Accident while using iPhone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

emx620

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
So lets hear it, has anyone gotten in an accident or close call while utilizing their fancy new toy? All stories welcome :)

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a fanatic about setting a good example for my daughter, so I DO NOT use the iPhone while I'm driving. I also don't stand on line and use the phone while a cashier is trying to help me... IT'S RUDE.

I hate to say it in a forum full of cellphone fanatics, but honestly MOST cellphone users have no manners when it's comes to their phone. Hate to tell ya, but unless you're the president or maybe a brain surgeon, you're not that important... 99.9% of your calls or text messages are nothing that couldn't wait for you to pull over for. And if you're not using hands-free for calls in your moving car, you're an idiot.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
I'm a fanatic about setting a good example for my daughter, so I DO NOT use the iPhone while I'm driving. I also don't stand on line and use the phone while a cashier is trying to help me... IT'S RUDE.

I hate to say it in a forum full of cellphone fanatics, but honestly MOST cellphone users have no manners when it's comes to their phone. Hate to tell ya, but unless you're the president or maybe a brain surgeon, you're not that important... 99.9% of your calls are nothing that couldn't wait for you to walk outside or pull over for.
Yeah, i do the same. I don't pull it out when in lines, unless i'm half-way down the line, or near the end. NEVER when I'm being helped. That is just ANNOYING.

dmksaved

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
i try to limit my use on my iPhone while driving . I'll text a quick texted, nothing long . I also got a bluetooth head set to be safe since using the iPhone to answer and hold to your ear would require two hands , one to pick it up one to slide the slider . I installed a holder mounted to the lower rim next to my shifter holds its nice so i can just look down if someone is calling then hit the button on my bluetooh headset to answer . if i got in an accident i prob. woudn't post it since that would be embarrasing .

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
Ditto on the non-use in motor vehicles save the two times I had a call come in when I had my hands free with me (and already hooked up). Hell, I have not even braved using the iPod part while on my bike, that is unusual for me, wondering when I will get over that.

alb0zf1n3st

Silver
Jul 2, 2007
I try not to use it when driving I do find it harder to type with iPhone tho since its touch screen then say blackberry while driving

qlock

Jul 2, 2007
Well, I'm pretty bad about texting and driving. But on my MotoRzr I could text without looking at the phone. Anyway, I live in Destin Florida, a really large tourist area, so the traffic can be horrendous! about 2 days ago I almost rear-ended someone who slammed on there breaks because I was texting on the iPhone. We were only doing 5-10 mph but it would've sucked pretty bad. So I madea vow to not text while driving with this phone.

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
Went with my girlfriend to her Aunts campground at the shore this weekend. Her Uncle through marriage is a, well lets just say he likes to drink....a lot. Basically I got in a comical, (me laughing the whole time), argument with him because of his multiple comments of things like, "why did you buy it right away, in 1 month it will be $50". It was very funny, but i'm guessing you had to be there. I pulled it out and showed him basically everything, and after every single thing I showed him, he pulled his out and said look mine does that, (he didn't get that using a full duel point touch screen was revolutionary). And for everything that his didn't do, he goes, "why would you need that on a phone." Guess some people are just incapable of understanding...

Not really an accident, but still an interesting story, seeing as im sure this kind of thing has happened at least once to us all.

LauraBee

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Napa, CA
www.flyingcolorstattoo.com
Drive the car, park the phone

I've wanted to make that bumper sticker... In CA they've passed a law about talking on the phone while driving (unless you're bluetooth equipped) and people are getting big fat tickets for doing it. Maybe it's that I live in the wine-country or something, but tickets are a big source of revenue here. I put my bluetooth on in the morning and sometimes forget to take it off till I roll over on it in bed, it's small and I forget it's even there until it rings. When I"m tattooing I have contaminated gloves on and can't touch my phone anyway, and I've hung up on people by touching the 'end call' button with my cheek when using it like a regular phone so I never talk on it like that. I hate it when people are messing with their phones and not paying attention to their driving!

mac29

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
i try to limit my use on my iPhone while driving . I'll text a quick texted, nothing long . I also got a bluetooth head set to be safe since using the iPhone to answer and hold to your ear would require two hands , one to pick it up one to slide the slider . I installed a holder mounted to the lower rim next to my shifter holds its nice so i can just look down if someone is calling then hit the button on my bluetooh headset to answer . if i got in an accident i prob. woudn't post it since that would be embarrasing .

Where did you get your holder from? I'm trying to find a nice one.

Romanesq

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
5 Killed in Car Accident while text messaging

Well it's completely beyond me that someone would think that texting is appropriate while driving.

There was just a car accident with five people killed. The accident happened right after a text message was sent from the driver's phone.

Hard to believe anyone would think this is okay when driving. Hitting someone while going 5-10 mph should be a warning. But common sense I guess is lost on the desperate need to text message.

You know how important and critical they are. :oops:

mrmacbook

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007

I hate to say it in a forum full of cellphone fanatics, but honestly MOST cellphone users have no manners when it's comes to their phone. Hate to tell ya, but unless you're the president or maybe a brain surgeon, you're not that important... 99.9% of your calls or text messages are nothing that couldn't wait for you to pull over for. And if you're not using hands-free for calls in your moving car, you're an idiot.
Thanks man. I am a college student and I have a part time job in retail. I work in a little photo lab. All the time customers are coming up to my counter on their phone. I absolutely hate that. I usually ignore them for a while, but eventually give in because I would get in trouble.

