Activation & Phone # question

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

dooki

Sep 21, 2007
CA
When you're activating a new iPhone plan through iTunes does it let you flip through phone numbers if you don't like the one they give you?

Also, how difficult is it to port your old number if you don't do it when you're first activating your iPhone?

My situation: My contract with Verizon doesn't end until 12/15. But I'll be damned if I can wait another week to get an iPhone :p. So I plan on getting one this weekend. If I activate the iPhone this weekend I can't port my number until next weekend. So I'm assuming I'll have to call AT&T to get this done, right?

I did a search and read that you're supposed to tell AT&T to give you a temporary number and then port your old number later on. But how do you do this if you're activating through iTunes? Is there an option or something?

Thanks!

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Have you picked up the phone and called AT&T?

When you're activating a new iPhone plan through iTunes does it let you flip through phone numbers if you don't like the one they give you?

Also, how difficult is it to port your old number if you don't do it when you're first activating your iPhone?

My situation: My contract with Verizon doesn't end until 12/15. But I'll be damned if I can wait another week to get an iPhone :p. So I plan on getting one this weekend. If I activate the iPhone this weekend I can't port my number until next weekend. So I'm assuming I'll have to call AT&T to get this done, right?

I did a search and read that you're supposed to tell AT&T to give you a temporary number and then port your old number later on. But how do you do this if you're activating through iTunes? Is there an option or something?

Thanks!

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
as far as getting to pick what number you want or flip through a couple that is a negative when i activated mine a screen poped up and was like this is your number... And for porting over i don't think that its that hard but im not for sure about with att i did it with tmobile to verizon no problem though

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
Porting your number over is done through iTunes when you activate your phone. It usually takes a day (or more if you have Verizon and your contract isn't up, Verizon is stubborn).

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
quckest thing is to just get a new number you will be up and running within 10 mins

yes as long as you don't mind telling everyone your new number. I've had my same number for 7 years now and it's on all the businesss cards I've ever passed out. Makes it hard to change numbers for some of us :)

But yes, it is much quicker to do that if you are able to.

GolfNut

Bronze
Oct 15, 2007
I ported over my old number 6 weeks after buying and activating my iPhone with a new number. I wanted to "trial" the iPhone and AT&T service before my Sprint contract expired. The porting was easy to do via iTunes after the fact.

John

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
Porting your number over is done through iTunes when you activate your phone. It usually takes a day (or more if you have Verizon and your contract isn't up, Verizon is stubborn).
Ported mine in 10 minutes from Verizon. This was about two months ago so it may have changed how long it takes.

Dec 6, 2007
I'd say call AT&T first and ask them what's the best method.

Most likely, you'll be using a temp. number until your contract is up.

When I first switched to AT&T, my Verizon contract still had about 2 months left on it. They gave me a number to call to port my number over, but when I tried, it didn't work :(.

dooki

Sep 21, 2007
CA
I ported over my old number 6 weeks after buying and activating my iPhone with a new number. I wanted to "trial" the iPhone and AT&T service before my Sprint contract expired. The porting was easy to do via iTunes after the fact.

John

You were able to port your # via iTunes after you already got a new number? So you didn't have to go through AT&T customer service at all?

GolfNut

Bronze
Oct 15, 2007
You were able to port your # via iTunes after you already got a new number? So you didn't have to go through AT&T customer service at all?

Dooki:

I was mistaken, sorry. I bought two phones. The one I ported my Sprint number to I did have to get the AT&T support involved with. I was at the AT&T store and had them call their techies for the porting and it worked great. That was 6 weeks after I bought the first phone and had been using it with a temp number.

The second phone was for my girlfriend who already had an AT&T phone and attaching the iPhone to her existing number was very easy via the initial iTunes activation process.