Activation question: 1.0.2 or 1.1.1?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

wmflyfisher

Bronze
Oct 10, 2007
Athens, GA
I should be getting my iPhone today. When I activate it will I have the option to choose what firmware I want? If so, should I choose 1.0.2 over 1.1.1 for ease of future modding purposes? Any help would be great.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
I should be getting my iPhone today. When I activate it will I have the option to choose what firmware I want? If so, should I choose 1.0.2 over 1.1.1 for ease of future modding purposes? Any help would be great.
For modding right now it *might* be easier to mod the 1.02 phone since the new break for 1.1.1 might be easy but not super easy like the 1.02 GUI based program. I did mine on 1.02 to get a feel for how much I can screw with the phone and what instabilities it might cause. I am not sure just how much information/experience exists just yet with how stable 1.1.1 is with heavy modding. So personally I would do a 1.02 phone and let the 1.1.1 stuff mature a little more before making that jump.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
Oh - just realized I did not answer the question directly. The phone will not tell you to pick the firmware version, it will be what is on the phone - period. When you might get a chose is when you plug it in to iTunes it might tell you there is an update available, but nothing requires you to take "advantage" of the update.

nobbie

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
1.0.2 versions should have cleared through the pipeline by now, no? If so, then they all come with 1.1.1.

tdefriez

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Make little difference really - 1.1.1 adds bug fixes, iTunes store, interface tweaks

I had a locked 1.1.1 iPhone and a unlocked 1.0.2 iPhone (don't ask one on T-Mobile and one on AT&T). I know have two 1.1.1 iPhones one on AT&T and one on T-Mobile - both hacked and unlocked. The T-Mobile phone was on 1.0.2 due to possible brick issue (unlocked via iUnlock so). I downgrade the 1.1.1 to 1.0.2 (all instructions seem the same), unlocked it with iPhoneSIMFree (full tested by users with 1.1.1 FW, unlike the current free options). Upgraded via UNIX commands manually (I use UNIX at work so no real issues). This phone is on AT&T still. The 1.0.2 was unlocked using iPhoneSIMFree (worked a treat), fixed baseband issue as well, upgraded as normal and then hacked using one click method. Both have no real issues which were not there on base 1.1.1 AT&T phone initially.
So what are the benefits I hear you ask? None really other than some minor interface tweaks - iTunes Store is not a must for me. The only other advantage is that both phone are now current although hacked and unlocked (I don't think AT&T/Apple can break the iPhoneSIMFree unlock as it survives 1.1.1 upgrade (rumors are they have some way to generate valid unlock codes) - they will only be hosed by activation changes (which ws basically what happened with the 1.1.1 upgrade.