About activation in stores

Aug 26, 2007
Do they take it out of the box in the store and activate it for you through iTunes? Or do you simply fill out a few paperwork and you take it home to activate it?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Today it has been a little bit of both. With most stores sold out, the next go around will probably be in store only.

Aug 26, 2007
Is there any way to take it home to activate it? I kind of want to apply the Invisible Shield as soon as I take it out of the box.

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
mine was activated at home. it took an average of 15mins per person waiting in line at the store.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Is there any way to take it home to activate it? I kind of want to apply the Invisible Shield as soon as I take it out of the box.
They will leave the plastic covering on and just pop in the USB cable to activate. At least that's what they did for me since I asked.

My Invisible Shield isn't coming until July 25th.:mad:

Aug 26, 2007
The plastic covering the front and back? Or just the front?

Maybe I'm just overthinking it, but now that the iPhone's back is made of plastic.. have to be extra careful. =\

tdefriez

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Strange

They will leave the plastic covering on and just pop in the USB cable to activate. At least that's what they did for me since I asked.

The plastic wrap covered the port on mine.
As a current legal AT&T iPhone users so all they did in store (Apple store not AT&T store) was scanned the barcodes on the box (apparently need to activate with AT&T), checked my current AT&T status and number, took my money, placed the wrapped iPhone box in a bag and let me activate at home. I did notice that they clearly took more time and attached new users (those without iPhone or who seemed to be switching carriers) iPhones to iTunes (this is what you notice when you waited in-line for 2 hours outside the store, 45 minutes in the store, it took less than 10 minutes once I was with a rep. Two friends who when in earlier and later noticed similar and talking with one of the Apple guys in store he said it really depended on the user and if the activation site was working if they were full activating in store or not.

Aug 26, 2007
I heard that you can sign some kind of agreement and take it home to activate it, as long as you activate it within 30 days? I think I read it on Engadget.

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007

Yeah, I got an email saying mine won't be shipped till the 18th.

desibhar

Bronze
Jul 1, 2008
They let me take mine at home to activate because the servers were overloaded (waited over an hour). I doubt they will let you do that in the future.

hoits2000

Bronze
Mar 15, 2007
I know I am late but, I got mine at att on sat morning, I was 6th in line. I said the screen that had a paragraph on it, which Im guessing was the contract even though it said nothing about two years on it, and I paid and they gave me a white iPhone still sealed to take home.

The guy said they tried the first iPhone activation on the 11th, then everyone after that they just had people take them home.

Aug 26, 2007
Ok I'm a bit confused now... I called about 3 AT&T stores and 2 Apple stores and I'm hearing different things.

Both of the employees at the Apple store told me that in store activation was required by policy whereas the AT&T employees told me I could just sign a contract and take the iPhone home to activate it. The funny thing is, the AT&T manager told me that this was the policy for both AT&T and Apple stores.

So who's right?