Activating Someone's Old Phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by John Dorian, Oct 30, 2011.

1. John Dorian

John Dorian New Member

I have a family members old iPhone that was replaced but was found to be working again. Is it possible to use it on a different line to replace my old 3gs?

2. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

Sure. For a different carrier you need it SIM-unlocked. But for the same carrier you pop in your SIM card and away you go!

3. John Dorian

John Dorian New Member

But the iPhone 3gs is a smaller sim card than the iPhone 4... its the same carrier (att)

4. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Actually, the 3GS uses a standard size sim card. The iPhone 4 & 4S use a smaller one. There are adapters for sale on the Internet to make them interchangeable.

5. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Just go to AT&T and tell them you need a new sim card for the phone. I think they are like $10 or so. Shouldn't be a problem at all.

6. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Probably the best idea. I was just in last week and they gave me a new sim card to replace a GoPhone card I had that was locked to a particular phone. Gave me the option of regular or mini, at no charge.

7. John Dorian

John Dorian New Member

yes. I just want to use this iPhone 4 as a temp till I get the 4s. I just don't want to use my upgrade for it.

8. katelynneemma

katelynneemma Evangelist
    Gold

They won't use your upgrade for a sim card. I've gone to AT&T a couple of times to switch out phones. The corporate store near me has never charged me for a new sim.