Activate iPhone for AT&T after modding?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

umakbill

Bronze
Aug 17, 2007
If I mod my iPhone and trick it into thinking it's activated, is there a way for me to activate it on AT&T's network afterward? I've heard that updating the firmware will remove all mods, but will my iPhone still work on EDGE and as an actual cell phone if I mod it before actual activation? In other words: can I un-activate it after modding so I can activate it for AT&T?

SiLeNtKiLLa

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta
If I mod my iPhone and trick it into thinking it's activated, is there a way for me to activate it on AT&T's network afterward? I've heard that updating the firmware will remove all mods, but will my iPhone still work on EDGE and as an actual cell phone if I mod it before actual activation? In other words: can I un-activate it after modding so I can activate it for AT&T?
Yes! You may have to restore to re-activate any way, but its possible.

umakbill

Bronze
Aug 17, 2007
alright, I'm actually trying to so it right now, but when my phone reconnects to iTunes it unlocks it! I tried deleting all my backup versions, and I'm doing restore/recovery again, but I just need to find a way to undo the unliocking. That shouldn't be hard, right?

umakbill

Bronze
Aug 17, 2007
:mad: iTunes keeps unlocking it! I deleted all my backups, I'm scared! Is there anywhere with instructions on how to un-unlock an iPhone?!

skiz420

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Boston
did you try a full restore by holding power and home until the yellow triangle comes up then pull the usb cord and plug it back in while still holding them then let go... it should say in iTunes that it is in recovery mode and must restore... should set it to factory settings

umakbill

Bronze
Aug 17, 2007
I put it in recovery mode every time, but now I got it back to the "Activate iPhone" screen. (After 4 long tries) I'm now trying to activate using iTunes, but I keep getting an error saying "We could not complete your iTunes Store request. A secure network connection could not be established. Make sure SSL 3.0 or TSL 1.0 is enabled in the Internet Options control panel, then try again." I checked Apple.com, checked my firewall, my settings, Control Panel, and #iPhone. I ran a diagnostic on iTunes and it said it was fine. I can access the iTunes store, but not activate my iPhone. I even reinstalled my iTunes, rebooted, unistalled iTunes, installed newer iTunes, rebooted, and reinstalled that. I'm going to kill someone.

umakbill

Bronze
Aug 17, 2007
I shut off all my firewalls and tried again, no luck. I'm gunna call AT&T to activate, or use my friend's laptop.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Also make sure that your hosts file doesn't contain any entries from when you originally unlocked it. Like this:
127.0.0.1 albert.apple.com

This will prevent the iTunes store from being contacted.

--
Mike

umakbill

Bronze
Aug 17, 2007
I used my friends laptop, it works now. Still don't know what was wrong, but im using the phone to type now, it seems okay.