Activate Help

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Hey my son has an iPhone 4 on our AT&T contract and my wife recently upgraded from her 4S to a new 5. Can I activate her 4S for him or do I have to go to the AT&T store and pay the $36?

If I can do it would someone mind listing the steps involved?

Thanks!

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Hello. Does your wife still have a SIM card for her 4S? If not, then she will have to get one from AT&T for the iPhone 4S and then discuss a data plan depending on what your son is going to do with the iPhone, such as Internet usage and making phone calls. What plan are y'all currently on?

Sent using iCafe app

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
He has a sim card and a data plan in the iPhone 4 so can I just pop it out and put it in the 4S?
The problem is, it will still need to be activated for the iPhone 4S phone number. I'm going by memory here, but I believe you will need to get a new SIM card from AT&T. The iPhone 4 SIM card will still contain the phone number and data information.

There are steps to activate an iPhone, but this, from my experience, is when you buy a brand new iPhone. If I were you, I would contact AT&T and see what your option is to switch users. Your wife has a new iPhone 5, and your son is going to be using the iPhone 4S. AT&T can easily switch users to a different line, but he will need a SIM card for the iPhone 4S for the phone number, unless he is going to stay with his current phone number and data plan.

It sounds like you'll need AT&T to do a little switcheroo which my mom and I have done in the past. The process went very smoothly with AT&T's help over the phone.

Sent using iCafe app

Ms Cola

Bronze
Sep 18, 2007
www.marykay.com
Since your Son already have an iPhone 4 with plan you should be able to take his SIM card out of the iPhone 4 and put it in the iPhone 4S and nothing should change.

Sent using iCafe app

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Since your Son already have an iPhone 4 with plan you should be able to take his SIM card out of the iPhone 4 and put it in the iPhone 4S and nothing should change.

Sent using iCafe app
This sounds correct, but the iPhone 4S will still need to be reactivated under the iPhone 4 plan and phone number.

Sent using iCafe app

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
The problem is, it will still need to be activated for the iPhone 4S phone number. I'm going by memory here, but I believe you will need to get a new SIM card from AT&T. The iPhone 4 SIM card will still contain the phone number and data information.

There are steps to activate an iPhone, but this, from my experience, is when you buy a brand new iPhone. If I were you, I would contact AT&T and see what your option is to switch users. Your wife has a new iPhone 5, and your son is going to be using the iPhone 4S. AT&T can easily switch users to a different line, but he will need a SIM card for the iPhone 4S for the phone number, unless he is going to stay with his current phone number and data plan.

It sounds like you'll need AT&T to do a little switcheroo which my mom and I have done in the past. The process went very smoothly with AT&T's help over the phone.

Sent using iCafe app

Perfect... About 15 minutes on the phone with AT&T and presto it's a done deal. Not off to ebay with an iPhone 4! Thanks again!:)

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Perfect... About 15 minutes on the phone with AT&T and presto it's a done deal. Not off to ebay with an iPhone 4! Thanks again!:)
Not a problem at all! Glad I could help.

Good luck on selling your iPhone 4 on eBay. Be sure to put a picture of the front and back. Also include all of what is included if anything. I've had pretty good luck with eBay. The way I sold my iPhones was through auction but I also had a buy it now option. Also I looked to see what other iPhones of the same kind as mine sold for on eBay before listing mine.

Sent using iCafe app