Activating iPhone question

hanlee80

Sep 19, 2007
My roommate has an iPhone activated on AT&T. I have currently have tmobile. I had unlocked my phone and had been using it on tmobile until recently when the touchscreen on the phone stopped working. I restored the phone and tried to return the phone to Apple but the store told me that they would only give me a new phone once I activated the phone thus starting my warranty. I was wondering, if I activated my phone using my roommate's account, would he be able to take the SIM card out of my phone afterwards and put that back into his phone to use his phone again? I just need to have my phone activated to start the warranty. Thanks

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
My roommate has an iPhone activated on AT&T. I have currently have tmobile. I had unlocked my phone and had been using it on tmobile until recently when the touchscreen on the phone stopped working. I restored the phone and tried to return the phone to Apple but the store told me that they would only give me a new phone once I activated the phone thus starting my warranty. I was wondering, if I activated my phone using my roommate's account, would he be able to take the SIM card out of my phone afterwards and put that back into his phone to use his phone again? I just need to have my phone activated to start the warranty. Thanks

They each have different IMEI numbers to prevent that.

Just activate on a GO monthly plan, then cancel later. Research that.

hanlee80

Sep 19, 2007
They each have different IMEI numbers to prevent that.

Just activate on a GO monthly plan, then cancel later. Research that.
Can't my roommate just go back to his old phone after activating mine and then activate his again and not have his account active on my phone?

Actually, the new iPhone won't activate without having the sim card that it came with. I bought a new iPhone to use as the number my old iPhone was using and the only way the new phone would activate was by using the sim he new phone came with. It still activated and transfered my old phones number to it.

Since my new iPhone would not activate with any sim other than the new one it came with, I don't see how your idea could work.

Once it was activated, I could use my GoPhones sim in it perfectly.

hanlee80

Sep 19, 2007
The reason is because of the IMEI number, each phone has a diff number.

Just look on the back and you will see it. That is the reason:(
The reason why I was hoping to have my roommate activate the phone is because I need it activated to get a replacement. Once I get the replacement, it will be activated under my roommate's account. I was hoping that he would be able to go back to his old phone and activate his account again on his old phone and thus not having his account active on my phone. So the question is, once my roommate activates his account on my iPhone, can he go back to his old iPhone and transfer his account back there and not have his account active on my phone?