Accuracy of signal strength bars on iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by Rob7152, May 9, 2013.

1. Rob7152

Rob7152 New Member

When I am at work, my phone usually shows at least 4bars of 4G service. However, when I try to access anything network related, all I get is the loading sign. Can this actually be a "false" signal?

Sent using iCafe app

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The signal strength bars are not always accurate, and they certainly aren't a good way to gauge the likelihood of dropped calls. I drop calls all the time with five bars.

3. Rob7152

Rob7152 New Member

Ok thanks. I was just wondering if there was something I could do to correct this.

Sent using iCafe app

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You can reset your network settings and see if it helps.

Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings

You'll have to put your wifi passwords in again afterwards.

5. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

I see that issue as well. My experience working for a provider suggests that the bars are solely related to cellular signal strength, and have no relationship to data bandwidth or availability.

6. Rob7152

Rob7152 New Member

I always thought that the cellular signal is what carried the data in the first place.

Sent using iCafe app

7. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Yup, it is all carried by the same radio link. For both major cell technologies there are specific ways of routing voice and data once a connection is made to a tower. Typically a radio access network unit negotiates and manages user connections and often negotiates what we think of as signal strength. A cell site also performs lots of other chores which are handled by several internal or remote elements, including a packet data gateway that handles connections to either other phones or the Internet. The gateway is often located at a central location. Depending on the packet type (voice, data or other carrier protocol), the packet is sent to different control units. It's not hard to imagine a scenario where voice traffic is operating fine but data packets are challenged by throughput limitations either at the tower or at the gateway location.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that having good signal bars is needed for any connection, but good bars doesn't necessarily translate to good data throughput for the end user.

8. Rob7152

Rob7152 New Member

Thanks, that explains a lot.

Sent using iCafe app

9. RBNetEngr

RBNetEngr Contributor
    Bronze

I have ATT. You can try this to get more information.

Open the phone app and put the following code in, and press 'Send':

*3001#12345#*

This will provide diagnostic info. The top area where the signal strength bars normally appear will be replaced with a signal strength value. It will always be a negative number, but the closer to zero that the value is (less negative), the higher the signal is.

Generally, once you get above the mid 80s (-85 and more negative) you are getting into a marginal signal level, and performance will be less.

I'm not sure how much info (if any) you will get if your phone is on another provider network.

Hope this helps.

-rb

Sent using iCafe app

10. GeraldParker

GeraldParker New Member

And where would you enter that code RB?

11. GeraldParker

GeraldParker New Member

Never mind my stupid question. The word send was what hung me up