Activate an iPhone that has never been

darmac

Dec 5, 2007
I just bought a 3g iPhone that has never been activated. It has been jailbroken but not unlocked. It also has the baseband that will not allow it to be unlocked. I don't have an active AT&T sim card to test the phone. Everything works via wifi but when I put a sim in it just doesn't recognize it. Since it is not unlocked will it still work for an AT&T subscriber with a 3g sim card?

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
I just bought a 3g iPhone that has never been activated. It has been jailbroken but not unlocked. It also has the baseband that will not allow it to be unlocked. I don't have an active AT&T sim card to test the phone. Everything works via wifi but when I put a sim in it just doesn't recognize it. Since it is not unlocked will it still work for an AT&T subscriber with a 3g sim card?
Do you have a special Baseband? All recently Baseband can be unlocked?

What iPhone firmware version are you using?

drumthrasher109

Bronze
Jan 9, 2009
drumsplace.co.cc
Maybe the iPhone that you purchased was of a different carrier with a slightly different baseband than AT&T's...

I would try yellowsn0w real quick to see if it works. You can install it through Cydia. When it's done installing, just restart your iPhone with the new SIM and it should connect to the network.

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Maybe the iPhone that you purchased was of a different carrier with a slightly different baseband than AT&T's...

I would try yellowsn0w real quick to see if it works. You can install it through Cydia. When it's done installing, just restart your iPhone with the new SIM and it should connect to the network.
Baseband and Carriers have nothing to do with Baseband! The Baseband are controlling information between the iPhone hardware and the Firmware...;)

darmac

Dec 5, 2007
Its got version 2.1 sf 136 and a baseband of 02.30.03 I have been able to jailbreak it but when i put in a sim it will not recognize it. I have tried an att 3g sim and my current tmobile sim. It just says no sim installed. I have tried everything suggested in this trhead. I am wondering if I just simply have a bad phone that will not "see" any sim card that is put in it. I guess thats what I get for not testing it out before i bought it off craigslist. any more help would be appreciated....thanks

drumthrasher109

Bronze
Jan 9, 2009
drumsplace.co.cc
Not sure about that one...

You should have known not to upgrading to 2.2.1 without blocking the baseband update.

darmac

Dec 5, 2007
Not sure about that one...

You should have known not to upgrading to 2.2.1 without blocking the baseband update.
I should have done my hoework before I bought it. It had this software on it when i bought it...