About That So Called "STORE CREDIT"

hitz

Jul 19, 2007
People....I keep seeing people talking about what they are going to spend it on. However, keep in mind, This Is Apple. I am almost certain they will pull something SUPER SHADY with the store credit.

For example, I bet they will end up saying something like.."You only get the credit toward a new computer or iPod". I highly doubt they would just let you get $100 worth of accessories. That's why they made it a credit instead of cash back. Cause they get product at wholesale costs.

Now I'm not saying the credit is a bad idea. I'm just saying Don't Consider It A Good Thing Until They Give The DETAILS! I'm sure that's why they said "details next week". Gives them the weekend to figure out the best way to scam you/us for more money. It's as if they're saying "Hey, we know we screwed you guys over, now come spend more money with us".

This whole iPhone experience made me realize how shady of a company they are/have become.

I can guarantee you as well that the price drop means they are not going to fix any bugs with the iPhone or add any features. WATCH. They'll just abandon this version.

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
People....I keep seeing people talking about what they are going to spend it on. However, keep in mind, This Is Apple. I am almost certain they will pull something SUPER SHADY with the store credit.

For example, I bet they will end up saying something like.."You only get the credit toward a new computer or iPod". I highly doubt they would just let you get $100 worth of accessories. That's why they made it a credit instead of cash back. Cause they get product at wholesale costs.

Now I'm not saying the credit is a bad idea. I'm just saying Don't Consider It A Good Thing Until They Give The DETAILS! I'm sure that's why they said "details next week". Gives them the weekend to figure out the best way to scam you/us for more money. It's as if they're saying "Hey, we know we screwed you guys over, now come spend more money with us".

This whole iPhone experience made me realize how shady of a company they are/have become.

I can guarantee you as well that the price drop means they are not going to fix any bugs with the iPhone or add any features. WATCH. They'll just abandon this version.
Paranoid much?

It honestly was never about the $$ to me. The comments Steve made that reiterated what many here were trying to get across was enough for me. I am not going to turn down the credit though...

If I do get a store credit my gf is getting a new Nano.

rondz

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Bay Area
I don't agree with that part, I think they'll still update and fix bugs.

ahaxton

Aug 5, 2007
They'll have an update once they maximize profits.

Sell the iPhone for tremendous profit for 2 months, check
Drop the price a ridiculous amount to increase sales a whole lot, check
Give a paltry 100$ to early adopters to switch topics to a happier one and encourage an influx of sales from overspending (as most will do) with the $100 credit, almost check.

Who knows whats next.

HELPmepLox

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
So.Cal
they drop the price $200 they only giving u a 100 back and yet you have to spend it back on their product... i don tknow but atleast u still getting something back i still would b epretti pissd

ahaxton

Aug 5, 2007
they drop the price $200 they only giving u a 100 back and yet you have to spend it back on their product... i don tknow but atleast u still getting something back i still would b epretti pissd
We aren't getting anything back.

iGal

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
SoCal
Look at it this way... there was nothing illegal about what they did. Apple knows that people are upset, and they are doing what they are willing (but not required) to do to pacify their customers.

They don't HAVE to offer compensation to anyone... in ANY form. I think we're looking the gift horse in the mouth by complaining about the form our compensation comes in.

Can anyone HONESTLY say they think any businesss would just hand money out, rather than store credit? Sheesh, a lot of stores only give you store credit on a RETURN--they're giving us store credit just to make us not feel so bad about a price drop!

ahaxton

Aug 5, 2007
Look at it this way... there was nothing illegal about what they did. Apple knows that people are upset, and they are doing what they are willing (but not required) to do to pacify their customers.

They don't HAVE to offer compensation to anyone... in ANY form. I think we're looking the gift horse in the mouth by complaining about the form our compensation comes in.

Can anyone HONESTLY say they think any businesss would just hand money out, rather than store credit? Sheesh, a lot of stores only give you store credit on a RETURN--they're giving us store credit just to make us not feel so bad about a price drop!

Fools gold is fine and all, but it was not to ease our pain and suffering. It was approved to calm the average consumer down and to expand revenues. 2 Christmas' for Jobs when the rebate is released.

iGal

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
SoCal
Fools gold is fine and all, but it was not to ease our pain and suffering. It was approved to calm the average consumer down and to expand revenues. 2 Christmas' for Jobs when the rebate is released.
That's exactly what I said, to pacify the customer. You can look at it from the standpoint of how it benefits them, or you can look at it as mutually beneficial.

Apple didn't have to give me a $100 store credit. They did. I'm not gonna complain about it.

BTW, the fools gold analogy is kind of empty. Fool's gold is worthless, has no monetary value. $100 store credit is still $100. If you just want $100 back in cash, buy a new iPod nano and re-sell it on eBay for close to the retail cost.

ahaxton

Aug 5, 2007
That's exactly what I said, to pacify the customer. You can look at it from the standpoint of how it benefits them, or you can look at it as mutually beneficial.

