actual battery life

mdixon1988

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
springfield, missouri
sooooooo, is the battery life actually longer than that of the first iPhone? I am thinking of just keeping my first iPhone and just doing the iTunes upgrade instead of buying the whole new phone......i am torn:mad: what to do, what to do....if the battery life is a hell of a lot better i might buy the new one..... but is it? Does anyone know?

Snazy30

Bronze
Jun 29, 2008
sooooooo, is the battery life actually longer than that of the first iPhone? I am thinking of just keeping my first iPhone and just doing the iTunes upgrade instead of buying the whole new phone......i am torn:mad: what to do, what to do....if the battery life is a hell of a lot better i might buy the new one..... but is it? Does anyone know?
well steve jobs said there was a slight improvement in battery life, but i saw the review for the 3G and they said that most days ure battery wont last all day or that by the end of the day it will already be really low. just ask yourself if slightly faster internet is worth a new contract and an extra 200 bucks? This is my first iPhone so there is no stopping me.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
The reviews are saying the battery life is sketchy at best. Walt Mossberg said his iPhone 3G dropped into the red (20% battery charge) by mid to early afternoon everyday.

mdixon1988

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
springfield, missouri
thanks... i appreciate it guys! i was just torn as to what to do! guess i will just do the iTunes upgrade<sigh>...oh well, i wish it would do picture messaging too! Maybe one day! :)

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Well, Apple HAD to improve its battery to even use 3G since it sucks juice faster than EDGE plus the GPS is always on.

Mossberg had problems but after the first charge, batteries don't always have a full life. Ed Baig from USA Today says you have to charge it every night.

If you don't need the speed for the internet, I'd stick with the v1.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I'm getting iPhone 3G, however, i don't have 3G coverage in my area, so I'll have 3G turned off, thereforee, I will have longer battery life. So, it depends on what you're using.

- John

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I'm getting iPhone 3G, however, i don't have 3G coverage in my area, so I'll have 3G turned off, thereforee, I will have longer battery life. So, it depends on what you're using.

- John
2G should definitely help it instead of 3G. I guess Steve knew what he was talking about last year when he said 3G sucked the life out of batteries. I'm sure it will be fine, but you'll just have to charge it more than the first one.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
The point is that iPhone 3G would stay alive longer when using 3G than a V1 iPhone would.

@mdixon - All areas covered by 3G are listed here.

- John

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Yes! Haha! I just saw on that page that Charleston has 3G!

(Excuse the excessive use of exclamation points, I'm just a tad happy right now)

- John

juzcallmeg0d

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
Yes! Haha! I just saw on that page that Charleston has 3G!

(Excuse the excessive use of exclamation points, I'm just a tad happy right now)

- John
YAY! im so happy for you! :D

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
The point is that iPhone 3G would stay alive longer when using 3G than a V1 iPhone would.

@mdixon - All areas covered by 3G are listed here.

- John
That list doesn't seem to be complete (just in case you don't see your city listed). If you look at the coverage map, Davis, CA is solid blue, but doesn't appear in the list.

But congrats on your coverage, John! That's a nice surprise (though I guess it's gonna decrease your battery life ;)).

winterymix

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
St. Albans, WV
Yeah John. Charleston just went 3G about 10 days ago. It was my only hold-off on the new phone. Now I *have* to have one. Really..

ron ll

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
The three reviewers all said they had trouble with the battery lasting a full day. But think about it. If you had a couple of advanced days to preview it, you would be using it constantly, all day. I had the same problem when I first bought the v1, then after the new wore off, it settled down to where the battery would easily last me a couple of days.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
That list doesn't seem to be complete (just in case you don't see your city listed). If you look at the coverage map, Davis, CA is solid blue, but doesn't appear in the list.

But congrats on your coverage, John! That's a nice surprise (though I guess it's gonna decrease your battery life ;)).
I agree. Columbus, GA is 3G now too, but it still doesn't show up on that coverage map. The best way to know is to ask someone with a 3G phone, or call your local AT&T store.

juzcallmeg0d

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
I agree. Columbus, GA is 3G now too, but it still doesn't show up on that coverage map. The best way to know is to ask someone with a 3G phone, or call your local AT&T store.
haha thats funny, because i checked the coverage for PA. and Lancaster is on the list, but on the map it is covered in light blue (edge only).

so i duno how accurate either one is