REGULAR NON-A2DP bluetooth earpiece AND the stereo earBUDS (%^@# it - I hate earbuds) are WIRED it's pretty clear to me that they won't support the A2DP profile. Also, since A2DP is such a big deal in every other phone, them not talking about it is very suspicious.

Frankly, unless someone has proof, I would be willing to bet the price of an 8GB iPhone that they will NOT have A2DP support.

Last edited by a moderator:

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
I don't think there has been any official word yet. I believe that A2DP will be present. It would be a rather glaring omission for a device that touts its multimedia capabilities. Just because Apple is releasing a standard (mono) bluetooth headset is no proof one way or the other of A2DP's presense in the the bluetooth stack.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Well, they haven't announced that you can record video with the camera either and that's been a necessary component for cellphones for years. I will be surprised if it has video recording too, which sucks.

I REALLY am being skeptical here because I truly think that Apple is counting on the wow factor of multi-touch and combining a phone with an ipod and web surfing that we will just gloss over features that are important to the newest cellphones today, like expandable memory. If they were hoping to surprise us, this isn't something they would choose to surprise us with. It would be some other proprietary Apple invention along the lines of multi-touch. But they already announced that, so really there aren't going to be any pleasant surprises, except maybe for us being allowed to purchase one without a contract.

Basically, what i'm saying is, if they aren't advertising it already, it's not going to be there.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
Basically, what i'm saying is, if they aren't advertising it already, it's not going to be there.
Why would you think that? I for one expect there to be at least one "Wow" feature that hasn't been announced.

As far as A2DP goes, there is very little that Apple needs to do to support the feature. The iPhone already has bluetooth 2.0 so adding a profile to the stack is not that big of a deal.

What makes you think that the iPhone will not have video capability? As far as I know, if the camera hardware is of decent quality (and I am sure it is), adding video is just a matter of software. This also assumes that the processor has enough horse power to handle it, but judging by the responsiveness of the iPhone in the keynote, I don't think that will be a problem.

In a nutshell, I think you may be pleasantly surprised by what the iPhone can do above and beyond what was shown in January's keynote.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
What makes you think that the iPhone will not have video capability?
Well, they haven't announced this otherwise normal unimpressive feature.
In a nutshell, I think you may be pleasantly surprised by what the iPhone can do above and beyond what was shown in January's keynote.
I certainly hope so. I certainly hope so.

I like pleasant surprises. And I hate saying "I told you so."

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
Well, they haven't announced this otherwise normal unimpressive feature.
There are several mundane features that were not discussed during the keynote like voice dial and vibrate mode. Lets hope they were left out because they are considered standard features vs because they are not present.

Time will tell, and I too hope I won't hear an "I told you so" from you in a few weeks ;).

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
Apple was actually pretty slow at adopting Bluetooth in the past—it took quite awhile to finally add it to the Mac.

That said, I would be very surprised if A2DP wasn't included though. Didn't Jobs say the phone would support other bluetooth accessories (not just Apple)?

I'm guessing it would be relatively trivial for Apple to add A2DP to the phone since the code is already written—the library is included in Mac OS X—just tweak it a little bit and recompile for the iPhone.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Ok. I should have looked here before, but I present this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A2DP#Advanced_Audio_Distribution_Profile_.28A2DP.29
many Bluetooth 1.1, 1.2, and 2.0 mobile phones and portable media players natively support A2DP
Since some Bluetooth 1.1 devices support A2DP, are you sure that A2DP is part of the 2.0 profile?
Most bluetooth stacks implement the SCMS-T copyright protection. In these cases it is not possible to connect the A2DP headphones for high quality audio.
(emphasis mine)
Mac OS X v10.4, the current version of Apple's Mac OS X operating system, does not include support for A2DP (there is a limited hack to circumvent this on Intel Macs [4]); however, the developer preview release of Apple's forthcoming Mac OS X v10.5 does
We don't know the details of the OS X inside the phone.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
We don't know the details of the OS X inside the phone.
No we don't, but we do have some hints. Steve Jobs said that the iPhone UI takes advantage of Core Animation. Since this is a feature of OS X 10.5 (Leopard), I think we can safely say that some, if not all, of the iPhone's OS is based on Leopard. Let's hope that A2DP is included.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
Here is the quote from Steve's keynote that I referenced in the previous post.

It’s got everything from Cocoa and the graphics and it’s got core animation built in and it’s got the audio and video that OSX is famous for. It’s got all the stuff we want. And it’s built right in to iPhone.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
Oops, I misspoke.. if Tiger doesn't have A2DP (there's so many profiles it's hard to keep them all straight), developers have already confirmed Leopard does—so the code is there anyway.

The iPhone has many design cues taken directly from Leopard (see Apple's Mail and Calendar apps)—so I'm sure the iPhone is based partly on Leopard... and probably more of Apple's secret underground laboratory/iPod resources. ;)

Apple has never been really keen on copy management systems... so I doubt this will be in the implementation.

sdge

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
The iPhone doesn't have A2DP, if that's what you mean...
I thought I heard that the bluetooth chip in the iPhone (even v1) has the hardware for A2dp, just not the software.

I really, really, really, really, wish they'd give us A2dp if possible.