Actual screen size

scraggles

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
I'm curious. I read the actual screen is identical in size to the original iPhone. I ordered a $0.01 screen protector online to hold me over, and I have it and it seems like its pretty durable. I don't have the phone yet so I don't now how it will fit.

Is this true, is the screen exactly the same size?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yup, it's exactly the same size. The portion around the screen is slightly larger on the 3G, but the screen dimensions are identical.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I don't know the exact measurements off the top of my head, but the viewable area is the same on both iPhones, but the actual screen size of the 3G iPhone is slightly larger since the phone as a whole is a wee bit wider than the first generation iPhone...

scraggles

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
I don't know the exact measurements off the top of my head, but the viewable area is the same on both iPhones, but the actual screen size of the 3G iPhone is slightly larger since the phone as a whole is a wee bit wider than the first generation iPhone...

It's the plastic that is wider. The glass is the exact same size...

And, since thats cleared up, I'm off to lmao at all the people who insisted on gettting '3G' screen protectors costing them 10-30$ when I spent 1 penny. Thats 1/5 of a bottle return. :)

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD

And, since thats cleared up, I'm off to lmao at all the people who insisted on gettting '3G' screen protectors costing them 10-30$ when I spent 1 penny. Thats 1/5 of a bottle return. :)
Plastic? On my v2, the glass is a little wider, I'm pretty sure.

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
The glass front on the 3G is definitely bigger. The radius of the corners is bigger. You can see additional glass on either side of the screen and there is more space around the home button. I paid for a 3G screen protector and am happy becuz it actually fits the screen.

The phone itself is actually slightly wider also, but the glass is bigger primarily because it was pushed out toward the edges more.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com

The 3G iPhone is 1.1mm wider than the first generation iPhone. The border around the screen is indeed wider (keeping the viewable area the same size as the first iPhone), but the wider phone means that the glass on the front is wider as well. If your screen protector is meant to fit the first generation iPhone, it will leave a bit of a gap on both sides on the 3G iPhone's screen...

scraggles

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
Either way. $0.05 compared to $10+... Big deal if 1-2mm on each side isn't protected. I doubt that is going to get scratched. My blackberry 8830 is still in perfect condition without even having a case/screen protector after 7 months.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Either way. $0.05 compared to $10+... Big deal if 1-2mm on each side isn't protected. I doubt that is going to get scratched. My blackberry 8830 is still in perfect condition without even having a case/screen protector after 7 months.
If you don't care if it fits exactly or not, why did you even bother asking?

scraggles

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
out of curiosity. I couldn't find the information anywhere online and I know there are plenty of addicts here who had both phones and could let me know.

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com
out of curiosity. I couldn't find the information anywhere online and I know there are plenty of addicts here who had both phones and could let me know.
Hello, my name is iCafe, and i am an addict
thanks for wasting our time

scraggles

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
Nice to meet you iCafe, I didn't waste anyones time. I'm 100% positive that each and everyone of you came to this thread willingly.