absence of keyboard

JJL

May 31, 2007
I also agree that it is going to be weird that it has no tactile feedback but I think I will get used to it. I am just worried about how easy (or not easy) its going to be able to use it in the car.
Use it in the car? While driving? Are you going to be one of those people who uses Google Maps with the satellite view to watch yourself crash into a tree? :eek: Yikes!

rebelace

Bronze
May 30, 2007
Beaumont,Texas
www.thechadburge.com
Use it in the car? While driving? Are you going to be one of those people who uses Google Maps with the satellite view to watch yourself crash into a tree? :eek: Yikes!

no lol. I am talking about answering calls and such in the car. I am not a complete idiot even though I am guilty of occasionally texting while driving which I try to avoid at all cost.

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
And that was just his index finger. Seems like you could rip along with both thumbs. :eek:
Yeah, Jobs was only holding it like that so that the camera could see the screen. He was only going at half speed. That auto completion feature was used to save a lot of time.

I also agree that it is going to be weird that it has no tactile feedback but I think I will get used to it. I am just worried about how easy (or not easy) its going to be able to use it in the car.
:eek::eek:

Tell me where you live so that I don't drive anywhere near you.

idjmeka

Jun 1, 2007
I have a cingular 8125 with the new custom wm6 OS and it has a somewhat similar on screen touch keyboard instead of using the qwerty slider, I find it fairly easy to use with one hand, but im pretty sure the setup is going to be different from Apple and microsoft based phones, and the fact the predicting texting on the iPhone has a bigger advantage than microsofts which will definantly be a plus for me.

on the note of driving and texting, I can pretty much do it without looking at my phone no once.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
I think its pretty clear the two weakness iPhone will have are the EDGE network (when wifi isn't available--bigger problem for some more then others) and texting.

The study that was posted on this sites front page a week ago about 90% of handset owners rate iPhone experience superior singled out texting as the only area in which the focus group felt their current phone was better (but not by much).

I'm not saying texting will be an awful experience or anything, but its not going to greatly superior to our current phones and may actually inferior to the current keyboard models.
Yes, many people believe that iPhone will not work well for texting. My question is what are they basing their assumptions on? They obviously have not had any hands-on time with a virtual keyboard on a multi-touch screen much less on the iPhone. So imho, the fact that 90% of people feel that the iPhone will not handle texting as well as their current phones means absolutely nothing.

Now if you read the hands on reviews from those that actually got to use the iPhone (only for a few minutes) at MacWorld, you will find that a majority of them were impressed with the keyboard. If they liked it after only using it for a short while, I have to believe that once they had more time to get used to it their opinions would be even higher.

I think the iPhone is going to be a great texting phone. Since I have not been lucky enough to get my hands on an iPhone (yet), this is of course just my opinion. I look forward to finding out if the keyboard will meet my expectations ;).

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Thats what I am talking about and everyone is acting like they have never used there phone in there car.
Just for calling; not for texting. Phone books and speed dialing make it simple to drive and make calls, but texting requires a little more distraction.:(

RoyBoy1285

Jun 1, 2007
It's so amazing that they came out with a smart, touch screen keypad, it's only human nature for people to question the functionality. The buttons are slightly larger than those of PDA phones, and the dictionary will fix words for you if you accidentally hit too many or too few buttons. So set your worries aside, people!

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
Just for calling; not for texting. Phone books and speed dialing make it simple to drive and make calls, but texting requires a little more distraction.:(
And don't forget voice dial is still a possibility. It would seem like a no-brainer since OS X has voice recognition built in but I haven't heard anything definitive about this feature's presense on the iPhone. I really hope it is included in the initial release, but if not it could always come later since it is software based.

Bootlessjam

Bronze
Apr 15, 2007
After trying the on screen keyboard on my hp jornada (with the first Microsoft Pocket PC software), I can say it sucks without a stylus!:mad: and is slow with one.

Using one index finger it wasn't too bad, provided I used my nail since the keys are TINY! The biggest problem I had was pressing the key next to the one I wanted. Using two thumbs is just out of the question, way to big!

The iPhone in theory should get rid of these problems, since the keyboard can tell if you hit the wrong key, and the the keys look bigger.

In the end though, anything would be better than my current phone's number pad!

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Eh im sure I'll like it but maybe I'll Lie to get a dinner with Jobs, maybe I can pump some info out of him :)

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Eh im sure I'll like it but maybe I'll Lie to get a dinner with Jobs, maybe I can pump some info out of him :)
I won't be able to form an opinion until I actually get my hands on one. It won't be a deal breaker for me though because I don't text message much.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
Same here, I will send a few e-mails but not too much. I'm very excited about the touch screen though, it's just way too cool! :cool:
I agree. When I first got my current phone (HTC Wizard), the touch screen was one of the things that I was excited about. I was hoping that I could do most things without a stylus. Unfortunately, it didn't work out as well as I hoped. The screen wasn't very responsive to finger touches and many items (like scroll bars) were difficult to use without a stylus.

The iPhone's UI and mult-touch screen is what I was looking for and more. I am really looking forward to just playing around with it :).

Cantwait4iPhone

May 6, 2007
United States
I agree. When I first got my current phone (HTC Wizard), the touch screen was one of the things that I was excited about. I was hoping that I could do most things without a stylus. Unfortunately, it didn't work out as well as I hoped. The screen wasn't very responsive to finger touches and many items (like scroll bars) were difficult to use without a stylus.

The iPhone's UI and mult-touch screen is what I was looking for and more. I am really looking forward to just playing around with it :).
Yeah, me too. I am very excited to try it out and see what Apple has up its sleeve. Hopefully it will be something huge :D

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA

I can't imagine having to keep up with a stylus. That's the main reason I've never wanted a PDA or smartphone up until now.

beley

Bronze
Apr 2, 2007
I think it's going to be amazing... a real innovation in computing. This is going to be the next BIG thing for Apple. I remember when the iPod came out and it just revolutionized the music industry. This is going to do the same thing for the mobile phone industry.

I've been a Palm user for years, and a Treo user since they came out and still can't type comfortably and fast on my Treo 680. I said a few years ago someone should come out with a phone that's just a BIG touchscreen. Then you could have whatever buttons you need at any time you need them... and they don't have to be 3mm x 3mm.

And now iPhone comes out...

I can't wait to get my hands on the iPhone on the 11th... but more than that I can't wait for the innovations that come after that from other manufacturers in the mobile phone industry. Nokia, Samsung and Motorola will follow suit with their own innovations soon enough and the industry will be entering into a very exciting period.