Apple didn't have to give me a $100 store credit. They did. I'm not gonna complain about it.

BTW, the fools gold analogy is kind of empty. Fool's gold is worthless, has no monetary value. $100 store credit is still $100. If you just want $100 back in cash, buy a new iPod nano and re-sell it on eBay for close to the retail cost.
I meant the original meaning for fool's gold. I think you know what I mean ;)

iGal

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
SoCal
I meant the original meaning for fool's gold. I think you know what I mean ;)
That is the original meaning for fool's gold: a valueless imposter that will trick whoever finds it into thinking they've struck it rich when, in reality, they've found glorified rock.

ahaxton

Aug 5, 2007
That is the original meaning for fool's gold: a valueless imposter that will trick whoever finds it into thinking they've struck it rich when, in reality, they've found glorified rock.
Let me make it simpler, The consumer is like the miners during the gold rush, they are irate, they want their money. Here comes along a $100 store credit (fools gold). They are happy go lucky. In reality, they've gotten nothing while the others have struck it rich (new iPhone buyers)

iGal

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
SoCal
Let me make it simpler, The consumer is like the miners during the gold rush, they are irate, they want their money. Here comes along a $100 store credit (fools gold). They are happy go lucky. In reality, they've gotten nothing while the others have struck it rich (new iPhone buyers)
You don't need to try to explain it, I understand your attempted analogy. You keep repeating what I say as though it contradicts my standpoint.

The problem is that a $100 store credit is not nothing. You can use it to buy something that you want anyway (value) or you can use it to buy something that you intend to sell to make a profit (value). There's no way to accurately compare it to fool's gold because no matter which way you cut it, it has value.

ETA: I think it's unfortunate that there are these token people who are complaining at the reparations Apple is offering. There is no precedent for the effort they're putting in to "make amends." You can see it as them trying to milk you for more money if you want to, but that would be an unfortunate waste. The bottom line is that they were under NO obligation to offer early adopters anything, but they did anyway. I would never expect them to mail us all checks, and a $100 store credit is, honestly, more than I would ever expect from a company of their stature.

I think we should all stop whining that they dropped their prices (just like every other tech company does, regardless of the speed at which they chose to do it) and be happy they cared at least enough to offer what they did. I know I have, and am.

Goodnight, I'm off to dream of my forthcoming nano with video!

Exthero

Aug 29, 2007
When I heard about the price drop I was a bit upset, I only bought my 4Gb a week ago.... I went to the new AT&T and asked for a 8Gb replacement. they did so without question. With the $100 refund from price difference I bought a holster and bluetooth.. So it's not all bad.

Edit: because of the price drop I was charged a restocking fee according to the new price of the 4Gb.

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
"Therefore, we have decided to offer every iPhone customer who purchased an iPhone from either Apple or AT&T, and who is not receiving a rebate or any other consideration, a $100 store credit towards the purchase of any product at an Apple Retail Store or the Apple Online Store. Details are still being worked out and will be posted on Apple's website next week."

kinda looks like he says ANY product to me.. :eek:

saaber

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
Some of you negative guys need to relax. Really. Early adopters pay a premium to get things earlier. We know that going in. Like igal said getting anything back in any form is an unexpected bonus. Being upset that someone else can get something cheaper than you is called jealousy. Stand by your decisions. You made the choice to pay $599/$499. You are not a victim of a corporation, you make the choices. Stop whining.

Just noticed the sticky post at the top that says to not discuss these things here. sorry about that.

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
I'm kinda hoping that $100 can be used for the iTunes Store, but I'm not holding my breath.

Joe

veedubcos

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
The Reason Apple is doing the store credit is simple. Think about it. It would cost them less to just have a customer spend store credit instead of Apple dishing out cash. It doesn't cost Apple nearly as much to manufacture their products. In the end Apple is happy and the customers are happy. I think it is very well put together. I hope I didn't confuse anybody.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
Apple did not need to do anything at all for the early adopters. While what SJ said was technically true about price drops, no one, not even analysts (which many said this was crazy and inappropriate due to the signals it sends), saw this kind of break coming this early. I personally knew it was coming, though I expected it to be mid November in time for Christmas. I don't think a single person outside of a small group in Apple knew this was going to hit.

The fact that there was such a backlash is what caused it. Frankly what they did was wrong (imo) but at least they are attempting to give something back. If you don't want to use it, don't. Let it expire, or better yet I will PM you my e-mail addy and you can send me the code that goes to the credit (I am guessing this is how it will be done) and you can stop thinking about it and how bad life has become due to this.

H

hax

Nope they didn't have to do anything at all, but they saw another way to increase profits as they so desperately want as Jobs said. This Christmas is the last chance before next year. So tally up all the credits used and the overages along with Christmas profits and you got yourself a 2 for 1.