Activating (not unlocking) iPhone question

Vitavo

Oct 4, 2007
Hello, new member with a quick question
If i were to activate my iPhone outside of iTunes, could i later activate with AT&T via iTunes? is there some way to de-activate the iPhone so that iTunes will go through the activation process?

thanks

ps this has nothing to do with unlocking, i will be using AT&T, just not right away

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I think the only way to "de-activate" the iPhone and then activate through iTunes would be to do a full restore of the phone once you're ready to make the switch to AT&T, otherwise you run the risk of Bricking your iPhone.

Vitavo

Oct 4, 2007
I think the only way to "de-activate" the iPhone and then activate through iTunes would be to do a full restore of the phone once you're ready to make the switch to AT&T, otherwise you run the risk of Bricking your iPhone.
so a full restore will lock the phone again, bring it back to factory settings and iTunes will see it as a new phone?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
so a full restore will lock the phone again, bring it back to factory settings and iTunes will see it as a new phone?
Yup yup yup. It will appear as if your phone is fresh out of the box. Well, software-wise at least.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
When you restore, iTunes will give an option like this:

[] Activate as new phone
[] Restore from backup of [Your iPhone's name here]

Vitavo

Oct 4, 2007
thank you, thats what i needed to know!