Most often, I talk really loud, to "help" them hear me while on the phone. "HOW CAN I HELP YOU TODAY?". Some people get the hint and end their conversation.

I am a police officer and I have to deal with people on their phones all the time. You would be amazed at the amount of people that continue to talk on their cell phone when they get pulled over. Then, they think the cell phone is a valid excuse for running a stop sign or speeding.

My two favorites and most used are:

I did not see the stop sign because I was in the middle of an important phone call.
My response is usually, "Is it important enough to die for" - I had a complaint for saying that once because they thought I was implying I was going to shoot them! I was refering to someone hitting them in the side of the car when they did not stop at the sign.

I was talking on the phone and did not even realize how fast I was going
Oh, I apologize for stopping you then. I did not see you were on the phone. Please, continue on with what your doing. If you speed up a little quicker, you might cross paths with my family and you can hit them head on and maybe your cell phone will fly into my sons lap. He has been asking for a cell phone. (no i have never said this but wanted to)

I use Safari to check out internet based court system for warrants on people but only do so after I am stopped. I bought one of those nice bracketron cup holder brackets for my phone and it rotates to landscape without pushing any buttons or moving anything. I also have a police computer in my car for checking national warrants and vehicle registrations, etc but it does not allow internet access.

emx620

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
I was talking on the phone and did not even realize how fast I was going
Oh, I apologize for stopping you then. I did not see you were on the phone. Please, continue on with what your doing. If you speed up a little quicker, you might cross paths with my family and you can hit them head on and maybe your cell phone will fly into my sons lap. He has been asking for a cell phone. (no i have never said this but wanted to)
The part about the phone on the lap was pretty funny.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I did not see the stop sign because I was in the middle of an important phone call.
My response is usually, "Is it important enough to die for" - I had a complaint for saying that once because they thought I was implying I was going to shoot them! I was refering to someone hitting them in the side of the car when they did not stop at the sign.
Yesterday I almost got hit by a guy who ran a red light while on his stupid ass phone. Drives me NUTS! I would imagine there are a LOT of accidents that happen because of cellphones that we don't even know about. It should be a law that when you're in an accident the police can request of copy of your cellphone records.

Thanks man. I am a college student and I have a part time job in retail. I work in a little photo lab. All the time customers are coming up to my counter on their phone. I absolutely hate that. I usually ignore them for a while, but eventually give in because I would get in trouble.

Most often, I talk really loud, to "help" them hear me while on the phone. "HOW CAN I HELP YOU TODAY?". Some people get the hint and end their conversation.
Ya know, I'm not a cashier nor do I work in retail, nor am I a waitress, but I feel very bad for those that work in those fields and have to deal with people and their cellphones! It is SO INCREDIBLY RUDE to have a conversation with someone on the phone while also trying to check out, ask a salesman questions, or even just eat dinner out. I can't believe how many people will gab on their phone while their spouse sits across from them at a restaurant or while the waitress is trying to take their order. RUDE! It's RUDE people! RUDE!

When I was growing up I always remember my parents telling me NOT to be on the phone while I had guests. It strikes me the same way when people are gabbing on their phone while they are supposed to be interacting with people standing in front of them. The funniest, or really the rudest part of it, is if you interrupt THEM in their completely antisocial rude behavior, they look at you like "how dare you".

PS. For crying out loud, turn your stupid ringer off in the movies or at a theater show please. We don't need to know how big your ego is and how important you need to feel -- and really, we don't give a crap about your friend's need to occupy your time while the rest of us want to actually HEAR the show we paid for.

LOL - can you tell I actually hate cellphones? My iPhone is more a portable calendar/internet/music device that allows me to also keep in touch with my family and work IF NECESESARY while on the road. Other than my daughter HAVING to check in from time to time, the rest of it usually ISN'T necessary. You have to wonder how we ever got along without cellphones at all... and it was only a few years ago!

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
handed to mom, she manages to drop it FORWARD almost throwing it on concrete scratching the front, I was pissed at first, still am but its less visible the more I use it, I guess the smudges and oil mixed with wiping buffed it out.

IceTrAiN

Bronze
I use Safari to check out internet based court system for warrants on people but only do so after I am stopped. I bought one of those nice bracketron cup holder brackets for my phone and it rotates to landscape without pushing any buttons or moving anything. I also have a police computer in my car for checking national warrants and vehicle registrations, etc but it does not allow internet access.
You heard it here first folks. The iPhone helps fight crime!

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
haha yeah when im driving to work a lot im trying to change the song on it but its so hardd because im goin like 60 mph (i have a speeding problem) and im trying to look at my iPhone and change the song to one i like lol and then i look up and im almost hittin the grass haha.

emx620

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
So lets hear it, has anyone gotten in an accident or close call while utilizing their fancy new toy? All stories welcome :)
Ok wow, so I started this thread asking this question. last night I was in the access road to get on an interstate and was reading an email on my iPhone. The road all of a sudden curved sharply to the left and I saw it too late. I ran off the road into the curb. The car was still drivable but my alignment is totally screwed. Sucks :(