About AT&T/Cingular contracts

Daywalker7

May 12, 2007
I was a customer of the original AT&T cellular service before they became Cingular a few years back. I was in the middle of my contract then.
I was given the option to either terminate my existing contract or continue on with Cingular.
I bring this up because there are people who are worried because they are not "new customers" they won't be able to get an iPhone. But in reality, we are all new customers because our contracts were with Cingular, not AT&T.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I was a customer of the original AT&T cellular service before they became Cingular a few years back. I was in the middle of my contract then.
I was given the option to either terminate my existing contract or continue on with Cingular.
I bring this up because there are people who are worried because they are not "new customers" they won't be able to get an iPhone. But in reality, we are all new customers because our contracts were with Cingular, not AT&T.
Not true in this case. At&t is still Cingular, it's just changing it's name this time. I think there are still a few contract holders from the old At&t Wireless days, but they will be required to get on a new system of some sorts. The old At&t Wireless system is not compatible with the Cingular/New At&t system for billing.

Daywalker7

May 12, 2007
Not true in this case. At&t is still Cingular, it's just changing it's name this time. I think there are still a few contract holders from the old At&t Wireless days, but they will be required to get on a new system of some sorts. The old At&t Wireless system is not compatible with the Cingular/New At&t system for billing.
Oh well. It was worth a shot.

Daywalker7

May 12, 2007
I was told by a Cingular rep that existing customers would not be sold the iPhone. I was told we would have to wait until fall.
There is so much miss information going around, I don't know what to think.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I was told by a Cingular rep that existing customers would not be sold the iPhone. I was told we would have to wait until fall.
There is so much miss information going around, I don't know what to think.
Now that's hard to believe. How can they turn their back on faithful customers and cater to incremental businesss. Don't see that happenin'.

May 12, 2007
Now that's hard to believe. How can they turn their back on faithful customers and cater to incremental businesss. Don't see that happenin'.
It happens all the time with Cingular.
I buy a new phone sometimes twice a year and the rep always gives me a hard time when purchasing a new phone.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I buy a new phone sometimes twice a year and the rep always gives me a hard time when purchasing a new phone.
Are you talking about paying full retail because you don't qualify for the upgrade price or the promotional price for new customers? That's an entirely different thing than telling existing customers they CAN'T upgrade to new equipment when they do qualify.

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
Dosen't even matter, everybody is paying the same price on this thing so even if you are eligible for a upgrade guess what? Your still gonna pay the same price.

mav

Bronze
May 9, 2007
AT&T = Cingular.

Back when Cingular took over AT&T Wireless, they were different companies using different backends even different technologies. This time, it is a simple rebranding of Cingular to AT&T.

I've already been told by several of my local AT&T that they will not sell existing customers the iPhone unless I add a new line to my contract.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
AT&T = Cingular.

Back when Cingular took over AT&T Wireless, they were different companies using different backends even different technologies. This time, it is a simple rebranding of Cingular to AT&T.

I've already been told by several of my local AT&T that they will not sell existing customers the iPhone unless I add a new line to my contract.
I haven't been told that by any. I called Cingular Customer Support (611) and they didn't say that either.

I hope you're wrong or they're going to really piss off some current customers. all a customer out of contract would have to do is say, "cancel my contract." and the turn around and open a new account so they would be considered a new customer. Naaah.:(

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
I haven't been told that by any. I called Cingular Customer Support (611) and they didn't say that either.

I hope you're wrong or they're going to really piss off some current customers. all a customer out of contract would have to do is say, "cancel my contract." and the turn around and open a new account so they would be considered a new customer. Naaah.:(
I have read this rumor elsewhere. I really hope it isn't true. If it is, I will cancel my existing account and start a new one. My existing contract just happens to expire on 6/29. I know I will lose my number, but if push comes to shove I am willing to make that sacrifice. I really hope I don't have to though.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I have read this rumor elsewhere. I really hope it isn't true. If its, I will cancel my existing account and start an new one. My existing contract just happens to expire on 6/29. I know I will lose my number, but if push comes to shove I am willing to make that sacrifice. I really hope I don't have to though.
I don't see it happening. You don't alienate your base customers to gain incremental businesss. This is not like offering equipment subsidies for new customers or renewing customers. What you're talking about is telling existing customers that they're going to take care of the new people that haven't been faithfully paying their bills for years. Naaaah. Won't happen.

cigsm

Jun 10, 2007
I'm a corporate account member with Cingular. We have different customer service. The rep told me that it's illegal to not sell someone something, even it if it's not at a discounted rate. She also told me that they would be available for EVERYONE. She said while they're unsure of pricing (yeah right), even if I didn't get the "new" pricing (since im not elligible to upgrade), I could pay regular price for the phone and it WONT extend my contract. I also asked that since im a corporate account member & I'm eligibible for 30% off all equipment, if that would count for the iPhone too. She said of course. I asked her to note it on my account & she did. I called back & got adifferent rep & asked them if it was noted on my account. They said it was & confirmed the same thing the other rep said.

AT&T = Cingular.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I'm a corporate account member with Cingular. We have different customer service. The rep told me that it's illegal to not sell someone something, even it if it's not at a discounted rate. She also told me that they would be available for EVERYONE. She said while they're unsure of pricing (yeah right), even if I didn't get the "new" pricing (since im not elligible to upgrade), I could pay regular price for the phone and it WONT extend my contract. I also asked that since im a corporate account member & I'm eligibible for 30% off all equipment, if that would count for the iPhone too. She said of course. I asked her to note it on my account & she did. I called back & got adifferent rep & asked them if it was noted on my account. They said it was & confirmed the same thing the other rep said.
Welcome to EiP.

I hope your reps know what they're talking about. It sounds like it will work out for you if they do.

mav

Bronze
May 9, 2007
Thanks for the info.

I have a corporate account as well as a personal one with AT&T. Talking to customer service via 611 and other corporate AT&T connections, they will let anyone, new customers, current customers in or out of contract, buy the iPhone. Their corporate policy is not to alientate customers. However it seems like there is a huge disconnect b/w corporate AT&T and the local stores.

I'm hoping to buy from the Apple store, hoping that they do not require immediate in-store activation and pop in my sim card.

hmlaa

Bronze
Jun 10, 2007
i got my phone around christmas time 2005 with a 2 year contract.... and i am getting the iPhone and my previous service was cingular/att so what s gonna happen or what do i do?:(

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
For the record short of practicing discrimination it is NOT illegal to not sell someone something.

You are not obligated to sell someone something if you don't want to do it.