About GPS on new iPhone 3G

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
So this is great, we kind ahave GPS on the new iPhone (I said "kinda" because it's not full turn by turn GPS) but will we have to pay a subscription for the service?

I don't have a GPS so I'm not familiar with it but I believe you have to pay a monthly fee for that, don't you?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
No. I have a Magellan GPS device and I pay nothing for it, and Steve said nothing about that yesterday, so I assume it's just there.

- John

chrissurra

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
ATT said theres no fee for GPS oly 10 more for 3g.

hydro94530

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
GPS is always free, adding map packs and real time traffic costs on some nav devices.

May 6, 2007
United States
The GPS service is free. I don't know much about the features of the GPS on the iPhone yet, how does it look?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Guys, turn-by-turn is nice. But really, I wouldn't pay for it. I guess some folks are bad navigators, but I have no problem using even the V1 iPhone's Google Maps to get around, and I'm freakin' horrible with directions. If I feel I've missed a turn, the locate me button usually is precise enough to confirm my suspicions.

If I had a pinpoint GPS dot tracking me I would be in hog heaven.

But that's just me. Tom Tom and others will definitely have services available for iPhone, and they will likely be cheaper (maybe same subscription price, but cheaper on outset) than buying a unit because they're not providing the hardware.

I just hope Apple is smart enough to bring BT or wifi GPS support to the first generation iPhone so that we may all share in these new softwares. They could even cash in on selling their own GPS unit that fashions well with the iPhone

Aug 8, 2007
Gps

Well technically we pay for GPS when we pay our US Federal taxes :). Little known fact...:laugh2:

Tarmac

Mar 29, 2008
It's GPS but not turn by turn GPS? What other kind of GPS is there?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I don't see how you think it doesn't have turn-by-turn directions. Just because it isn't audible doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
I don't see how you think it doesn't have turn-by-turn directions. Just because it isn't audible doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
...and just because Steve didn't take the thing for a ride to show how the GPS works doesn't mean it doesn't have it. He said built in GPS, Im assuming it will have turn by turn.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
OK, everyone take a deep breath.

A GPS, by itself, does one thing: provide your latitude and longitude.

A GPS mapping device adds maps of some sort - street maps, topographic maps, nautical charts, etc.

A GPS navigation device (i.e. TomTom, etc) is generally a device with routable street maps - so you can enter a destination, and it will not only figure out the route but give you turn-by-turn directions.

NOW - what the iPhone already has is turn-by-turn directions with NO GPS - i.e. Google Maps. What remains to be seen is what Google has done, if anything, to bring us closer to turn-by-turn directions with prompting, etc, like a TomTom or other. It's a software thing.

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
The new iPhone will have the same google maps as the regular 2.0 software, but adds the GPS feature, but all it does *currently* is show you where you are and makes the dot follow you. It does have turn-by-turn directions just like the google maps we have already have, but it will not have AUDIBLE directions, at least not at first. tom tom has made a program for this though and will include the audible directions. I am sure others will make similar programs.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
But Apple should have given us that for freeeee. Why do I need to pay for a useful piece of software? [/Sarcasm]
Actually I think Apple is doing what a lot of companies are going to start doing. They give you the hardware with a very powerful operating system, a great display and a standard set of software, then let you pick and choose what you want to add to it. Some people might not want GPS, some people might not use GPS, those of us that want it, pay the small cost for the program and BOOM, you have a FULLY functional GPS unit.

I don't know how much Tom Tom is going to charge for the GPS app. But Im sure if you wait a couple of months and Garmin, or some other company creates another GPS app, that will drive the price down. I cant imagine it will be more than 10 or 20 bucks, but who knows.

To me, this is smart businesss.