Activation taking too long...so i swapped the SIM!

Branman

Bronze
Sep 16, 2008
So basically what the title says. I am tired of waiting for AT&T to activate my phone basically so i put my sim in from my 3g. The phone popped right on and is working fine. Now im wondering if this will cause any issues with the activating process. I did install my sim from my new 3Gs into my old phone and it says waiting for activation. I just want to make sure im not going to screw with anything by doing this. I hope this all has not been a repost. I really didn't want to swap it but I have been waiting since 2pmest yesterday and im sick of waiting to enjoy my new phone. AT&T is really dropping the ball on this iPhone stuff. No MMS on launch and now i cant even use my new 3Gs cause they couldnt keep up with launch day i guess. Thanks everyone

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
I did the same thing worked like a charm. However 12 hours later when out to dinner the phone went dead. Lucky I was carrying the new sim card in my pocket. I swapped them out again and all is well.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I did the same thing. The new SIM wouldn't activate so I swapped it with the old 3G SIM. The 3GS works fine and the 3G has "no service". If the SIM in the 3G ends up activating, I'm just going to switch them back.

No worries, just swap them if it ends up activating.

Branman

Bronze
Sep 16, 2008
Sweet thank you! Is there any downside to using an old sim?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Nope.......

JimD

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
New Market, MD. USA
Irrelevant.
He is using a 3G SIM with a 3GS phone, which can be done.
Of course it can. My post was intended partly as sarcasm, and partly to prevent those who have V1s from thinking they should try this.

I am off to the AT&T store (opens in 30 minutes) to see if I can get this "activation pending" thing resolved.

Branman

Bronze
Sep 16, 2008
hope all works out. post up with any new info. I would still like to use my new sim card when it does get activated.

MiataLord

Bronze
Oct 10, 2007
Orange County, CA
im using the sim that came with my v1, it says 3g on the sim card, is there a difference between the v1 and the 3gs sim card?

JimD

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
New Market, MD. USA
im using the sim that came with my v1, it says 3g on the sim card, is there a difference between the v1 and the 3gs sim card?
I don't know... maybe someone else does?

I never tried it based on others' recommendations against it.

The good news is that somehow the AT&T store guy fixed it. He did a bunch of typing, then power cycled the 3GS after putting the V1 in "airplane mode". Then he announced triumphantly that I just needed to turn off the V1 and it would have completed. The weird thing about that is that my wife's activation went smoothly and instantaneously - without turning off her V1 or putting it into "airplane mode". :confused:

gulbane

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
Interestingly, last night my GS was stuck in the "activating, this may take a while screen" for several hours. It turns out that the touch screen did not work on the left side - so I had to exchange it for a new one this morning at the Apple store.

The guy told me to simply put my 3G sim into the new 3GS and all will be fine - so this is endorsed by Apple at least.

I'm curious to know though when you guys are doing this? I mean do you restore from backup FIRST and THEN (2 hours later once the backup is loaded) put the old sim card it? Or do you open the box, put the sim card in and THEN restore from backup?

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
10 hours and mine is still not activated. Going from a v1, refuse to change the SIMs.

gadgetgal

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Who knows with all of this?! I initiated the activation a little after 7 PM eastern yesterday and had absolutely no problem at all.
I ordered from AT&T online on 6/12, and my phone was delivered by 3PM to my house on "3GS opening day". I got home from work, ran a few errands, and then from my 3G, I called into the 866# as prompted by the e-mail. First I heard something about high call volume, but then it threw me right into the automated process. I used my wireless number as the identifier. It then told me it's activated, and to just wait 10 minutes. I went back 1/2 hour later, hooked the 3GS up to iTunes, did a restore to transfer everything over from the 3G to the 3GS, and voila, it was activated. No muss, no fuss- done. Everything is transferred in there, phone is working fine.

gadgetgal

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Wait, you have to call?
I don't know where this might factor in, but I have a FAN account which gives a little discount via my company, so my wireless account is always served under "businesss" customer service. But yes, for my 3G S, I was provided a number to call to activate the phone, and it was all automated and fast from there, did it right from home. Called the number, then went via iTunes to complete the process. I came from the 3G and had a V1 before that. Last year the store had to activate it, and I could only do it at AT&T because of the FAN account, but I think everyone had to activate at Apple or AT&T or whatever for the 3G, at least when it first came out. (wouldn't know about later). I had my phone delivered to my house, and yes, had a number to call to activate it from home. How did you get your phone?

notjustgc

Bronze
Jun 18, 2009
Is there a step you guys are missing or something? I had to use the AT&T web activation tool [http://www.att.com/Activations] to do it, but honestly within 30 seconds of clicking the last "submit" button on there, I rebooted the 3GS and it was good to go.

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
Is there a step you guys are missing or something? I had to use the AT&T web activation tool [http://www.att.com/Activations] to do it, but honestly within 30 seconds of clicking the last "submit" button on there, I rebooted the 3GS and it was good to go.
Well, I just did all the steps and shut my phone off because it says to wait 15 minutes. I will be back in that time with the verdict. BUT, if this does work, you are the man/woman!