Active Directory on iPad/iPhone

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
Hey everyone - kind of a technical question here. Does anyone know how to get Active Directory Authentication working on the iPad. At my workplace - we have it setup for multiple web based systems/logins - however when I access those same systems through the iPad/iPhone, I am always prompted for a username and password. Ideas?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I don't think that there is a domain account setup on the iPad. That said, I do believe you can get a password manager app and use it to remember the user/pass combo for the web sites you need.
By default, since you aren't directly authenticating with AD, that's why you're currently getting prompted with every page.

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
Interesting article - however this seems to address the issue of non-authorized devices connecting to the companies internal network while at work. This is true in most organizations as the iPad is out of the box able to accept and validate certificates over the network.

Still on the hunt for a way to authenticate specific applications / systems through true AD though.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Well in the article, it sounds like his problem would have gone away had they used nonexportable certificates.

Beemer

Bronze
Jan 24, 2010
Calgary AB, Scottsdale, AZ
There has to be this ability because Exchange email uses AD for authentication. When you enter the ID/Password are you using the domain name? i.e. domain\userid