Achieving near full wifi speeds?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rollinfromhell, Nov 11, 2014.

1. rollinfromhell

Gold

Is there a way to boost my wifi speed? I'm sitting near my router and have 100 percent signal. I just got bumped by time warner from 100 to 300mbps, and I know this is a bit of stretch since it already is excellent. I am getting around 200mbps, over wifi N at 5ghz. I am wondering if I can somehow get near or boost my speed up a bit? Or is this all the N card can achieve? I know it sounds a bit of a stretch and it's already great, but my mac doesn't have an ethernet port and honestly my house is sorta long, so the cord wouldn't reach without it being 50-100 feet.

2. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I believe the N series is between 300-400 mbps. I've had all kinds of questions about Wi-Fi and routers at Best Buy. The highest I've seen is on the high-performance cards delivering 600 mbps. You don't usually get rated speeds and have to depend on your provider for max ul/dl speeds.

3. rollinfromhell

Gold

Well hardwired on my desktop, I'm getting 324mbps down, and about 23mbps up. How can I increase my wifi speeds from my mac?

4. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Well... On anything other than AC I've never came close to advertised speeds. On AC however, I can get speeds as advertised or even a little faster..

Maybe get a router that has AC? I have a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 and it flat out screams! The downside is that this router cost $200 smack-a-roos...

Is it really that important? Not many humans will ever need the speeds you are already getting. I have AT&T U-Verse and get a blazing 24 down and 4 up (the top tier offered in my area) and I get by just fine..

#4 raqball, Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  5. rollinfromhell

Gold

Well it is, because I'm paying for it and would like to somehow achieve that speed I'm paying for on a device that has no Ethernet port. That and downloading things, which makes life so much faster/easier. Specially dealing with 700mb-1gb DSLR files from google drive, and collaborating with my brother back and forth. It would just be nice.

Just was asking how I can achieve such speed over wi-fi. That's all.

6. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

If you want blazing speed, there are a couple things to consider. First off, upgrading your router would help. The nighthawk routers are a good choice if you're willing to spend the money or get an AC router. Second, consider a cable connection or satellite internet. Finally, you will never hit advertised speeds with any sort of. It's generally a ballpark figure.

7. rollinfromhell

Gold

Completely understandable. We are talking about wireless. I have a 300mbps connection, and Time Warner has been the only one to go above and usually beyond their advertised speed (at least in a rural area like I live). I get around 325mbps down, and 23mbps up. 250 or so would be nice if I did make the upgrade to AC. Thanks for the help!

One last question, is there a way to strictly change my wireless mode from the laptop itself to say (n only) if I am not using an airport device on my home network?

8. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

You might be able to change the wireless mode to n only in the router settings. If your router supports remote access, you would be able to change it from any location. It would be faster to make the change on your home network.

9. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Wish I could complain about 'only' getting 200 down..

Screenshot (2).png

I am suppose to get 24 down and 4 up..

10. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I would love to get 200 down... but for now 12 down. I have Centurylink who formerly was Qwest.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

324 Mbps isn't fast enough? The fastest I can get is 15 Mbps down. I'd be thrilled to get even 40 Mbps without having to move.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  12. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I don't know anyone who gets 324Mbps down. This is about it with my Comcast.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416080144.325305.jpg

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

13. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

I called Comcast to complain about my speeds today. I have the Blast package and I rarely even see a quarter of that at about 25-30 Mbps. ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1417229267.738844.jpg

I ran a bunch of tests today in different areas of my house. I tried resetting my router today and saw a slight boost for one test. A service rep is coming out on Tuesday to check the modem. My WIFI range sucks as well after switching to their modem/router combo. I am tired of paying $97 a month for way less than advertised speeds.

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

$97 for internet alone or does that include cable?
    Have you considered trying this? https://medium.com/@mariociabarra/wifried-ios-8-wifi-performance-issues-3029a164ce94

15. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

Thank you for the tip. I tried a couple of things on that site recommended. I turned off Bluetooth and also changed the DNS setting on the last test and saw an immediate increase in the speed test on my iPad. This is way better on my iPad, but still a fraction of what I should be seeing for $97 a month for internet only. I changed the same settings on my iPhone and barely saw a difference. I ran a speed test on my wife's laptop and it was horrific, although her laptop is about 6-7 years old and she refuses to get a new one.

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1417238184.912275.jpg