About to upgrade from iOS 6 to 7

Discussion in 'iPhone 4' started by rugved1118, Feb 20, 2014.

1. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

Hello all,
    Am about to upgrade iOS 6 to iOS 7 on my wife's iPhone 4. Would it really have a drastic impact on its performance? A sales executive at Apple Store told me to go ahead with the upgrade as some features are not available considering the older model.

Any opinions?

2. Tech guy4

Tech guy4 New Member

I say do it but make a backup
    I love ios 7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

From everything I've seen, you can expect a performance hit when running iOS 7 on an iPhone 4. The good news is that you are going to be able to upgrade to iOS 7, which is an entirely new operating system. It's a trade-off. You can get the latest and greatest, but the cost is a minor speed hit.

As a reminder, while backups are recommended, you will not be able to go back to iOS 6. There is no way to downgrade from iOS 7 to iOS 6.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Some features of iOS 7 are missing on the iPhone 4:

• 3D Flyover or turn-by-turn navigation in Maps.
    • Panorama mode or Filters in the Camera app (filters can still be applied after-the-fact in the Photos app).
    • AirPlay Mirroring.
    • Siri.
    • AirDrop.
    • A number of the new graphical effects present on all other iOS 7 devices. These include translucency effects throughout the OS, live wallpapers, and the parallax effect used on the Home screen.
    Thanks to ars technica for this list.

5. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

Thank you all.
    Now i have one question to ask. I have downloaded ios7 for iPhone4 from iTunes on my desktop which is worth 1.12 Gb upgrade file. But now, i do not want to upgrade ios7 using my dekstop. So, is there a possibility to copy the upgrade file from desktop to my laptop as i would like to do it using my laptop without downloading 1.12 gb from the internet on my laptop.

6. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Why do you not want to update on the desktop?

7. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

To answer your question, that's fine. You can do it. You have iTunes installed on your laptop?

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

If you don't have a gigabit LAN connection or Ethernet crossover cable, you can use a USB flash drive or an external hard drive.

9. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

Ok but where is the upgrade file located ? Am using desktop n laptop both on windows platform.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

• Windows XP: \Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates
    • Windows Vista & Windows 7: \Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates

11. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

Many thanks to you all. I have successfuly upgraded ios 7.1 on my wife's iPhone4. It does not lag at all. Appreciate your help !